Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi security WPA options

Wizzard370
Tutor

Orbi security WPA options

I have RBR353 set of mesh. Currently I am using WPA2-PSK option. Should I be usinfg the WPA3 option?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi security WPA options

From page 68 of the User Manual:

CrimpOn_0-1674921731238.png

Only the most recent devices support WPA3. If you have computers, TV's, "Internet of Things" stuff, printers, etc. that are more than a couple of years old, they simply will not connect if security is set to WPA3.

If you have really old WiFi devices, they may not connect to WPA2.

You can certainly experiment.  Set it to WPA3 and see what does not connect.  If anything fails to connect, set it to WPA2 (the setting most people use.)  If there are still devices that fail to connect, set it to the least secure.  I found that everything in my house connects to WPA2.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

From page 68 of the User Manual:

CrimpOn_0-1674921731238.png

Only the most recent devices support WPA3. If you have computers, TV's, "Internet of Things" stuff, printers, etc. that are more than a couple of years old, they simply will not connect if security is set to WPA3.

If you have really old WiFi devices, they may not connect to WPA2.

You can certainly experiment.  Set it to WPA3 and see what does not connect.  If anything fails to connect, set it to WPA2 (the setting most people use.)  If there are still devices that fail to connect, set it to the least secure.  I found that everything in my house connects to WPA2.

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Until comes out with mixed mode WPA2 and WPA3 for the 350 series, you'll need to keep WPA2 for now for backwards compatibility for wifi devices that don't support WPA3. 

@Wizzard370 wrote:

I have RBR353 set of mesh. Currently I am using WPA2-PSK option. Should I be usinfg the WPA3 option?

Message 3 of 5
Wizzard370
Tutor

Interesting.  Are you saying that if I have a non-compliant WPA3 WiFi device, it will not connect to the Router and the Internet?

Message 4 of 5
schumaku
Guru

With an unknown wireless client not supporting WPA3 of any kind, and eg. the Orbi being configured for WPA3-SAE? Yes, very unlikely you can ever connect successfully to the router and the Internet the router is offering.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7