Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Phone connectivity issues with Orbi RBR/s750

CharlesWK
Aspirant

Phone connectivity issues with Orbi RBR/s750

I have an Oribi RBR 750 with two RBS satellites.  I am having connection issues with my Samsung Note 10+.  I will have a good connection but at some point it will indicate no internet while still connected to my WiFi (other devices are just fine).  I have to turn off the phone's WiFi for a few seconds and turn it back on for it to connect with internet.  Sometimes I have to repeat the process before things finally behave.  I can't determine if it is a hand-off problem among the satellites and router, interference from one of the satellites that uses the 5GHz backhaul, or what.  In fact, I have had the phone on my nightstand, everything is fine but some time during the night the internet is lost, even though it is still shown connected both on the phone and the router.  I have never had this problem anywhere else, including another Orbi system at another location.  I just feel like the phone chokes on hand-off or where the WiFi signals between two devices are at similar strengths, thus competing for the phones "attention."  So, looking for troubleshooting suggestions.

Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Phone connectivity issues with Orbi RBR/s750

Intermittent issues are the very devil to diagnose.

• The Samsung Note 10+ never recovers by itself?
  • Is there a user forum for the Note 10+?  If customers are reporting similar issues with other brands of WiFi, then it might be a "Samsung problem."
  • Some Samsung devices display the signal strength of every available WiFi access point with the same SSID?
  • When I click on the little "gear" symbol, my Samsung Galaxy Tab  S6 Lite shows the signal strength of all eight access points that are broadcasting the primary WiFi SSID (router + 3 satellites = 4.  times two radios each (2.4G and 5G) = 😎
    If there is another access point with a strength very close to the one that the Note 10+ has selected, then it might be interesting to experiment with reducing the Transmit Power of the 5G WiFi signal. This is on the Orbi web interface, Advanced Menu, under Advanced WiFi Settings.  Personally, I keep everything blasting away at 100% power, but everything seems to be working so, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A STP is recommended. 

How many RBS are deployed? 
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR📡 and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wired or wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

Does this happen with the RBS turned OFF? 
Does this happen with both wireless and wired devices? 
What channel configurations are currently set on the router?  

Be sure to disable any MAC Address randomizers on phones and pads while at home:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/NETGEAR-Mobile-Applications-and-Apple-Devices-FAQ/td-p/222...

Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

@CharlesWK wrote:

I have an Oribi RBR 750 with two RBS satellites.  I am having connection issues with my Samsung Note 10+.  I will have a good connection but at some point it will indicate no internet while still connected to my WiFi (other devices are just fine).  I have to turn off the phone's WiFi for a few seconds and turn it back on for it to connect with internet.  Sometimes I have to repeat the process before things finally behave.  I can't determine if it is a hand-off problem among the satellites and router, interference from one of the satellites that uses the 5GHz backhaul, or what.  In fact, I have had the phone on my nightstand, everything is fine but some time during the night the internet is lost, even though it is still shown connected both on the phone and the router.  I have never had this problem anywhere else, including another Orbi system at another location.  I just feel like the phone chokes on hand-off or where the WiFi signals between two devices are at similar strengths, thus competing for the phones "attention."  So, looking for troubleshooting suggestions.

Message 3 of 5
CharlesWK
Aspirant

It turned out to be a wonky switch used for certain hardwired devices.  Replacing it with a new one solved all the issues I was having.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7