Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi WiFi Crashing

Gdogghbk
Aspirant

Orbi WiFi Crashing

Hi All,

I recently purchased the Orbi AX6000 RBK852 to provide Mesh WiFi in my home...

Upon initial setup, everything went great! I have an Arris SB6190 connected to the Orbi Router in my living room, with the Satellite on the 2nd Floor. Initially I was getting high WiFi speeds no problem. There was a initial WiFi crash the first night (We attributed it to network issues from the Super Bowl), but it rebounded and worked great all week...

Then came this past week... the WiFi keeps crashing to a dead halt. We’re talking 0.05 on Speedtest and WiFi devices rendered useless. The Hardwired devices like our Apple TV? Not even a blip... Strange thing right?

So I Factory Reset everything, and started to reestablish the network. However, in order to even get the Orbi’s to establish the network I had to turn our TV/DirecTV off. When I did? Network back up! So I tested everything again, TV on and TV off, the WiFi still crashed hard with the TV on...

Now to explain our setup, we have an LG CX, and Direct TV with a Genie 2 and the wireless Mini-Clients. Everything from the DirectTV to Gaming Systems to our Soundbar is Hardwired (why I wanted this Orbi with its multiple LAN ports). The only things using the WiFi are upstairs smart TV’s our phones, tablets, and laptops.

I’ve reached out to support and they helped me change frequencies, among other various things, but I’ve exhausted those over the week & still the same result! TV on, down goes the WiFi, crashing from 400mbps to 0... TV off? WiFi pops back up! I’ve got a good 3-5 ft separating the TV from the Orbi, and probably 5-7 feet away from the Direct TV Genie 2 Hub.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?
Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi WiFi Crashing

That FW version are you usuing? 

v12 is the latest:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-RBR850-RBS850-Series-Firmware-Version-v3-2-17-12-Releas...

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 2 of 9
Gdogghbk
Aspirant

v12 is the latest:
**It’s on the Latest Version, did the Update Upon Setup**

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
**Home is multi-level, 1800 sq ft**

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
**Router is on 1st Floor, Satellite is on the 2nd Floor, for sure more than 30ft apart walking distance, may be closer through floors?**

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
**I went through every channel and every combo over the last week, even altering CTS/RTS as Support suggested**

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
**Probably everyone in the neighborhood, lots of WiFi’s show up in NetSpot, but none appeared overpowering?**

Hopefully I answered those well enough...
Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

So if you turn OFF the RBS, does the wifi on the RBR still not work well?

Message 4 of 9
Chuck_M
Mentor

@Gdogghbk wrote:

v12 is the latest:
**It’s on the Latest Version, did the Update Upon Setup**

I think if you go to your web interface (192.168.1.1) and read the number in the top right corner, you will most likely find it is NOT the most current version because a manual update is necessary to get to the latest version.

It should be V3.2.17.12_1.4.14

Can you check that one more time? 

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

v12 is is reference to V3.2.17.12_1.4.14

Message 6 of 9
Gdogghbk
Aspirant

I unplugged the RBS, unfortunately the WiFi still crashes...
Message 7 of 9
Gdogghbk
Aspirant

You were right, I was only on 16, I manually got to 17... it seemed more stable at first, but I still had a hard crash... I’m at a loss...
Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend contacting NG support. Sounds like you may have a fautly RBR. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7