Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR850 - devices remain connected to router/satellite but has "no internet connectivity"

TadC3
Aspirant

Orbi RBR850 - devices remain connected to router/satellite but has "no internet connectivity"

Device:
Orbi RBR850 and satellite-1

Issue:

- devices will be connected to the router/satellite with internet

- randomly the device will lose internet but remain connected to the router/satellite ("No internet connection")

- other devices in the same room remain connected to the internet and the Network Map shows that there is still internet service to the router and satellite 

- in speaking with netgear support they say that this might be either a static to dynamic IP address issue? (I do not understand how to troubleshoot this) OR a firewall issue with an unauthorized access

Attempted resolutions:

• I've power reset the router multiple times
  • “reboot” through Orbi app
  • Updated the firmware  

Still the issue persists so I'm looking for assistance in how to troubleshoot.  Please let me know what additional info I can provide.  Thank you for any suggestions you may offer.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR850 - devices remain connected to router/satellite but has "no internet connectivit

The was actually Netgear support?  (not a number from a web site that came up from a search?)

It would help to know what sort of device this is.

Static IP address generally means that the user defined the IP address on the device itself.  It seems hardly likely that you have done this and do not remember. (p.s. the term "assigned IP" or "reserved IP" generally means that the user has told the router to assign a specific IP address to a device with a specifip MAC address.  It also seems unlikely that you would have gone to the trouble to do this and not remember.)

Fireall issue with unauthorized access is an odd way to suggest that the device may have been "blocked".  It will still connect to the WiFi system, and be assigned an IP address, but will not have a path to the internet.  It actually is possible to block a device without meaning to. (I have done it myself and a LOT of swearing ensued once I figured out what had happened.)

Since you are familiar with the web intrface, what does it say about Access Control at the top of the Attached Devices screen?

(on or off?)

Message 2 of 11
TadC3
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBR850 - devices remain connected to router/satellite but has "no internet connectivit

Thank you for the quick response.

It happens randomly across all devices:

iphone, appletv, sonos, macbook, dell laptop, smart switches, ring alarm system base station etc.

You are correct. I have never assigned any IP addresses manually. When a device drops the internet it still shows up as connected to the router or satellite.  This is on the computer itself showing connection to the wifi network but no internet, and on the orbi app in devices and the device showing connected.  It’s as though it just doesn’t get the internet over that connection.  At the same time a device drops the internet there are other devices that remain connected to internet through that router so its device specific and not the ISP or router connection.

Message 3 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Are there any devices connected to the router or satellite with an ethernet cable?

Does this happen to them as well?

This is on the primary WiFi SSID, not the guest SSID?

Message 4 of 11
TadC3
Aspirant

No, there are no devices connected to either the router or satellite via Ethernet. Everything is WiFi connection.

Yes, all devices are connected to the primary WiFi ssid. Nothing is connected to the guest Wi-Fi ssid.
Message 5 of 11
plemans
Guru

What actual modem/gateway is the orbi connected to? 

Message 6 of 11
TadC3
Aspirant

image2.jpegimage1.jpegimage0.jpeg

When my Orbi was first set up it was to a Neatgear Nighthawk modem GHZ_EX6400v2

We switched ISP to Verizon Fios and it is now connected to a verizon modem, see photos attached.

The issue of a device randomly dropping the wifi was persistant with both modem connections.

Thanks again for everyones help and support.

Message 7 of 11
TadC3
Aspirant

image2.jpegimage1.jpegimage0.jpeg

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? 
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

@TadC3 wrote:

Device:
Orbi RBR850 and satellite-1

Issue:

- devices will be connected to the router/satellite with internet

- randomly the device will lose internet but remain connected to the router/satellite ("No internet connection")

- other devices in the same room remain connected to the internet and the Network Map shows that there is still internet service to the router and satellite 

- in speaking with netgear support they say that this might be either a static to dynamic IP address issue? (I do not understand how to troubleshoot this) OR a firewall issue with an unauthorized access

Attempted resolutions:

• I've power reset the router multiple times
  • “reboot” through Orbi app
  • Updated the firmware  

Still the issue persists so I'm looking for assistance in how to troubleshoot.  Please let me know what additional info I can provide.  Thank you for any suggestions you may offer.

Message 9 of 11
TadC3
Aspirant

V4.6.3.16 which I believe is the latest

3,000sf

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

2 stories and 40+ feet. The satellite is connected to the router via cat5

Not sure how to determine this

Yes, many. I can probably pick up on a dozen other wifi networks at any time.

Again, this isn’t a drop of the wifi service or signal as other devices in the same room stay online when one device randomly drops out… very strange

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

@TadC3 wrote:

V4.6.3.16 which I believe is the latest

3,000sf

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

2 stories and 40+ feet. The satellite is connected to the router via cat5< CAT6 is recommended. CAT5 is older and doesn't support 1000Mb speeds officially. Possible cable could be degrading good operation with the RBS. 

Not sure how to determine this

Log into the RBRs web page and review the channel configuration under Basic Tab/Wireless Settings.

Yes, many. I can probably pick up on a dozen other wifi networks at any time.

Try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Again, this isn’t a drop of the wifi service or signal as other devices in the same room stay online when one device randomly drops out… very strange

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7