Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBS 850 Satellite with RBR 960

Beantowm111
Apprentice

Orbi RBS 850 Satellite with RBR 960

The Ethernet ports on my RBR 850 (Router) stopped working over the weekend, and despite many attempts (update firmware, factory reset), nothing has fixed them (wifi works for a while but eventually also fails).  I tried a different router which resolved the problem making me conclude my RBR 850 hardware has failed and a new router needed.

I decided to try the RBR 960 with one Satellite.  My question is if it is now confirmed that you can use RBS 850 Satellite with the 960 (I see that in another post)?

While I probably do not need the 2 extra satellites given the 960's greater range, I do require ethernet port access in the current locations of these 850 satellites. So can I use them with 960 for this purpose?

Or am I better off getting something like the EAX20 (as it allows me to turn off the radio and provides Ethernet ports)?  Trying to avoid additional spend if possible.

Thanks for the guidance.

Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBS 850 Satellite with RBR 960

This Netgear web site says that the 850 satellite is not compatible with the new 960 system:

https://kb.netgear.com/000065169/Which-Orbi-routers-and-satellites-are-compatible?article=000065169 

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

NG hasn't officially said either way they are or not supporting 7 or 8 series RBS connecting with the 9 series. 

I can say that I tested one of my 8 series connected wirelessly to my 9 series and it works fine. I think someone tested a 7 series too. So I would presume from a simple use case, go for it if you need. Should something happen though that would cause a support phone call, be prepared for "That's not supported" kind of response during troubleshooting with NG. 

Message 3 of 5
Beantowm111
Apprentice

Thanks!

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors