Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK753 randomly drops internet connection from Comcast XB7 modem

theMPU
Aspirant

Orbi RBK753 randomly drops internet connection from Comcast XB7 modem

Hello, 

This is super friggn frustrating as I work from home and also stream. I have the latest XFi Modem/router, set in bridge mode. A Single Gb connection to the Orbi mesh router base unit. Everything works, until it doesn't. Random drops.. no log files that I can find. Comcast replaced XB7 3 times. I am thinkint the comcast gear blows.. so.. I have a nighthawk 2050v docsis 3.1 modem I am thinking about using, but the more I see things.. the more I am thinking the problem is the Orbi.. the gateway does not seem to be erroring out (although this is perhaps incorrect as bridge mode prevents you from looking at what the modem is actually doing...)

Perhaps the issue is DNS or DHCP related. Hell I don't know.. but I am ready to just say paying for high speed network and spending 4-700 bucks on frigging router equipment may be just useless. Orbi tech support sucks TBH.. charging as much as they do for their products and giving you 90 days of support is backward AF. 

Any help here would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK753 randomly drops internet connection from Comcast XB7 modem

what firmware are you on? 

Have you noticed a difference if you shut off a satellite/satelliites (checking backhaul)?

When it drops, does it stop broadcasting wifi, does it not connect to the wifi, or does it connect and say "connected, no wifi"

Message 2 of 4
theMPU
Aspirant

firmware is 4.6.5.14_2.0.54 (current)

have not tried to disconnect one of the satellites. local WIFi does not go down. The wifi map when interent is down still shows the hubs connected to the router green and solid connections. I guess I can try that, however in this case, no devices are actviely operating on either satellite.

One additional quick bit of background. I hear the 753 has a limit of 40 connections.. is this active connections or devices which are connected episodically? I hear the 853 is 33 percent more devices and am wondering is there a potential limitation here on how many devices (even lightweight IOT (2.4Ghz)  things like smart lights can overwhelm the system.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

A couple things you can try. 

1. This version of the firmware: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR750-RBS750-Firmware-Version-v...

2. try putting the XB7 in router mode (disable its wifi) and connect the orbi in access point mode. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7