Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR750 Disconnects once a day

gt9990a
Tutor

Orbi RBR750 Disconnects once a day

I have an RBK753 system (1xRBR750 Router and 2xRBS750 satellites).  My router is in AP mode and its plugged into the back of my AT&T Fiber gateway.  I have recently replaced the AT&T Fiber gateway so I don't think it is the Gateway, but my Router/Satellites disconnect and reconnect once every day or every other day.  I have enabled logging and it emails it to me on a daily basis. 

The Router and Satellites are on V4.6.14.3.

Any other ideas from this board would be appreciated.

thx

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR750 Disconnects once a day

Glad they got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10

All Replies
Phyber
Luminary

Just curious but why don't you have the gateway in pass through mode and just use the Orbi for all of your routing and heavy lifting?

Message 2 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Are there entries in the log file at the time of the disconnect/reconnect?

Does the router reconnect automatically? (no action on your part)

Message 3 of 10
gt9990a
Tutor

I have thought about that but for now, going to keep my testing to one variable at a time, but if you think that could help let me know.  It's always been in AP mode and it wasn't until the upgrade before the last that it started doing this.

Message 4 of 10
gt9990a
Tutor

There are entries, and I do see the disconnect however the events before and after don't indicate anything that I can troubleshoot with.  The router does come on by itself, it's like it restarts by itself but I don't see that in the logs.

Message 5 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

(I am horribly literal - sorry)

(To me) there is an enormous difference between different kinds of interruptions:

• An Orbi system will function with no internet connection at all.  Not useful to 99.9% of customers, but if someone wanted to create a mesh to network a bunch of workstations, servers, and things, the Orbi can do that.  I'm assuming that the Orbi LAN remains active and functional during the problem period and that only internet access is interrupted.
  • So "comes on" refers to the internet connection being restored, not to the router rebooting.

Would it be convenient to open the Orbi web browser interface, click on the Advanced Tab, and then the blue box titled Connection Status.  Does the system seem to lose internet at the same time as the Lease expires?

Message 6 of 10
gt9990a
Tutor

Great questions:

When the interruptions or the disconnects happen, I try to log into the RBR750 (router) and no luck, I have tried from the app and from my laptop and on both I am not able to get in.  When the Router is back up, then of course I am able to log in.  so it seems that the Orbi LAN itself is resetting or disconnecting.

My "comes on" statement is regarding the router and not the AT&T fiber gateway.  Meaning I have an internet connection but my connection to the router is no longer available because it keeps rebooting.  I have disabled my fiber Gateways Wifi ever since I got it so that it wouldn't interfere with my Orbi's.

Just for fun, I took my phone off my wifi, and used the ATT gateway app "Smart Home Manager" and was able to see my Gateway, the Orbi Router, Satellites and all of the devices.  What I can do next time my network disconnects, log in and see if I can get into my Gateway, if not then it could be my ATT Gateway, ATT Service or the GPON box that connects to my fiber gateway.

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Try option @#2 first. 

Might also ask the ISP if the ATT Gateway router can be remove and if the RBR can be directly connected to the ONT. 

Message 8 of 10
gt9990a
Tutor

Greatly appreciate the reply.  soon after your reply, I contacted AT&T to see if they see anything from their end they see before I spend the effort to go through the instructions below, and they informed me that others from my neighborhood have been complaining about intermittent disconnects 1/day or 1/week.  They said there is a ticket for them to fix things in the neighborhood and they are going to monitor and if there is nothing wrong they will inform me.  Fast forward 3 months, seems they fixed the problem and I haven't had any disconnects.

thank you again for the support.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad they got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7