Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR850 Mesh network slow when switching from on Satellite to another.

William_Mo
Aspirant

Orbi RBR850 Mesh network slow when switching from on Satellite to another.

Hi there, 

My home network  is  with  RBR850 Router connected to the FIbre Modem from the telco  and 3 RBS850 satellites.  

I need help with the folowing problems:

1.  Periodically,  about 2 - 3 months, while connected to the RBS850 , no internet connection, I would need to power off and on the RBS850   to regain connection to the Router. 

2. When I move from one area to another Satellite , it took more than 5-10 minutes to connected to the internet and was very slow.  

3.  I am just curious , is it normal for the wifi signal bar to drop when move from one satellite to another on a mesh network? I always have an impression that it was the benefit of mesh network is that the connection is continuous. May be I didn't get this right.

Bill

Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR850 Mesh network slow when switching from on Satellite to another.

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A STP is recommended. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR📡 and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wired or wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

Does this happen with the RBS turned OFF? 
Does this happen with both wireless and wired devices? 
What channel configurations are currently set on the router?  

Be sure to disable any MAC Address randomizers on phones and pads while at home:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/NETGEAR-Mobile-Applications-and-Apple-Devices-FAQ/td-p/222...

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Smart Parental Controls or Circle, Traffic Meter.

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network

Message 2 of 3
William_Mo
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBR850 Mesh network slow when switching from on Satellite to another.

Thank you for the advice and additional information added for our help.  

What Firmware version is currently loaded? – v4.6.14.3
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? ZTE – ZXA10
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A STP is recommended. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? – 2,271 ft
What is the distance between the router and  satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wired or wirelessly connected. (Not at my house, I have no connection to the RBR from an opposite and diagonal rooms. Thus, I needed to setup RBS at these two rooms.)
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌️

Does this happen with the RBS turned OFF? – This happened with RBS turned on.  
Does this happen with both wireless and wired devices? – Only with wireless devices.
What channel configurations are currently set on the router?  - Channel 48 and 8

Be sure to disable any MAC Address randomizers on phones and pads while at home:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/NETGEAR-Mobile-Applications-and-Apple-Devices-FAQ/td-p/222...

Try disabling the following and see: (Thanks but not completely understand the actions needed. Would appreciate it if you could elaborate.)
Armor, Smart Parental Controls or Circle, Traffic Meter.

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update? Didn’t remember when the latest update done.
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence: - Done but the problem still persist. 
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7