Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR/RBS850 APs in star topology w/ wired backhaul?

cwoodfield
Aspirant

Orbi RBR/RBS850 APs in star topology w/ wired backhaul?

I'm moving to a new home; currently I have a RBR850 connected to my router in AP mode with two RBS850 satellites over a wireless backhaul, which is working well for me. The new home, however, has multi-gigabit internet access available, and Cat5e cabling to each room. As such, I plan on placing the connecting the RBR and the two RBS devices on different floors, still in AP mode, but wired back to the same switch as the upstream router, such that each device has its own 1Gbps backhaul.

I've seen that other mesh WiFi vendors such as eero require that one device be at the "root" of the AP topology, and that a topology where each AP operates in parallel is not supported. Obviously, this would limit the speed of the entire mesh to 1Gbps, which isn't acceptable. Is this also the case for the 850 series?

Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR/RBS850 APs in star topology w/ wired backhaul?

Yes, the Orbi satellites need to be connected to LAN ports on the router, so each satellite will have a 1G wired connection to the router.

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/orbi/RBK852.pdf 

The RBR850 Internet port is a 2.5G Ethernet, which might be compatible with the ISP's multi-gigabit supply.

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR/RBS850 APs in star topology w/ wired backhaul?

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7