Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR750 extremely slow WiFi

quezzz69
Guide

Hello everyone, I'm new to Orbi and the Netgear board but been browsing and trying all day to come up with a solution. Unfortunately without any luck.

I just moved into a new house, 3 stories and about 1300sqf. It's a newly built German house, so thick concrete and steel ceilings but the staircase from basement to the topfloor is open.

My ONT glasfibre modem is in the basement, a ethernet cable is hooked up to my ISP modem that is located in the living room.

When I'm connected to my ISP modem via WiFi I get full speed, actually more than fullspeed. I have 500mbit but usually get around 550mbit down and 150 upstream. 

My Orbi router is hooked up to the ISP modem via ethernet, the one that came with the Orbi devices. My 1st satelite is in the 2nd floor, about 30f away and my 2nd sateltite is on the 3rd floor, another 30f away from the 1st sateltite. My office is located on the 3rd floor and I got the satelite in my office. However, I only get 2.5mbit - 50mbit MAX which is super frustrating. The 2nd floor gets around 70mbit.

I tried several suggested settings today, such as setting 2.4GHz to channel 6, 5GHz to 40, disabled armor, IPv6, unchecked 20/40Mhz Coexistence, set short preamble instead of long preamble modes, CTS and RTS values from 64 to 2347 and so on. It actually made it worst because at first when I set up the system I was getting around 170mbit on the second floor and around 100-120mbit on the 3rd floor. I switched back to standard settings again but the speed I'm receiving still is horrible. 

My Firmware Version V4.6.9.11_2.3.5

And I see around 4-5 WiFi networks from neighbours, only weak signal and only from the ground floor.

I used to have smaller appartments where my ISP modem was enough and I used to have a Tenda Nova MW3 Mesh system from a different place I lived in but that system was not doing anything here. I hope to resolve this as I would hate to return the Orbi and look for a new solution..I've been trying to figure out what to do since I moved in on 09/01. I also noticed that the satelite on floor 2 is disconnecting quite often but has been stable for the past hour.

I appreciate any help guys, thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
ekhalil
Master

Re: Orbi RBR750 extremely slow WiFi

@quezzz69 wrote:
Would I need to get the same Orbi satellites that act as repeaters then? Or is there a specific one I could use simply as repeater?

Depends on the backhaul capability that you want. You can choose a small satellite (e,g, RBS350) but the backhaul of the satellites that will connect to it will all be limited to AX1800 (instead of AX4200 that you have on the 750 series). If you don't have very many people streaming or downloading at the same time then it really doesn't matter, any satellite will do.

I think you can also go for the Nighthawk EAX80 or EAX20 mesh extenders, but never tried those. 

@quezzz69 wrote:
Id love to connect them all via cable, the concrete and steal however makes it really difficult. ....

You might also consider ethernet over powerline!

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 12

All Replies
quezzz69
Guide

I forgot to mention, I get full speed (500mbit) in my living room where the Orbi modem is hooked up to my ISP modem.

I use the Speedtest app and website for all my speedtests

Message 2 of 12
ekhalil
Master

If you have wifi on the ISP modem then it's not just a modem but also a router.

To confirm that this is the issue. Please change Orbi to AP mode, switch off the ISP wifi and test.

Another solution is to check in the manual of the ISP modem/router and see if you can set it to bridge mode or use DMZ forwarding.

Message 3 of 12
quezzz69
Guide

Thank you for response. I have just tried solution 1 but it didn't do too much, I get 130 mbit on the 2nd floor and 70mbit on the 3rd. 

Solution 2 doesn't work on my ISP modem/router, it does not support bridge mode nor DMZ forwarding. I have a fritz!box 7590. Is there anything else I can try?

Message 4 of 12
ekhalil
Master

Ok, then it’s likely to be radio issue. Two questions please:
1. In the web GUI, when you list “attached devices”, can you see if the satellites are connected to the router (or to the other satellite) using 5 or 2.4 GHz?
2. In the Orbi app, also in attached devices, when you select the device that you are measuring speed on, what capabilities is shown for that device (in Mbps)?
Message 5 of 12
quezzz69
Guide

I checked on the web GUI, both satellites are connected to the router and under Connection Type both are 2.4GHz. Is that maybe causing the issues?

Attached is the speedtest thru the Orbi app.
Message 6 of 12
quezzz69
Guide

My image is not being displayed, here is a ImgBB link - https://ibb.co/fGJxYSC
Message 7 of 12
ekhalil
Master

Yes, that’s the reason for sure; you have bad radio connection to the satellites. You need to improve this. Is it possible to get the satellites closer to the router and to each other? Any way to connect them by cables? Can you have other satellites in between as repeaters?
Message 8 of 12
quezzz69
Guide

Ok i’ll try tomorrow. I could set them up to be right above each other on each floor so it would only be 3-3.5 meters of distance to each other so around 10f.

Would I need to get the same Orbi satellites that act as repeaters then? Or is there a specific one I could use simply as repeater?

Id love to connect them all via cable, the concrete and steal however makes it really difficult. My idea was to nicely route them thru the staircase but still need the approval of the wifey :’)
Message 9 of 12
ekhalil
Master

@quezzz69 wrote:

Depends on the backhaul capability that you want. You can choose a small satellite (e,g, RBS350) but the backhaul of the satellites that will connect to it will all be limited to AX1800 (instead of AX4200 that you have on the 750 series). If you don't have very many people streaming or downloading at the same time then it really doesn't matter, any satellite will do.

I think you can also go for the Nighthawk EAX80 or EAX20 mesh extenders, but never tried those. 

@quezzz69 wrote:
Id love to connect them all via cable, the concrete and steal however makes it really difficult. ....

You might also consider ethernet over powerline!

Message 10 of 12
quezzz69
Guide

I decided to put an ethernet cable from the router all the way to satellite 2 on floor 3. floor 2 will stay wireless as 150-170mbit is enough for that floor and maybe it’s increasing in speed since satellite 2 will be connected by ethernet. I honestly only need full speed at the top floor as my office is there. thanks for your help!! I’ll keep you posted on the progress.
Message 11 of 12
quezzz69
Guide

Sooo, I finally finished putting that cable up to the 3rd floor and I now get full speed in my office. Thanks for ur help again!! 🙂
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7