Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK852 router capped at 100Mbps

rbgb42
Aspirant

Orbi RBK852 router capped at 100Mbps

Hi

My RBR850 router is capping at 100Mbps. Router is connected directly to ONT fibre. Cable tested fine. ISP test also confirmed speed at over 940Mbps. This is a 1Gbps line.

Router has latest firmware version v4.6.14.3

Speed test directly from Orbi maxes out around 94Mbps - see attachment.

Any suggestions or advise on how to overcome this would be appreciated.

Thank you

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

You might try replacing the ethernet cable between ont and orbi with a good quality cat 6 cable. 

You can check what link speed its connecting it. 

How do I display Internet port statistics on my Nighthawk router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

I agree with @plemans .  A speed of "just a bit under 100Mbps" is a clear signal that the ONT and router have auto negotiated a speed of 100Mbps Full Dupex. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonegotiation   and this will be verified on the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab home page by clicking on the blue box Show Statistics.  This is a feature built into modern Ethernet chipsets and happens automatically (hence the name).

Although the cable is the most obvious culprit, it also might be the case that one of those tiny gold wires in the RJ45 jack is slightly bent and not making good contact.  I have also had cables where the RJ45 plug on the cable did not "click" correctly in the Orbi jack.

Message 3 of 4
rbgb42
Aspirant

Thank you for your responses and pointing me in the right direction.

Much appreciated

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7