Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi rbr350 connected using wifi but wont connect wired

PhenkQ
Follower

Orbi rbr350 connected using wifi but wont connect wired

Hi,

I have orbi Rbr350. I set the username and password and change vlan setting to number 2 to connect to internet. Wifi working perfectly but it wont connect wired. I can see that it give my wired device ip address, i can run cmd and ping google.com and got a reply but if i open firefox, it wont open any website. Called netgear customer service so many times. They told me to exchange the orbi twice with faulty product reason. Please help. Thank you
Model: RBW30|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi rbr350 connected using wifi but wont connect wired

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What wired device do you have connected? Connected to the RBR or the RBS? 

Message 2 of 13
kin-mye
Tutor

Hi.

I have the same issue: RBR350 works with wifi but not wired. I am testing using only router (no satellites). If you don't mind, I put the details of my issue here so that we can share efforts.

So, did you change the router and the problem persist?

This is my case.

To simplify the localization of the issue my network now is very simple:  MODEM (ONT) -> Orbi Router -> Laptop

The modem ONT is Huawei HG8240H

When I connect laptop using a ethernet cat6 cable directly to the router, it does no work: I can ping a remote host, but I cannot use a browser or wget. (Using wget -d it stops after Initiating SSL handshake, and does not print "handshake successful").

In fact yesterday started to work at a given moment, not sure why. Then, I moved forward to use the switch/satellite and it stopped again (wifi ok). I couldn't make it work again (wired), not even with first setup (direct connection router-laptop) and after reboots with power-on cycle.

I can connet to the configuration page of the router, both using wifi or cable. The IP, DNS, speed test, seems to be ok.

The firmaware seems to be the last one 4.3.4.8 (but I did not update manually).

This is what I want to do and how I started:

MODEM -> Orbi Router -> Switch (unmanaged) -> Orbi satellites and other wired devices.

I was able to configure the router to remove the one provided by telco company (VLAN, PPPoE credentials, NAT filtering open; use MAC of original router, leave the suggested MTU value for PPPoE 1492, which I think was also the value in the original router).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you use the ISP modem as your man host router and configure AP mode on the Orbi RBR? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?

@kin-mye wrote:

Hi.

I have the same issue: RBR350 works with wifi but not wired. I am testing using only router (no satellites). If you don't mind, I put the details of my issue here so that we can share efforts.

So, did you change the router and the problem persist?

This is my case.

To simplify the localization of the issue my network now is very simple:  MODEM (ONT) -> Orbi Router -> Laptop

The modem ONT is Huawei HG8240H

When I connect laptop using a ethernet cat6 cable directly to the router, it does no work: I can ping a remote host, but I cannot use a browser or wget. (Using wget -d it stops after Initiating SSL handshake, and does not print "handshake successful").

In fact yesterday started to work at a given moment, not sure why. Then, I moved forward to use the switch/satellite and it stopped again (wifi ok). I couldn't make it work again (wired), not even with first setup (direct connection router-laptop) and after reboots with power-on cycle.

I can connet to the configuration page of the router, both using wifi or cable. The IP, DNS, speed test, seems to be ok.

The firmaware seems to be the last one 4.3.4.8 (but I did not update manually).

This is what I want to do and how I started:

MODEM -> Orbi Router -> Switch (unmanaged) -> Orbi satellites and other wired devices.

I was able to configure the router to remove the one provided by telco company (VLAN, PPPoE credentials, NAT filtering open; use MAC of original router, leave the suggested MTU value for PPPoE 1492, which I think was also the value in the original router).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Message 4 of 13
kin-mye
Tutor

Hi.

Answers:

a)

If I use the Orbi RBR350 as AP, then I can use it with both wired or wifi connection from laptop to Orbi AP.

I mean: configuration:

ONT -> Telcom Router (wifi off) -> Switch (to orbi and other devices) -> wired to orbi main unit RBR350 -> laptop (either wired or wifi)

The speed is very good (the expected).

b) The ONT model  is Huawei HG8240H

---

My original plans were use the RBR as router and disconnect the telcom router. Alternatively,  for the AP  option, where should I put the router with respect switch?

a) ONT -> Gateway Router -> Orbi Router (as AP) -> Switch - Satellites + other devices (same configuration that 3 in https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy... but the router is an AP)

b) ONT -> Gateway Router -> Switch -> Orbi Router (as AP) + Satelltes + other devices

I am using option (a) and seems to work (with input cable  in "internet" port). Option (b) would allow me to put router in other part of the house to optimize the wifi coverage if needed.

I need that satellites use the wired backhaul as the wifi coverage is low.

Thanks!

Message 5 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

You need to ask your ISP if its possible to remove the Huawei HG8240H

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?

Yes, the internet port always needs to be used for either AP mode or Router mode on the RBR. 

Message 6 of 13
kin-mye
Tutor

Hi

The ISP say it is not possible to replace even the main router (to guarantee best service, ehem). However, it is well documented how to find the data needed to substitute the router and some information to substitute also the ONT. Why do you think this ONT is the problem? 

The switch is TP-Link TL- SG1016D.

I don't think the switch is an issue: I have the problem without using the switch with RBR350 as router  (only ONT->RBR350->Laptop wired) and I do not have problems including the switch with the RBR350 as AP.

Thanks!

Message 7 of 13
kin-mye
Tutor

I contacted technical service. They say they know about this issue. A bug seems to have been introduced in firmware update and more people are having this issue. They will tell me when a new firmware is available.

Message 8 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

You contacted NG services? 

Keep on it...

Message 9 of 13
kin-mye
Tutor

Yes. They told me that they will contact me when it is solved. Let's see ..
Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 11 of 13
ROLgear
Aspirant

I'm having the same problem with firmware V4.4.0.10_2.10.63, did they ever get back to you and did they solve your problem? 

Message 12 of 13
kin-mye
Tutor

Hi. I did not get any answer and I left the gateway router, using Orbi as AP. Not what I wanted but in fact I am having very good internet speeds, both wired and wifi in all the parts of the house.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7