Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK 852 slow wired and Wi-Fi than this time last year

muusicman
Aspirant

RBK 852 slow wired and Wi-Fi than this time last year

Even with these numbers on my speedtest.net app on my iPhone 11 Pro Max my Wi-Fi still seems slow.  Is it me or my ISP??  Once flu season is well passed and it gets warmer I’m going to be calling my Fiber ISP. I just don’t understand this. It’s infuriating!  Anything I can do?  Wired also gets 930 Mbps+. It was so fast this time last year when it was first installed. Network congestion??  Maybe my ISP is throttling me?? It’s making me pretty upset. It’s a shared fiber connection too I think. Not dedicated. However, I don’t really know that. It’s a small rather local ISP.

I would give anything for it to be as fast as it was when it was first installed. Maybe at that time I was one of the first hooked up in my neighborhood?? Please help. I’m disabled and the internet is my lifeline to the world. My health is poor too.  I know I’ve  posted far too much on here. It’s just still an ongoing issue. I’ll post this on the Reddit Community as well.

️ Netgear Orbi RBK 852 with 1 RBR 850 and 1 RBS 850

️ Latest Firmware Installed

️ Home Size Around 1,500 Square Feet 

️ Router and Satellite are at least 30 feet away from one another.

any other questions, feel free to ask.  I just don’t want to factory reset the units as I don’t think it will help. I’m on my second set of Orbi’s in 2 years. I never have done a factory reset on these but I did on my original set. It never helped. I had these issues on my original set as well. 

I feel I’m at my wits end!

https://www.reddit.com/r/orbi/comments/1axtm7y/this_idiot_needs_help_again_im_sorry

Message 1 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

The post did not mention the speed that the Internet Service Provider (ISP) promised to deliver.

A device connected to the router with Ethernet cable (i.e. 'wired') can deliver almost 1Gigabit speed.  There is overhead in Ethernet transmission that makes the maximum possible transmission rate slightly less than "1 Gig".  Thus, the reported speed of 930Gbps is as good as it can ever be.

An iPhone connected over WiFi has a theoretical maximum speed that matches the Orbi 850 (i.e. 2.4Gbps).  This can be achieved only if:

• The iPhone is within a few feet of the Orbi. (2-3 feet.  not 9-10 feet)
  • There are absolutely zero other devices using 5G WiFi on the same frequency bands. (not just in your house, but any device close enough to have a signal strength above -80).
  • And, of course, the iPhone cannot possibly produce a Speed Test greater than the ISP is delivering.

Perhaps it would be helpful  to have more details about how the network "seems slow". The reported speeds and latency numbers are fabulous.  Do specific web sites not open quickly?  Does video streaming seem to lag or stutter?  Do Zoom conference calls break up?

Message 2 of 15
muusicman
Aspirant

I’m so sorry I didn’t provide more info. I meant to. When the fiber was first installed yes sites loaded faster. Streaming apps loaded video faster too. Download on wired PC via speedtest.net was around 945 down and up. Now slower. Ping was lower at first too. Same with Wi-Fi. Speeds were faster, download and upload was a larger number and ping was lower. During I’d say the first 6 months of it coming to my area and me getting hooked up the speed was wonderful. Never had a single issue. I don’t know really at all how any of this works. I just know when I first got it it was faster. I’d have wired desktop speeds of like 940 down and 940 up with a ping of 3. Now the upload and download are slightly lower and the ping on the desktop is 5. Likewise on my iPhones and iPads the speed was faster both download and upload and the ping was 5 and now it’s 8-10. Maybe this is normal and I just need to get used to it but it’s hard to wrap my head around all of this.

Oh and before I forget… the ISP Website is
https://www.co-mo.net/residential/internet-for-residential/
Message 3 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

My guess is that your initial impression is correct. As more customers subscribe to the service, there is more traffic and thus performance suffers..... slightly.   I am a bit surprised that the difference is enough for a person to notice.  Those of us with ping times above 11ms (compared to your 😎 are green with envy.

Message 4 of 15
muusicman
Aspirant

I totally understand. I just wish it were still as good as my day 1. Is there a chance I don’t have it quite setup correctly?? I never could get anyone to walk me through as I set it up from start to finish. I really wish I had that. My health is so bad. The internet is my only entertainment.
Message 5 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 6 of 15
muusicman
Aspirant

Wonder how good it’ll be on an iPhone 15?
Message 7 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

I'd check Apple for antenna and MIMO support. 

Message 8 of 15
muusicman
Aspirant

I have no idea what that all means.
Message 9 of 15
muusicman
Aspirant

@FURRYe38,
Do you use Reddit or anything? I’d like to message you and ask you a specific question. Also, sent you a pic of where my Orbi router is placed in my media room. My home is old. I only have one place I can put an Ethernet cable which is here in my TV room which is fine because I spend 90 percent of my time in here. I have my satellite a good distance away. At least 30 feet. I think anyway. This house was build in the mid 60s. It’s my grandmas house. I’m disabled so I live with her. I just want my internet to be the best it can be. I’ve had 1 gbps fiber for about a year. It’s slower now than it was when first installed.

Message 10 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

If you click on a person's screen name, such as @FURRYe38 , this will open a web page with the option to send a Private Message to that user.  (it appears in the same mailbox as messages they are following on the community forum.)

Message 11 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Is this the picture?

https://www.reddit.com/r/orbi/comments/1bcaip0/good_or_bad_router_placement

if so, I would say the RBR is too close to the subwoofer and other electronics. 6 feet distance from the RBR from other devices is recommended. Also away from the wall as much as possible. 

@muusicman wrote:

Do you use Reddit or anything? I’d like to message you and ask you a specific question. Also, sent you a pic of where my Orbi router is placed in my media room. My home is old. I only have one place I can put an Ethernet cable which is here in my TV room which is fine because I spend 90 percent of my time in here. I have my satellite a good distance away. At least 30 feet. I think anyway. This house was build in the mid 60s. It’s my grandmas house. I’m disabled so I live with her. I just want my internet to be the best it can be. I’ve had 1 gbps fiber for about a year. It’s slower now than it was when first installed.

Message 12 of 15
muusicman
Aspirant

I’m in a very tiny bedroom that I converted into a media room. Very little space to work with. I’ll try to send you a picture somehow of my whole room. Panorama style. How do I contact you for that?
Message 13 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Post it here. 

Message 14 of 15
muusicman
Aspirant

How do I post a picture here using an iPhone?
Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7