Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR750 Constantly Drops Azure VPN Signal

WiscWildcat
Aspirant

Orbi RBR750 Constantly Drops Azure VPN Signal

I need the Azure VPN for work, but it drops constantly. Sometimes it will only be up for 30 seconds, usually it drops every 6 minutes, occasionally it will stay up for a few hours.

I missed the deadline to return this system, but we only started using the Azure VPN recently; with the CISCO and BARRACUDA VPN's, I have no issue. They'll stay on all day and all night long.

I'm guessing it's an IP conflict?   I'm a remote worker and my home IP is presently 192.168.1.34. It looks like, at the moment, the Orbi is on 192.168.1.17.   The Azure VPN runs on a 10.193.xxx.xxx band.

I am not a super technical guy when it comes to this type of thing, so any help would be appreciated.  Here are the primary stats about my Orbi RBR750 AX3000 WIFI-6 system.   I am running on a fairly new Dell laptop which has no issues otherwise.

Hardware Version RBR750

Firmware Version V4.6.11.1_2.3.6

GUI Language Version V3.0.1.51_2.1.30.3
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
WiscWildcat
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBR750 Constantly Drops Azure VPN Signal

I'm going to rule this IP change a successful fix -- I'm still connected, two days later, including over two nights.  Gotta break that string, though. Windows wants updates. ⁠

So, to anyone else with this issue -- first just try a simple Router reboot just in case that's all that's needed.

If that doesn't fix it, go into your Netgear Admin, Advanced, LAN Setup, and change the starting IP address of your DHCP server to something higher.

I set mine to 150, but I am going to experiment when no one else is home to see if a lower range will still work, and to take it off altogether to make sure this was, indeed the problem, and not something a simple router reboot would have fixed.

WiscWildcat_1-1695993992901.png

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

If other VPN client SW is working with the Orbi system and Azure isn't, something to contact them about and see if they can give you some help and pointers. May not be a Orbi issue. Check with Azure tech support.

The RBR LAN IP address is 192.168.1.1 and all other connected clients will get an IP address in the range of 192.168.1.2 to .254. VPN is just a private IP addres network that runs thru the 192.168 domain is all. 

Might review information regard new FW at somepoint after narrowing down the problem with the one VPN. 

Message 2 of 10
WiscWildcat
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply.

Internet Service is Spectrum. No problem at all for years with Cisco or Barracuda VPN's, so I have already been leaning on Azure.

I just changed my DHCP to only server 192.168.1.150 thru 254 since the Azure VPN -- which ultimately serves up a 10.193.xxx.xxx range -- seems to favor the lower levels where Orbi likes to live, and rebooted the router.

Been connected for about a half hour now with no kickout. Fingers crossed.   Since I sometimes can stay connected for a couple hours, I'm guessing it's an IP conflict and others on this forum have solved the problem this way (although none of them - dammit - ever mention what range they switch their DHCP to, which can be infuriating when you're trying to emulate their success).

I have no idea what you mean by "Might review information regard new FW at somepoint...".

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

There is new firmware for the 750 series. 

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 4 of 10
WiscWildcat
Aspirant

Thanks, but I will respectfully decline to mark it as solved until I've gone a few days without a constant disconnect.

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know. 

Message 6 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@WiscWildcat wrote:

I'm guessing it's an IP conflict?   I'm a remote worker and my home IP is presently 192.168.1.34. It looks like, at the moment, the Orbi is on 192.168.1.17.   The Azure VPN runs on a 10.193.xxx.xxx band.

What platform is using Azure VPN?(Guessing Windows because Azure appears to be a MIcrosoft product:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/vpn-gateway/vpn-gateway-about-vpngateways )

The entire point of VPN is to provide access to an IP subnet that is different from the subnet the device is part of.  There is an obvious conflict, and there are posts on the forum, about connecting through a VPN to a network that is the same as the local network.  (such as when the remote network is also 192.168.1.x)  If the need is to connect to 192.168.1.22, where is that device? (on the LAN or through the VPN?)

In this case, 192.168.1.x and 10.193.xxx.xxx are entirely different IP networks. There should be no conflict.

The Orbi system has no idea that the user device is employing a VPN.  All it sees is a stream of encrypted packets (SSL or TLS) to and from some remote IP address. I have a suspicion that the issue lies within the Windows computer.

Message 7 of 10
WiscWildcat
Aspirant

I don't know what to tell you, CrimpOn, but others have reported resolving the problem this way, and since I made that change hours ago, the Azure VPN has not dropped me even once.

Unless I just got lucky again? For...how, if it's not an IP conflict?  then I'd say this solution worked for me.

Still going to give it a few days before I mark this as the answer.

Message 8 of 10
WiscWildcat
Aspirant

I'm going to rule this IP change a successful fix -- I'm still connected, two days later, including over two nights.  Gotta break that string, though. Windows wants updates. ⁠

So, to anyone else with this issue -- first just try a simple Router reboot just in case that's all that's needed.

If that doesn't fix it, go into your Netgear Admin, Advanced, LAN Setup, and change the starting IP address of your DHCP server to something higher.

I set mine to 150, but I am going to experiment when no one else is home to see if a lower range will still work, and to take it off altogether to make sure this was, indeed the problem, and not something a simple router reboot would have fixed.

WiscWildcat_1-1695993992901.png

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7