Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi loses connection every 3-4 weeks -- need to do factory reset

skylar28
Follower

Orbi loses connection every 3-4 weeks -- need to do factory reset

I am having a very perplexing problem. I have the Orbi RBR850. Every 3-4 weeks, it goes magenta and loses connection to the internet/modem. I reset the modem and Orbi, still no connection. For good measure, I hook up my laptop directly to the modem and after I reset the modem, my laptop shows a strong connection.

The only way I can seem to get the Orbi to connect is to do a factory reset. I have the most recent version of the firmware.

I contacted netgear and they had me change some wifi settings on the Orbi but these seems odd since it should just work when connected, right? And what would stabilizing the wifi settings help with a hardwired connect?

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas on what could be the problem, I'm all ears. Or, better yet, how can I get Netgear just to replace the units since this has happened 3 times since I've bought the units March 2023.

Message 1 of 2
bullm00n
Luminary

Re: Orbi loses connection every 3-4 weeks -- need to do factory reset

@skylar28 wrote:

I am having a very perplexing problem. I have the Orbi RBR850. Every 3-4 weeks, it goes magenta and loses connection to the internet/modem. I reset the modem and Orbi, still no connection. For good measure, I hook up my laptop directly to the modem and after I reset the modem, my laptop shows a strong connection.

The only way I can seem to get the Orbi to connect is to do a factory reset. I have the most recent version of the firmware.

I contacted netgear and they had me change some wifi settings on the Orbi but these seems odd since it should just work when connected, right? And what would stabilizing the wifi settings help with a hardwired connect?

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas on what could be the problem, I'm all ears. Or, better yet, how can I get Netgear just to replace the units since this has happened 3 times since I've bought the units March 2023.

If the interval is 3-4 weeks, you probably don't have defective hardware; if so, it probably wouldn't work for long if at all.

I agree that changing WIFI settings should not normally affect the connection to the modem. 

Q's:

1) So, power-cycling the 850 doesn't bring it back up?  You have to put a pin in the back and reset the Orbi and go through the setup again?  And you are also doing a "reset" on the modem or just a power-cycle?

2) Once you get it back up and running, if you power-cycle the modem and Orbi will they come back online OK with no intervention?

3) Who is your ISP and which modem? 

4) Do you have IPv6 enabled?

5) Can you still, while the Orbi has the magenta light, connect to the Modem's IP address through the Orbi Router (if so, check the modem uptime to see if has been up during the entire event)?

6) Firmware version, for reference.

Things I would look at if/when this happens again is:

- Orbi Connection Status (http://Orbi_IP/RST_st_dhcp.htm) to make sure that looks OK, and if you are using IPv6, check that page too to make sure it is connected.

- Orbi Statistics (http://Orbi_IP/RST_statistics.htm) to check how long the Orbi has been online (uptime).

- Same info on your Modem if it has a stats page to show how long it has been up and online. If the modem has been online the entire time, that would be useful to know.  Also, when it loses connection, can you immediately connect directly to the modem with the laptop, or do you have to power-cycle the modem?  Some ISP modems won't reconnect to a new device without a power-cycle, so this may or may not be useful.

Anyway, that's where I'd start.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7