Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBS760 satellites not sharing network password from RBR750 / RBS750

mrb392
Aspirant

Orbi RBS760 satellites not sharing network password from RBR750 / RBS750

I had an Orbi #RBR750 Router and 1 #RBS750 satellite set up with no problems with the same SSID and password combo being shared across the 2 units in the network

I have since added a further 2 x #RBS760 satellites to my set-up.

They have connected to the network with no problem and are showing in the network map, however, they are not sharing the SSID and Password the original router and satellite use.

You have to log on to each #RBS750 satellite individually with the local name and password detailed on each unit, and you get great wifi once logged in locally.

I have made sure I have the latest software updates and have tried disconnecting, factory resetting, and reconnecting as suggested in other posts but I have had no luck.

Are there any advanced settings I need to administer to make the 760 Satellites share SSID and PW with the 750 Router and satellite?

Thank you

Message 1 of 14
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi RBS760 satellites not sharing network password from RBR750 / RBS750

have you tried hardwiring them into the router to sync them? 

Try factory resetting them and hardwiring them in for setup. 

Message 2 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW versions are loaded on the 750 series and 750 series units? 

@mrb392 wrote:

I had an Orbi #RBR750 Router and 1 #RBS750 satellite set up with no problems with the same SSID and password combo being shared across the 2 units in the network

I have since added a further 2 x #RBS760 satellites to my set-up.

They have connected to the network with no problem and are showing in the network map, however, they are not sharing the SSID and Password the original router and satellite use.

You have to log on to each #RBS750 satellite individually with the local name and password detailed on each unit, and you get great wifi once logged in locally.

I have made sure I have the latest software updates and have tried disconnecting, factory resetting, and reconnecting as suggested in other posts but I have had no luck.

Are there any advanced settings I need to administer to make the 760 Satellites share SSID and PW with the 750 Router and satellite?

Thank you

Message 3 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

@mrb392 wrote:

Interesting that the RBS760 satellites appear to sync with the RBR750 router, but do not "work" correctly.

Netgear's published compatibility chart shows the 760 satellites as "not compatible" with the 750 router:

https://kb.netgear.com/000065169/Which-Orbi-routers-and-satellites-are-compatible 

Seems a bit cruel to "almost work".

Message 4 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible that the RBS760 FW v6 is not compatible with v7 FW for the 750 series yet. Something NG will have to turn up for the 760 series. 

Message 5 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

I'll believe it when that big red X on the compatibility chart is replaced with a check mark.

Message 6 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, probably will need to return the RBS760s and find some more compatible RBS. I keep a eye out on amazon and goodwill. 

Message 7 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

People have reported satellites having different behavior when wired to the router rather than using the WiFi backhaul.

Would it be a big chore to temporarily locate one of the 760 satellites in the same room as the router, connect them with an Ethernet cable, and observe what the satellite WiFi does?

(I know using wired backhaul is simply not an option for many users [including myself].  The question is more intellectual curiosity than practicality.)

Message 8 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

That and the differences between v6 and v7 FW would be the other factor. Wifi changed in v7. So would make other FW versions not compatible. 

Message 9 of 14
mrb392
Aspirant

Hi, Firmware Versions for each model below.

RBR750  = V4.6.14.3

RBS750 = V4.6.14.3

RBS760 = V6.3.4.12

Thank you.

Message 10 of 14
mrb392
Aspirant

Yes, I appear to have accidentally ordered the 760 rather than the 750 as I had checked the compatibility when researching and I must have clicked the wrong model on Amazon options when actually ordering.

It is interesting that the 760's do work and give great in wifi from the network but they just have their own unique SSID's and PW's. This is kind of fine in the short term but I do want to set up wireless speakers across the house on one network which this wont allow me to do.

Do you think this will be resolved in a firmware update? 

Thank youy

Message 11 of 14
mrb392
Aspirant

Yes, I think this is the case. 

Frustratingly I think I clicked the wrong model when ordering on Amazon as I had checked the compatibility when researching which one I needed.

Message 12 of 14
mrb392
Aspirant

I have one hardwired already, but I set it up wirelessly and then moved it and hardwired it in.

It behaves the same. It gives out great WiFi but you have to log in to that satellite specifically.

I will try syncing via Ethernet and see if that helps.

Thanks

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

I'd return the 760 RBS. Find something more compatible.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7