Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK353 - Unstable internet & unstable connection to satellites

JasperXIII
Aspirant

Orbi RBK353 - Unstable internet & unstable connection to satellites

Hi all, 

This is my first post here. I recently bought a Orbi RBK353, but things haven't been going as planned... at all. I seem to have two issues, and I'm not sure whether they are linked. If not, mods can always split this into two subjects.

First, a small overview of my network setup:

DSL connection -> Modem (Proximus B-box 3) -> Orbi RBR350

-> 2 RBS350 satellites connected through wireless backhaul

-> Multiple devices connected through ethernet, among it a TP-link switch for additional ports

The Orbi Router connects to the internet using PPPoE. Aside from some port forwarding, settings are pretty much default.

RBR350 firmwareV4.4.1.29_3.10.80

RBS350 firmware: V4.4.0.10 & V4.4.1.29 (see issue 2)

Issue 1: Internet connection issues

After installation, we've experienced multiple issues of the network slowing down or even losing its connection. It started with DNS issues once or twice a week, but recently it's just the entire network failing on a near-daily basis. In the beginning a reboot of the router seemed to solve the issues. I somethimes lost connection to the satellites, but they came back online after a few hours or days. I then updated from v4.4.0.10 to 4.4.1.29 (see above), hoping to get a more stable network, but ever since things seem to have gotten worse. I need to reset my entire network pretty much every day, or even every few hours. 

Issue 2: Satellites lost connection and won't sync

First, I used the auto-updater. This updated the router, not the satellites. Connection to the satellites was lost. Following advice I read here, I downgraded the router again, reconnected the satellites, updated their FW, then updated the router. I haven't been able to connect the satellites since. The satellites did appear in the connected devices list, but not in the upper satellites list. Their webpages are still accessible. I re-initiated the syncing process, without success.

On one of the satellites I performed a factory reset. I think that worked, because the webpage admin login reverted back to the default one. The syncing process keeps failing (blue ring, but no sync). But at the same time, I can see that it's still connected and broadcasting my WiFi. There are even devices connecting through it, as can be seen in the satellite's webpage AND in the router webpage. But still they don't appear in the connected satellites list.

While typing this: almost 24h since last change, the satellites have now appeared in the list, with a status "config sync". I have no clue what this means, or why this appears now.

So I already tried multiple times:

• Updating firmware
  • Factory Reset
  • Network power cycle

I'm pretty tech-savvy, but when it comes to networks I'm not an expert at all. I'm pretty much lost right now. I bought this kit to extend my WiFi coverage, but things are worse than before.  If anyone could help me get this sorted out, that would be amazing.

Don't hesitate to ask more info or questions if needed. I'll gladly provide whatever is needed.

Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK353 - Unstable internet & unstable connection to satellites

I recommend you downgrad the RBR to same version as RBS, then upgrade the RBR FIRST. then upgrade the RBR lastly. RBS need to be udpated first alwasy before the RBR.

Message 2 of 3
JasperXIII
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBK353 - Unstable internet & unstable connection to satellites

Thanks for your reply. As mentioned in my initial post, I did do that after noticing it failed. A google search brought me to this community, where I read that. So I downgraded my RBR back to 4.4.0.10, then upgraded the RBSs to 4.4.1.29, then RBR to 4.4.1.29. Unfortunately, it didn't resolve the issue(s)

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7