Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Please help can't reset ORBI 850 satelittes

Eriksen76
Apprentice

Please help can't reset ORBI 850 satelittes

Hi there. I am very frustrated sorry.. Today I factory reset my Orbi 850 router with the paper clip and I also wanted to reset the satelittes and pair them up again.

It setup the router as it was from scratch but i found it strange that it could somehow it still se my 2 sattelites but as disconnected.

I deleted them and tried to factory reset the sattelites. It seems impossible to do so.

Tried for hours now. Both of the Orbi sattelites old name are still visible as wifi network when searching so I guess they have not been reset. And I cannot pair them up again with router.

Any idea what to do. I tried the paper clips method and simply cannot add the satelittes now??

It is possible to login to a sattelite and do it that way??

Please help me pairing these 2 up again. After they have been powered up for about 10 minutes the lights turn of on them.

To sum up can't factory reset the satelites, and can't connect them to my router either in the state that they are in.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Please help can't reset ORBI 850 satelittes

Ya not sure if the reset button is working. I do prefer using the ERASE button, which i've been told that also sends the FR command to ANY connected RBS and triggers there reset to beging there. I then recommend letting the RBR and RBS come to that semi ready state and allow the RBS to connect to the default SSID name and PW. Once the front LEDS are blue, then beging the setup wizard routine. 

Is the 3rd RBS an RBS that you bought afterwards or an newer alien RBS? Reason for asking is that all RBS and RBR in a kit box have the same default SSID name and PW. Seems like the 3rd one is an alien RBS that you added later on. Which you can, just if and when you use the ERASE button and let the 3rd RBS do it's reset, it may not auto connect to the RBRs default SSID and PW. It will need to be re-synced using the Add Satellite function. Which I have done and tested out as I got a 3rd RBS this past summer and was worried it wouldn't connect. It did and worked when I had it online. 

I would do this for RBS that are connected however not really reset, If there seen by the RBR, bring them near or in same room as the RBR. Trigger the ERASE function. Watch the 3rd RBS in back and the power LED should go from GREEN to AMBER Then back to GREEN, when you seen GREEN here, power OFF the 3rd RBS for now. 

Watch the original RBS and leave them ON, the RBR and RBS should auto sync after the reset has been processed. Say 5-10 minutes. Once you see BLUE infront of the RBR, walk thru the setup wizard. Get the system setup with the two RBS. 

WIll come back to the 3rd RBS later.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Been told that if you factory reset the RBR using the ERASE button on the RBRs web page, this sends a FR command to any and all connected RBS, then all you need to do is after that processes, what for them to auto reconnect to the RBRs default SSID name, once there LED is BLUE In front, then begin the setup routine using the RBRs web page with a web browser or Orbi app. 

How long did you press the reset button for? 15 second press in back of the RBR or RBS is needed, then release. 

What FW version is loaded on the system?

Message 2 of 6
Eriksen76
Apprentice

Your help is appriciated, thanks. Sorry for the long explanation below, but maby it helps.

Actually I believe that i did hold the clip for 15 seconds and maby longer. Tried for hours.

Its strange that I started resetting the router and it acted as if it had been factory reset. You know asking for which Internet connection i had. Afterwards it had the old SSID information etc. etc., But it still knew the name of the previously connected satellites (The were just shown as unavailable). So I would not call it a complete reset. Or maby it was actually reset and the satellites automaticly showed in the router webinterface because those were not reset? Could that be the case??

But I read that numerious people on the Internet wasn't able to reset satellites either. It should not be that complicated, i mean there is a reset button on the back of the satellites? It should be easy.

I'm running the latest FW on all 3 units: V7.2.6.21_5.0.20

In the meantime in desperation I rebooted my router a couple of times and suddenly the satellites reconnected to my router. But still with the old names ("Livingroom" etc. etc.) so I don't think that those had been reset.

I might try that type of FR you mention, but I am terrified if everything is going down again for hours.

My setup consist of a 852 set (You know a router and a satellite bought as a set) and then i bought another 850 satellite .

The the ones bought in a 2-set has the SSID default "ORBI79" and same default password for both router and satellite.

The third unit bought as a single one has SSID "ORBI73" and different default password than the set.

Not sure if that has influence on the method of factory resetting from the web interface? Will that still reset them all?

Please let me know what you think of above before I further.

Thanks

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya not sure if the reset button is working. I do prefer using the ERASE button, which i've been told that also sends the FR command to ANY connected RBS and triggers there reset to beging there. I then recommend letting the RBR and RBS come to that semi ready state and allow the RBS to connect to the default SSID name and PW. Once the front LEDS are blue, then beging the setup wizard routine. 

Is the 3rd RBS an RBS that you bought afterwards or an newer alien RBS? Reason for asking is that all RBS and RBR in a kit box have the same default SSID name and PW. Seems like the 3rd one is an alien RBS that you added later on. Which you can, just if and when you use the ERASE button and let the 3rd RBS do it's reset, it may not auto connect to the RBRs default SSID and PW. It will need to be re-synced using the Add Satellite function. Which I have done and tested out as I got a 3rd RBS this past summer and was worried it wouldn't connect. It did and worked when I had it online. 

I would do this for RBS that are connected however not really reset, If there seen by the RBR, bring them near or in same room as the RBR. Trigger the ERASE function. Watch the 3rd RBS in back and the power LED should go from GREEN to AMBER Then back to GREEN, when you seen GREEN here, power OFF the 3rd RBS for now. 

Watch the original RBS and leave them ON, the RBR and RBS should auto sync after the reset has been processed. Say 5-10 minutes. Once you see BLUE infront of the RBR, walk thru the setup wizard. Get the system setup with the two RBS. 

WIll come back to the 3rd RBS later.

Message 4 of 6
Eriksen76
Apprentice

Thanks

First of all, yes you are right the third satellite is an add on bought seperately.

Actually I bought it because there was a discount and it was much cheaper buying a set consisting of 1 router and 1 satelitte + buying the single satellite instead of a 3 unit set.

So yes you are right, the extra satellite has a difference SSID than the 2 pc. set.

A few hours before your posted I had to try doing the RESET from web interface which you mentioned as a solution.

You are right, it was somehow different and much faster.

This was what I experienced.

Sorry but I did not see which color any of the units changed to. But when I got offline and I saw the ORBI SSID I knew it had been reset. So i logged on that WIFI with the default password.

After setting the router up from scratch it did automaticly match up with the corresponding satellite from the set as you wrote. With standard SSID names as well like when it was brand new. Perfect!

But as you mentioned the add on satellite (3) was not visible so I got a bit anxious if I could now connect that as well.

I am not 100% sure which color the add on satellite had when looking but I think it was solid green or blue but not sure...But solid color!

But most important I could now easily pair this as an extra satellite together with the 1+1 set 🙂 Within seconds.

It also had the default satellite name which I could rename to what i prefered. So something must have been reset 🙂

Only strange thing was that for a while when searching for WIFI networks on my pc it kept seeing the old SSID's that the 2 sattelites was named before the full reset? ("Livingroom" etc.)

But after a while the old SSID's where no longer visible... Still I find it very strange now that the name was long gone when pairing and they where still visible on network for a while? Maby a wrong report from netcard?

But it seems its up and running now.

So my advice is to ALWAYS do a full reset from web interface, not using paper clip method

Thanks again

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)?

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7