Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 replacement

waynedc
Follower

Orbi RBR50 replacement

I have an ORBI RBR50 and one satellite but require better coverage is the AX1800 with 2 satellites a good option

Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 replacement

If by AX1800 you mean the Netgear Orbi RBK353 package, there is "good news" and "not so good news".

• The Good News is that this product supports WiFi6, which offers better performance for newer devices.  Newer cell phones, laptops, tablets, Chromebooks, etc. now all come with support for WiFi6.***
  • The Not So Good News is that to reduce manufacturing cost (and thus market price) the 350 product is a "Dual Band" system rather than a "Tri Band" like the RBR50.  The single 5G WiFi channel is used to support both connections to user devices and connection between the router and satellites.  This is not necessarily a horrible situation.  The first "mesh" WiFi systems were Dual Band and customers seemed happy with them.  As the number of devices increases and WiFi usage increases, this may become a problem.  Certainly any attempt to "move up" toward gigabit internet service would be affected.
  • Also, the 350 product is not seeing much change in firmware compared to the other AX products (750, 70, 850, 960).  For example, those products now support adding another WiFi SSID which makes it easier to connect Internet of Things (IoT) devices which struggle to connect when the 2.4G and 5G WiFi channels have identical names.

Every network manufacturer now offers WiFi6 systems at several price points.

*** The "buzz" in WiFi has moved on toward WiFi6E and WiFi7, which are not supported by as many consumer devices (yet).

Message 2 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of the home in Sq Ft? 

I recommend going with the 750 series at least. 

@waynedc wrote:

I have an ORBI RBR50 and one satellite but require better coverage is the AX1800 with 2 satellites a good option

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

the 50 series was a pretty solid series. 

You might be able to pickup a used RBS50/RBS40 to improve the coverage if its meeting your speed requirements. 

I've seen them on fleabay/marketplace for super cheap

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7