Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBS750 Firmware Update When Satellite Won't Sync

Bob_10
Guide

Orbi RBS750 Firmware Update When Satellite Won't Synch

I am running the Orbi RBR750 with one RBS750 satellite. Two days ago the satellite dropped its connection and will no longer synch with my router. It worked fine for about 4 months. When this happened to my first satellite I replaced it. From what I've read in these Netgear blogs, it appears my firmware is out of date and may be the reason my satellite will no longer synch. The firmware version on my router is v4.6.5.14.

I have tried the satellite synch troubleshooting suggestions found here in the Netgear Community, but nothing has worked. Is the firmware the problem? Is it possible to update the firmware on my RBS750 when it won't synch, such as using an ethernet cable? 

Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
Bob_10
Guide

I purchased the RBR750 and one RBS750 satellite earlier this year; it was fairly easy to set up. Everything worked fine, but 4 months later the satellite dropped its connection with the router and would not pair back up with the router. I replaced the satellite and it worked for about 4 months and then that satellite dropped its connection 2 days ago.

I spent a total of 10 hours over 2 days trying the numerous suggestions here in the Netgear Community and got some great advice. Glad I didn't give up. This morning the satellite paired back up with my router and everything is working fine. Here's what I learned that may be helpful to the average user, which is an aggregate of the advice I received here in the Community:

- The Orbi App is a useful guide to get you through the pairing process to a point. I also had the browser version of of my Orbi web browser interface open while pairing to monitor the progress, which was very helpful. The App and the browser interface were not always reflecting the same status of the pairing process or the status of my network. The browser interface was more accurate; I had to keep closing the App and re-opening it before its status aligned with what I saw on the web browser interface. 

- To start the pairing process I unplugged the satellite for about 5 minutes. Then I started the pairing process on the App by selecting "Add Satellite" and following the steps on the App. NOTE: About 30 seconds before I got the solid blue LED light on the satellite, the web browser interface showed the status of the satellite was "Good" (in green letters).

- Once the solid blue LED came on the App told me "Satellite Not Found." As long as the web browser interface is showing your satellite is "Good" in green letters, ignore what the App is telling you and trust the solid blue LED on the satellite -- let it do it's thing, which could take 2+ minutes.

- When the solid blue LED went out, the satellite was paired according to the web browser interface. However, the App said it wasn't paired. I closed the App and re-opened it - then it showed the satellite was paired with the router.

Here's an anomaly I can't explain, but I followed the advice of one contributer here in the Community. He recommended bringing the satellite into the same room with the router to do the pairing. When it wasn't pairing, he suggested leaving the satellite plugged in overnight in the same room with the router. I did this, and the satellite paired successfully this morning.

-- But get this: yesterday the firmware on my router was version 4.6.5.14, and the web browser interface indicated no firmware update was available. This morning, after sitting overnight the firmware version on the router and the satellite had updated to 4.6.9.11, which is the current version. So thanks to those contributers who advised the satellite and the router won't synch unless the firmware is the same on router and satellite.  I may be wrong, but I think this was part of the problem.

In sum:

1. When using the App to pair, ignore the App when it tells you the satellite cannot be found. Trust the solid blue LED.

2. Have the Orbi web browser interface open when pairing to monitor your progress.

3. If all else fails in the pairing process plug in the satellite and leave it in the same room with the router all day or all night. Then come back and try pairing again.

4. Check the status of your firmware on the Orbi web browser interface on a regular basis to make sure everything is up to date on your router and satellite(s).

So why do the satellites drop their connections and become so hard to pair back up with the router? I don't know....but after spending $800 on this system I expect more from Negear. Many many users are having the same problem. My neighbor has a Eero system that costs half as much, and he has had no problems at all for over a year. Just sayin'....

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 13

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi RBS750 Firmware Update When Satellite Won't Synch

What have you tried to sync it? 

have you tried hardwiring it into the router to sync it? And then try the update? 

Message 2 of 13
Bob_10
Guide

Re: Orbi RBS750 Firmware Update When Satellite Won't Synch

The FW on my router is up to date; I believe the FW on my satellite is out of date and that's why it won't synch. It is possible to somehow update the FW on the satellite even though it's not synching with my router?

Message 3 of 13
Bob_10
Guide

Orbi RBS750 Firmware Update When Satellite Won't Sync

In January 2022 I purchased the Orbi RBR750 router and RBS750 satellite. After 4 months the satellite disconnected from the router and would not re-sync. I replaced the satellite in June, and two days ago it disconnected and will not re-sync with my router. The firmware on my router is v4.6.5.14; I don't know if the firmware on my satellite was up to date before it disconnected. Previous attempts to re-sync the satellite have failed. I removed it from my network and am starting over like I'm adding the satellite for the first time.

I'm using the app when I try to add/re-sync the satellite. Here's what happens:

1. Select "add satellite" on app

2. Plug in satellite and wait 2 min for it to fully power up. White LED light is flashing.

3. When prompted by the app, push the Sync button on the satellite - white LED is still flashing; then push sync button on the router.

4. White LED on satellite and router flash for about 2 minutes.

5. After about 2 minutes the LED on the router goes out, and the satellite LED turns solid blue and stays blue for about 90 seconds, then it goes out.

6. App says "satellite note found." Network map shows only my router is connected.

I have also re-booted the router and tried to re-sync the satellite (also failed).

Alternate scenario:

2. Plug in satellite and wait 2 min for it to fully power up. White LED light on the satellite is flashing.

3. After about 2 minutes the LED turns solid blue. After about 60 seconds the white LED on the router starts flashing.

4. 30 seconds later the solid blue LED on the satellite goes out; white LED on on the router flashes for about 45-60 seconds and then goes out.

5. App says "satellite note found." Network map shows only my router is connected.

2nd Alternate Scenario:

2. Plug in satellite and use a paper clip to reset the satellite.

3. Wait 2 min for it to fully power up. White LED light is flashing.

4. When prompted by the app, push the Sync button on the satellite - white LED is still flashing; then push sync button on the router.

5. White LED on satellite and router flash for about 2 minutes.

6. After about 2 minutes the LED on the router goes out, and the satellite LED turns solid blue and stays blue for about 90 seconds, then it goes out.

7. App says "satellite note found." Network map shows only my router is connected.

I re-booted the router and tried to re-sync the satellite (also failed). 

Message 4 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

RBS FW needs to be same as whats on the RBR. 

Does the RBS show as a connected device if you connect the RBS to the back of the RBR using a ethernet lan cable .

Message 5 of 13
Bob_10
Guide

Your Q: Does the RBS show as a connected device if you connect the RBS to the back of the RBR using a ethernet lan cable?

A: No.

Message 6 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@Bob_10 wrote:

satellite LED turns solid blue and stays blue for about 90 seconds, then it goes out.

According to Netgear, this pattern indicates the satellite is connected to the router with a "Good" connection:

https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-mean 

What does the Orbi web browser interface indicate on the Attached Devices display?

Is there a device that can be attached to the satellite with an Ethernet cable?  (laptop, perhaps?)  Would be useful to know if devices connected to the satellite have internet access.

Message 7 of 13
Bob_10
Guide

Thanks for you reply.

RE: According to Netgear, this pattern indicates the satellite is connected to the router with a "Good" connection:  True; this is why this situation is so aggravating, because the satellite is not connnecting...

RE: Is there a device that can be attached to the satellite with an Ethernet cable?  (laptop, perhaps?)  Would be useful to know if devices connected to the satellite have internet access. Great suggestion! So I tried this, and the device did not have internet access when connected to the satellite with the ethernet cable.

Message 8 of 13
Bob_10
Guide

RE: What does the Orbi web browser interface indicate on the Attached Devices display? The Attached Devices display lists the household devices and smart phones that are attached to the router; it does not show that a satellite is connected.

Message 9 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

Well, darn. Can you humor me with one more test?

When the device is connected to the satellite with Ethernet, does it appear to get an IP address?  If it does, that indicates that the satellite is connected to the router, because only the router responds to DHCP requests.

There have been numerous reports of the Orbi 'app' not displaying the network diagram correctly. which appear to be a problem with the app software.

Message 10 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@Bob_10 wrote:

The FW on my router is up to date; I believe the FW on my satellite is out of date and that's why it won't synch. Is it possible to somehow update the FW on the satellite even though it's not synching with my router?

I am not convinced that having slightly different firmware on the satellite will cause it not to sync with the router.  To answer the specific question, yes there is a way to install firmware directly on the satellite.  The process is technical and complicated.

I have done this  using TFTP  and found that the process was time sensitive.  When the satellite is powered on, there is a brief period before it is ready to accept a TFTP connection.  Then there is period while it is ready to accept one.  After that, it is too late.  One time it took me six attempts to get TFTP to work.  After five failures, I was ready to consign the unit to the trash and then thought, "heck. how about at least one more try."

Message 11 of 13
Bob_10
Guide

I purchased the RBR750 and one RBS750 satellite earlier this year; it was fairly easy to set up. Everything worked fine, but 4 months later the satellite dropped its connection with the router and would not pair back up with the router. I replaced the satellite and it worked for about 4 months and then that satellite dropped its connection 2 days ago.

I spent a total of 10 hours over 2 days trying the numerous suggestions here in the Netgear Community and got some great advice. Glad I didn't give up. This morning the satellite paired back up with my router and everything is working fine. Here's what I learned that may be helpful to the average user, which is an aggregate of the advice I received here in the Community:

- The Orbi App is a useful guide to get you through the pairing process to a point. I also had the browser version of of my Orbi web browser interface open while pairing to monitor the progress, which was very helpful. The App and the browser interface were not always reflecting the same status of the pairing process or the status of my network. The browser interface was more accurate; I had to keep closing the App and re-opening it before its status aligned with what I saw on the web browser interface. 

- To start the pairing process I unplugged the satellite for about 5 minutes. Then I started the pairing process on the App by selecting "Add Satellite" and following the steps on the App. NOTE: About 30 seconds before I got the solid blue LED light on the satellite, the web browser interface showed the status of the satellite was "Good" (in green letters).

- Once the solid blue LED came on the App told me "Satellite Not Found." As long as the web browser interface is showing your satellite is "Good" in green letters, ignore what the App is telling you and trust the solid blue LED on the satellite -- let it do it's thing, which could take 2+ minutes.

- When the solid blue LED went out, the satellite was paired according to the web browser interface. However, the App said it wasn't paired. I closed the App and re-opened it - then it showed the satellite was paired with the router.

Here's an anomaly I can't explain, but I followed the advice of one contributer here in the Community. He recommended bringing the satellite into the same room with the router to do the pairing. When it wasn't pairing, he suggested leaving the satellite plugged in overnight in the same room with the router. I did this, and the satellite paired successfully this morning.

-- But get this: yesterday the firmware on my router was version 4.6.5.14, and the web browser interface indicated no firmware update was available. This morning, after sitting overnight the firmware version on the router and the satellite had updated to 4.6.9.11, which is the current version. So thanks to those contributers who advised the satellite and the router won't synch unless the firmware is the same on router and satellite.  I may be wrong, but I think this was part of the problem.

In sum:

1. When using the App to pair, ignore the App when it tells you the satellite cannot be found. Trust the solid blue LED.

2. Have the Orbi web browser interface open when pairing to monitor your progress.

3. If all else fails in the pairing process plug in the satellite and leave it in the same room with the router all day or all night. Then come back and try pairing again.

4. Check the status of your firmware on the Orbi web browser interface on a regular basis to make sure everything is up to date on your router and satellite(s).

So why do the satellites drop their connections and become so hard to pair back up with the router? I don't know....but after spending $800 on this system I expect more from Negear. Many many users are having the same problem. My neighbor has a Eero system that costs half as much, and he has had no problems at all for over a year. Just sayin'....

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.

https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Enjoy. 📡

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7