Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK752 max users question and location question

RJG202
Guide

Orbi RBK752 max users question and location question

Quick questions on users and distance. The 752 meets my guest and iot requirements.
We are not gamers., average number of users is 20 right now with 2 work from home/zoom calls several smart tvs and a few cameras. I am replacing a nighthawk r7800 that was 4x4 Mimo. The orbi is 2x2. I am also replacing an ex8000 extender.
The orbi says 40 users. Is that limited by ip addresses available or just recommendation?
Will this support my needs with 2x2 mimo?

In regards to coverage my existing router/extender covers my home 2400 square foot plus a lower level basement. Was looking to place orbi router on first floor exterior wall and satellite about 30 ft away where ex8000 in another room. Since I cannot point the antennas does that seem acceptable? To have router and satellite on same floor. As I work in basement and wife works upstairs. It works now I just don’t know if I should opt for something else with 2 satellites?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK752 max users question and location question

Mimo was a bit of a gimmick in those generations. 

Why You Don't Need MU-MIMO - SmallNetBuilder

Its getting better with the AX/BE generations but the AC versions didn't really have much benefit. 

I've used flagship 4x4 routers and orbi 2x2 setups and didn't really notice much difference. You might see a bit of speed benefit if you're pretty close to the flagship router but otherwise, not much at all. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

I'm in a 3200sqft home and a router + 1 satellite covered mine fine. And I had over 60 devices on mine with 4x 4k TVs, a server, and a main gaming PC. It did great. I can't say 100% it will be for you as well but it worked for me. 

In terms of placement, I usually tell people to move them around a bit to try different configurations. Sometimes things in the walls like hvac/plumbing can make the "ideal" locations not work as well as a different setup. I tried a ton of configurations in my home to determine the best placement depending on if i didn't use a satellite or used a multitude of them. 

Message 2 of 5
RJG202
Guide

Thanks. We are not power users or gamers. Other than basic Netflix and working from home via vid connection running zoom through vdi. Was concerned about 2x2 mimo but I realize nighthawk was gaming router. My cable line and main TiVo are at one end of home.

Thanks
Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

Mimo was a bit of a gimmick in those generations. 

Why You Don't Need MU-MIMO - SmallNetBuilder

Its getting better with the AX/BE generations but the AC versions didn't really have much benefit. 

I've used flagship 4x4 routers and orbi 2x2 setups and didn't really notice much difference. You might see a bit of speed benefit if you're pretty close to the flagship router but otherwise, not much at all. 

Message 4 of 5
RJG202
Guide

Thanks, it is hard sometimes to change. I looked at 6e too but I don’t have a clear line of sight to router and I seen several papers or messages saying it drops back to 5g anyway. I will wait for 7 to drop in price and more devices to make use of it. The 752 I got a great price on and honestly with the help of this forum it checks all the boxes for my needs. Hey anything is better than the 1200 baud dial up then I was living life with 14.4. Thanks again
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7