Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK852 & CM1200 Bufferbloat

DirtyPatriot
Guide

Orbi RBK852 & CM1200 Bufferbloat

I am in bit of a rough spot and cant find a solution for the life of me. 

I upgraded to gigabit line with xinifty (1000down 35up). Purchased the CM1200 and ORBI AX6000. I'm having constant bufferbloat issues after a few hours of decent traffic (ps4, switch, tablet, 3 computers 4 cells, Etc). my speeds will top out at 1200down and 45up with port aggregation enabled, with it disabled im pulling 940down 35up after a fresh reboot of the network. after 1, 2, 3 hours the speeds will plummet to 25down and 25up with massive bufferbloat until I reboot everything. The speeds seem fine to the modem so I'm thinking the orbi router is just failing me. Connection to devices is great but the connection between the modem and router is awful (cables are fine and new). I'm hoping someone sees this or we get a firmware update that can fix it asap if not. I used a CM1000 and Nighthawk R8000 for about 6 years so I was confident in buying a netgear again. using current firmware which seems to be bad according to this forum but I dont think that make a different from what im reading around here either.    

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What BB results do you get with just a wired PC connected to the CM modem alone. No router in the middle? 

Testing BB while router is in the middle an no other devices or traffic connecting thru the router? Just 1 wired PC. 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 2 of 4
DirtyPatriot
Guide

950down 45up wired through just modem and 950down 45up when the router is being used. Once the bufferbloat kicks in and speeds plummet to 25up and 25down the only thing that truly fixes it is resetting the modem. resetting the just the orbi router and not the modem will fix the speed issues with devices but not fully fix float/slow loading to devices etc. I have combed through these forums and seen your posts about toggling the 2.4 from auto etc etc and tried all of it... same issues. firmware 3.2.1.2.1.2.13 on both devices. I tried running the system yesterday without port aggregation enabled and same issues except my top speed would peak at 940down/35up and everything would crash back down to 25/25. with the cm1000 and r8000 I had consistent speeds speeds. when i got the orbi i used it with the cm1000 because the cm1200 came a few days later and these issues would occur. leading me to believe the culprit is primarily the router I think... but the issues dont get fully fixed unless i reset the modem and thats just temporary. right now since im using port aggregation the orbi is in router mode behind the the cm1200 just to be clear.   

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Ah ok. So there is a known problem with the CM1200 and LAG, users over on the cable modem forum have posted about the 1200 slowing down when LAG is enabled on a 1Gb service. I fortuneatly I removed my 1200 after receiving a 1100 which worked great on my 1Gb service. I didn't test LAG as I eas enjoying having two separate networks off the 1100. I haven't been able to put the 1200 back online to test it. 

Please disable LAG on the 1200 for now. NG and ISPs are supposedly aware of this problem with 1200. I know the Orbi AX gets good speeds with my Cm1100. LAG disabled. 

@DirtyPatriot wrote:

950down 45up wired through just modem and 950down 45up when the router is being used. Once the bufferbloat kicks in and speeds plummet to 25up and 25down the only thing that truly fixes it is resetting the modem. resetting the just the orbi router and not the modem will fix the speed issues with devices but not fully fix float/slow loading to devices etc. I have combed through these forums and seen your posts about toggling the 2.4 from auto etc etc and tried all of it... same issues. firmware 3.2.1.2.1.2.13 on both devices. I tried running the system yesterday without port aggregation enabled and same issues except my top speed would peak at 940down/35up and everything would crash back down to 25/25. with the cm1000 and r8000 I had consistent speeds speeds. when i got the orbi i used it with the cm1000 because the cm1200 came a few days later and these issues would occur. leading me to believe the culprit is primarily the router I think... but the issues dont get fully fixed unless i reset the modem and thats just temporary. right now since im using port aggregation the orbi is in router mode behind the the cm1200 just to be clear.   

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7