Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi WiFi 6 Router RBR750 — - I have gig service and only get 180Mbps dowload from Orbi speed test

jgiampaolo70
Tutor

Orbi WiFi 6 Router RBR750 — - I have gig service and only get 180Mbps dowload from Orbi speed test

Good afternoon.  I have the Orbi RBR750 with 4 satellites and have a question about my wired speed.

I have fiber going to the outside of my house and from there a Cat6 cable that connects to my Orbi Router.  When I run a speed test from my hardwired PC or the router itself I am only getting around 187Mbps down and up is 940Mbps.  

I am sure I am just not knowledgeable enough but shouldn't I be getting much higher download speeds?  My ISP says having gig service usually runs around 875 to 975Mbps down.

Thank you in advance.

Message 1 of 6
bullm00n
Luminary

Re: Orbi WiFi 6 Router RBR750 — - I have gig service and only get 180Mbps dowload from Orbi speed t

@jgiampaolo70 wrote:

Good afternoon.  I have the Orbi RBR750 with 4 satellites and have a question about my wired speed.

I have fiber going to the outside of my house and from there a Cat6 cable that connects to my Orbi Router.  When I run a speed test from my hardwired PC or the router itself I am only getting around 187Mbps down and up is 940Mbps.  

I am sure I am just not knowledgeable enough but shouldn't I be getting much higher download speeds?  My ISP says having gig service usually runs around 875 to 975Mbps down.

Thank you in advance.

Yes, you should be getting close to 1G download especially if you run speedtest from the Orbi admin page or the Orbi app.

It could be a bad Cat6 cable. If you can try another cable, that may be the easiest thing; doesn't have to be Cat6, Cat5e will work fine too.

Can you connect a PC directly to the network and bypass the Orbi?  If you do that and run speedtest on the PC, how does that look?

Message 2 of 6
jgiampaolo70
Tutor

Re: Orbi WiFi 6 Router RBR750 — - I have gig service and only get 180Mbps dowload from Orbi speed t

"Can you connect a PC directly to the network and bypass the Orbi?  If you do that and run speedtest on the PC, how does that look?"

Internet from the outside world connects to my Orbi router and I have a cable going from the Orbi to a 48 port switch.  My PC is hardwired into the network and when I run a speed test via the Orbi admin page I get lower than 200Mbps.  All cabling is either Cat5e or Cat6.

Speed test results:

Ookla - 591

Fast.com - 840

Google Speedtest - 218

Message 3 of 6
bullm00n
Luminary

@jgiampaolo70 wrote:

"Can you connect a PC directly to the network and bypass the Orbi?  If you do that and run speedtest on the PC, how does that look?"

Internet from the outside world connects to my Orbi router and I have a cable going from the Orbi to a 48 port switch.  My PC is hardwired into the network and when I run a speed test via the Orbi admin page I get lower than 200Mbps.  All cabling is either Cat5e or Cat6.

Speed test results:

Ookla - 591

Fast.com - 840

Google Speedtest - 218

In that is that case, you should be able to temporarily connect the PC directly to your internet if you disconnect it from the switch and connect the PC in place of the Orbi.  Then you can run a speedtest to verify that your network coming to the Orbi is 1Gb.

But I don't get that last bit with three different Speedtest results.  How / where did you run those?

Message 4 of 6
jgiampaolo70
Tutor

Speed tests were run from my PC.  Damn speed is all over the place.

Message 5 of 6
jgiampaolo70
Tutor

With my PC directly connected to the internet line it is hitting 300, so I am guessing the ISP screwed up when provisioning my gig speed.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7