Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK752 - region change won´t stick

andrenb
Aspirant

Orbi RBK752 - region change won´t stick

I gave one of my sets of Orbi RBK752´s bought in Norway (Europe) to family living in Brazil when they where visiting.

The region selection is active in the webgui but it doesn´t seem to stick for them. They changed it to South America and they could verify with a MacBook that the wifi land code changed from NO to BR.

After they changer the 5ghz channel from 40 to 48 it reverted back to NO and now it doesn´t seem want to change the region again, even when they've changed between Europe and South America. Is there any proper way do make this setting stick?

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Fortunately, there appears to be little difference in radio restrictions between Europe and Brazil.

(Brazil is on the far right side of the table)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels 

I, also, wonder what in the world caused Netgear to include a feature that simply doesn't work on some products.  Just speculating, but perhaps they have marketing contracts that give certain vendors exclusive rights to distribute products in geographic areas.  Maybe it is a way to keep customers from purchasing a product where it is less expensive and then transporting it to a place where the prices are higher?  Nobody knows.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Probably not. EU region has there own setting so units bought in that region will be set for the EU region. 

Something to contact NG support and ask about.

Message 2 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Page 72 of the User Manual has this note:

CrimpOn_0-1699460023691.png

It would have been helpful if Netgear included more explanation of the reasons behind this restriction. (sigh)  i.e. Why  explain how to use a router feature only to say, "Oh, some customers may not be able to use this feature."

Netgear provides only 90 days of 'complimentary support' for a product purchased new from an authorized reseller.  No support for second hand products.

I have seen comments claiming that it is possible to hack the Orbi web interface to enable a Region change, but have never attempted it myself. The mechanics are something along the line of opening the web page source code and making items no longer "hidden".  FAR above my competence level.

Message 3 of 7
andrenb
Aspirant

But why make the Region selection-setting available in the webgui if it isn´t actually meant to do anything?

Under you see the settings on the European Orbi RBK752-set I own, which is the same as the set we are trying to get to work properly in Brazil:

Skjermbilde 2023-11-08 kl. 19.42.29.png 

Message 4 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Fortunately, there appears to be little difference in radio restrictions between Europe and Brazil.

(Brazil is on the far right side of the table)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels 

I, also, wonder what in the world caused Netgear to include a feature that simply doesn't work on some products.  Just speculating, but perhaps they have marketing contracts that give certain vendors exclusive rights to distribute products in geographic areas.  Maybe it is a way to keep customers from purchasing a product where it is less expensive and then transporting it to a place where the prices are higher?  Nobody knows.

Message 5 of 7
andrenb
Aspirant

Suddenly the RBK752´s I use back in Norway decided to stick to "South America"-setting I put it in to test and is broadcasting the land code BR. No idea why it suddenly started to obey the region selection in the web gui.

Uten navn.jpg

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7