Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi not working RBR850

Boldlygoborg
Aspirant

Orbi not working RBR850

Hello.

Our modem is working (according to Comcast) but can’t get wifi to work. The Orbi has the purple color. I’ve attempted power cycling 5 times (per this https://kb.netgear.com/19755/How-do-I-power-cycle-my-home-network) with no luck. What else can I try?
Message 1 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi not working RBR850

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-mean

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

If your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop
https://kb.netgear.com/000061277/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-Orbi-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-...

Message 2 of 18
Boldlygoborg
Aspirant

To add clarity it was working fine before yesterday morning. A storm rolled through and we lost internet (never lost power).

The modem is A nighthawk CM2000.

Have already tried the power cycling steps several times without fixing it.
Message 3 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A STP is recommended between the RBR and CM modem.

Do does a wired PC connected to the CM modem with out the RBR connected to the modem work or does the PC not get internet here as well? Connect 1 wired PC to the modem and power the modem OFF for 30 seconds then back ON. Check for internet services with the PC.  

Message 4 of 18
Boldlygoborg
Aspirant

The Ethernet cable from the nighthawk modem to the laptop connected the laptop to the internet. I used the reset button on the Orbi earlier to try to set it up fresh as an option and get stuck at the end - it says a cable is not detected now. I can’t check the firmware version (that I can see) without it finishing the set up. We are using the cable the Orbi came with and had been working since we got the Orbi in February (and connected just now to the laptop fine).
Message 5 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Try swapping cables with another cable. 

Message 6 of 18
Boldlygoborg
Aspirant

Did not work
Message 7 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you using the Orbi app or the laptop and web browser when you walk thru the setup wizard when you FR the RBR? 

After you FR reset the RBR and the front LED starts to pulsate WHITE, did you power the RBR AND CM modem OFF for 1 minute then back ON with the CM modem first, then the RBR, once the RBR starts to pulstate WHITE, walk thru the setup wizard with the wired laptop and web browser at 192.168.1.1? 

Might try a FR with the RBR disconnected from the CM Modem and see if you can walk thru the setup wizard and get to the RBRs home screen.

Do you have access the RBRs and RBS web pages at all where you can update FW on the RBS web pages? 

@Boldlygoborg wrote:
The Ethernet cable from the nighthawk modem to the laptop connected the laptop to the internet. I used the reset button on the Orbi earlier to try to set it up fresh as an option and get stuck at the end - it says a cable is not detected now. I can’t check the firmware version (that I can see) without it finishing the set up. We are using the cable the Orbi came with and had been working since we got the Orbi in February (and connected just now to the laptop fine).

Message 8 of 18
Boldlygoborg
Aspirant

I was using the mobile app. When I try via the laptop for 192.168.1.1 it can't reach the page. My Nighthawk modem only has one outgoing ethernet port which is plugged into the laptop. Just to be safe, I also tried 192.168.1.1 with the Ethernet from the modem to the orbi while using the laptop (hotspot from mobile provide to provide it internet). Also did not work.

With the factory reset of the orbit, and the restart of the modem and router as you explained, on restart the orbi never "blinks" white. It's a steady white.

Message 9 of 18
Boldlygoborg
Aspirant

Sorry, one more update. I realized I didn't try to connect to the Orbi wifi before accessing the 192.168.1.1 and just did that. It also tells me that 

No Ethernet Cable is plugged into the Router Internet Port

This is the same cable that was plugged into the laptop and working, it is now plugged into the Orbi while this message displays. Not sure how to get the the firmware pages.

Message 10 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

What does the Show Statistics page display on the RBRs web page for the WAN connection? 

Thinking maybe the RBR is faulty...

Message 11 of 18
Boldlygoborg
Aspirant

Ok, so after trying several times I finally got the IP address to work and changed the WIFI password, and got to the firmware screen. Orbi is purple, and if I try to move forward from this screen it fails. But here's the firmware info

Model Name Device Name Current Firmware Version Status
RouterRBR850RBR850V4.6.8.2No Internet
SatelliteRBS850Orbi Satellite-1V4.6.8.2No Internet

Message 12 of 18
Boldlygoborg
Aspirant

Sorry, not sure how to get to that?

Message 13 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Screenshot 2022-08-21 at 7.13.46 PM.png

Can you get to this window on the RBR using the Show Statistics button on the Advanced Tab page? 

Message 14 of 18
Boldlygoborg
Aspirant

Here you go. I power cycled again this morning, reset to factory, power cycled, and went to the IP set up. Was able to change admin and wifi passwords but the dashboard says not connected for Ethernet. Orbi flashing white. Here’s the statistics page. Hope that helps.
Message 15 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, sounds like there is a problem at the RBR. 

I would contact NG support and let them know that your laptop is working with the modem however when you connect the RBR, its not getting a connection to the modem, even with ALL troubleshooting you've done here. You can reference this thread as well for there review. 

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Message 16 of 18
Boldlygoborg
Aspirant

Thank so much for the support!
Message 17 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it turns out.

@Blanca_O @KevinLiT