Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK750-setup won't change to the set channel on 5ghz

elliot4
Follower

Orbi RBK750-setup won't change to the set channel on 5ghz

I'm on firmware V4.6.14.3_2.3.12, RBK750 with four RBS750 satelittes on wireless backhaul.

I have a new wifi setup in a house nearby and want to have the Orbi's on channel 1 for 2,4ghz and 36 for 5ghz to not get interference between the two networks. When I chose those two channlels in the webgui under Advanced, it sets the 5ghz to channel 40 (20 mhz). I had it at channel 48 before which seemed to work correctly.

Does anyone know why this happens and how to fix it? Is the combination of channel 1 and 36 making some trouble or am I missing some other setting? I've tried rebooting the network and setting channel 40 and then back to 36 without any luck, and to eliminate internet browser not saving my settings on the Orbi webgui I've tried it on both my HP Laptop and Apple Macbook without luck.

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK750-setup won't change to the set channel on 5ghz

Orbi AX systems has long time not supported channel 36. NG mentioned something back then about 36 having interference issues I think. Been a while. NG just set 40 if 36 was used. I've always used channel 40 since then. Had zero problems on this channel in my neighborhood. Just use channel 40.

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

I view this as a not bug - pure and simple.

• The RBR750 drop down menu provides four options:
  • Selecting 40, 44, or 48 results in
    • The Orbi web interface shows the chosen frequency
    • An independent scan (WiFi Info View) shows the chosen frequency
  • Selecting 36 results in
    • The Orbi web interface shows 36, but
    • An independent scan shows the actual frequency is 40.

There is no valid reason to forbid the user from selecting channel 36 (it's the default for regions WW and JP).

If there were valid reason, then the option should not appear in the drop down menu.

Sloppy programming.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Not a bug. Orbi AX systems has had this since the beginning. Seems to be HW limitation from historical information given. Something that NG probably will never fix going forward as it's not effecting system or wifi operation or causes problems. NG could hide the channel from the UI but since the web ui is a template for Orbi systems and other router systems, NG chose what they chose, and desided to re-direct any selection on channel 36 to channel 40. This is a minor UI issue. No show stopper here. I've been using channel 40 since then and have had great operation with it and most if not all of my wifi devices perfer it. 

Enjoy. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series