Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Proposed Network Design

MikeCook66
Aspirant

Proposed Network Design

I'm considering getting an Orbi, can anyone comment on whether this is an efficient network design ?

Message 1 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Proposed Network Design

The text on the connection lines is too small to read.

What sort of switch is this?

There are two Ethernet cables from the Living Room to the upstairs bedroom.

Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure if you ethernet connect the RBS, use the following methods to achieve that:

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy... 📡 ‌‌🛰

Be sure you use a non managed ethernet switch. 

if you don't use a multi gig switch, and only use a 1Gb LAN switch, be sure to connect the RBS using there 1Gb LAN ports. Don't connect the 2.5Gb ports.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR📡 and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wired or wirelessly connected.

@MikeCook66 wrote:

I'm considering getting an Orbi, can anyone comment on whether this is an efficient network design ?

Message 3 of 7
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello @MikeCook66 ,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!

The most efficient network design is to connect the satellite to the router. The second option will be to use a daisy chain topology in which the second satellite will connect to the first satellite. The first satellite is then connected to the router. 

Please navigate to the link below for a visual of the recommended Orbi mesh system in home placement:

Where should I place my Orbi satellite? - NETGEAR Support

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 4 of 7
MikeCook66
Aspirant

in this design the router and satellite are connected, although the connectivity to the switch has to come from the satellite 

Message 5 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Design 1 was better.  The more devices that connect directly to the router, the better.  There is no reason to run everything connected to the switch through the satellite.

(The type is still too small to read, which is probably I only now have come to realize that some of the icons are wall jacks (or a patch panel and what all these things are).

With two Ethernet cables to upstairs:

• One cable carries the Internet connection from ISP device to router.
  • The other cable carries the router LAN network from router to switch.  Everything downstairs connects directly to the switch.

I suppose there is a reason why the media server is not located near the switch or under the stairs?

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

You need to have the FIber ONT tun direclty to the Orbi RBR first off. Don't put a switch in between the FIber ONT and RBR. Doesn't work like that. 
Put the Switch behind the RBR and then you can connect the RBS to this switch as such:
https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy... 📡

RBS have to be ethernet connected behind the RBR or with a switch thats connected behind the RBR.

Put the Orbi RBR router in the living room with the Fiber ONT. 

Be sure your using goos quality CAT6A STP lan cabling between the RBS and RBR if your connecting them via there 2.5Gb LAN Ports. 

What brand of switch are you using? 1Gb or Mult Gig? 

Non managed switch is recommended here. 

@MikeCook66 wrote:

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7