Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi vs Eero and other Mesh: Managed switches and network configurations

Drewligarchy
Aspirant

Orbi vs Eero and other Mesh: Managed switches and network configurations

I recently purchased the new Orbi Wifi 6E system with 3 satellites. I've had Orbi's in the past, but I am in a house where I can use wired backhaul rather than wireless.

When I initially moved in, my installer wanted to use Eeros, so we started with them. They were quite stable for a couple years, but then just started having stability issues. I could have troubleshooted more - but I wanted to upgrade.

Here is the main point of my post: what, technologically, prevents Orbis from working with managed switches and other network devices? My Eeros could be plugged in anywhere and worked just fine. No daisy chaining or star configuration. Any ethernet cable connected to my home network worked - and synced instantly. I had to go through a lot of troubleshooting, and ultimately work around a large Araknis switch running Cat 6 throughout my house to get the Orbis to work . That said, when working - the thoroughput on the Orbis are significantly better stability is good thus far - but we'll see. I am happy with the product if it continues to perform like this - I just don't understand why it's so hard.

Anyhow, I'm just trying to understand why Orbis are so temperamental with wired backhaul whereas Eeros, and potentially other mesh systems aren't. Is it software, hardware - features that the Orbis use? I feel like with Netgear's expertise in networking - based on the generation of Orbi we are on - it should just work. But maybe I just don't know about some of the technology being used.

Anyhow - curious if anyone has thoughts on this whose used multiple mesh systems.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
ekhalil
Master

Re: Orbi vs Eero and other Mesh: Managed switches and network configurations

Orbi works with managed switches if you configure the switches correctly:

• The main issue with managed switches is that they discover and block loops! Orbi satellites when connected by ethernet cables and also wirelessly will cause loops, this is normal in mesh networks, but managed switches think it's an issue and block them which will cause the wired satellites to stop working. Usually managed switches have settings to just log loops and do not block them. I think if you get this setting right you will be ok. Unmanaged switches are not smart enough to detect loops that's why they are ok.
  • Green features in few managed switches will cause the backhaul connections (connection between router and satellites and between satellites) to go down all time to save energy and that will cause issues with Orbi. So if you disable such features that will be ok.
  • Orbi does not support VLAN tagging, so VLAN should be disabled on the ports where you connect Orbi nodes.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

I think a lot depends on the switch. I have the same setup with orbi's and wired backhaul and use a wired managed switch. But its a netgear one. The only thing I did was disable its green functions. Works great. 

Message 2 of 5
ekhalil
Master

Orbi works with managed switches if you configure the switches correctly:

• The main issue with managed switches is that they discover and block loops! Orbi satellites when connected by ethernet cables and also wirelessly will cause loops, this is normal in mesh networks, but managed switches think it's an issue and block them which will cause the wired satellites to stop working. Usually managed switches have settings to just log loops and do not block them. I think if you get this setting right you will be ok. Unmanaged switches are not smart enough to detect loops that's why they are ok.
  • Green features in few managed switches will cause the backhaul connections (connection between router and satellites and between satellites) to go down all time to save energy and that will cause issues with Orbi. So if you disable such features that will be ok.
  • Orbi does not support VLAN tagging, so VLAN should be disabled on the ports where you connect Orbi nodes.
Message 3 of 5
Drewligarchy
Aspirant

I wish someone would have told me to give this a try rather than just ditch the managed switches.

I'll play around with them.

I have an Araknis AN-30-SW-16. Replacing with a Netgear 10 port unmanaged immediately solved the issue.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

User found a while back that for managed switches, disabling ALL IGMP protocols solved issues with RBS connected to these switches. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7