Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK352 OpenVPN

satelly
Aspirant

RBK352 OpenVPN

Just recently set up an Orbic RBK352 (AX1800) with 1 router and 1 satellite. Everything connected smoothly including setting up the OpenVPN. However, have seen found that setting up the OpenVPN automatically ticks the "Respond to Ping on Internet Port" option which is grayed out. Searching through the forum shows that this is a known issue with Netgear routers.

There has been discussion of using Telnet to turn this off, however, Telnet is not selected on AX routers. I have tried various options to turn on Telnet including "netgear_telnet-main" and "NetgearTelnetEnable" but havent been able to get them to work.

Are there any other options to turn off "Respond to Ping on Internet Port" when utitilizing OpenVPN?

Thanks

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBK352 OpenVPN

If it were not so frustrating, this could be fun!

I brought up the WAN Setup page on my old Orbi, put the cursor on the Respond to Ping line, right clicked to "Inspect Element"

enabled.JPG

I then highlightedd the word 'disabled' and changed it to 'enabled' (see above). That changed the check box to solid instead of grey and I was able to check or uncheck it. I did not click on "Apply" (would be suicide to nertz my Orbi right now)

Maybe you could see if your Orbi has a similar web page?

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 10

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

OpenVPN is enabled on my RBR50, and the "Respond to Ping on.." box is unchecked (and greyed out).

respond.JPG

On your RBR350, the box is checked and greyed out?

Message 2 of 10
satelly
Aspirant

Thanks CrimpOn. That's correct. The box is checked and dimmed out. I read the same thing on a number of other threads eg. https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Respond-to-ping-enabled-when-using-vpn-on-R7...

Message 3 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

I have come to accept that Netgear changes options from one version of Orbi to the next, often without any obvious benefit, and certainly without any explanation.  This one seems just stupid.  Why draw attention to the public IP by responding to pings?

It might be interesting to see if disabling OpenVPN restores the ability to uncheck this box.  i.e.

• Go into VPN and "un"enable VPN.
  • Restart the Orbi.
  • Go into the WLAN options panel and see if the Respond to Ping option can be modified.
  • (if so) uncheck it.
  • Return to VPN and enable it.

Message 4 of 10
satelly
Aspirant

Once you un"enable" VPN, the Respond to Ping option can modified and in fact automatically turns off. The problem is that as soon as you "enable" VPN, it automatically turns on and gray out so you cant modify it.

Previously other people have posted about changing the option via Telnet, however I cant seem to access Telnet on my RBK352.

Message 5 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for doing the experiment.  s**t.

Would this Orbi system be under 90 days old?  I would love to hear what Netgear support says about this.

It is true that the original Orbi had an option to enable telnet until firmware V2.7.3.22 removed it.  The AX models have never had a telnet option.  There is a Python script that will enable telnet on the original Orbi even with the latest firmware.  No one has mentioned getting the script to work with any of the AX models.

Really sophisticated users have discovered that it is possible to 'hack' the Orbi web interface by manipulating the web page. They open the page with Chrome or Edge, right click to "view page source", then click on the line they want to change and "inspect element".  It might be possible to change that box from whatever mode it is in to an editable mode.

In the broader scheme of things, responding to ping is not the worst thing in the world.

Message 6 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

If it were not so frustrating, this could be fun!

I brought up the WAN Setup page on my old Orbi, put the cursor on the Respond to Ping line, right clicked to "Inspect Element"

enabled.JPG

I then highlightedd the word 'disabled' and changed it to 'enabled' (see above). That changed the check box to solid instead of grey and I was able to check or uncheck it. I did not click on "Apply" (would be suicide to nertz my Orbi right now)

Maybe you could see if your Orbi has a similar web page?

Message 7 of 10
satelly
Aspirant

Thanks again CrimpOn. Thats excellent. I may try calling Netgear as I should be in the 90day window. Otherwise I will look at that option. I normally use Shields Up! to see if there are vulnerabilities which showed up the ping issue.

Message 8 of 10
satelly
Aspirant

Wanted to give a big thanks to CrimpOn for solving this problem. Followed through with his instructions to enable the option to turn off the Respond to Ping. Then rebooted the Orbi and confirmed that it was still off with the Open VPN on. Did a check with ShieldsUp! which passed whereas previously it had failed.

Interestingly, the option is again inaccessible and when I inspect, it has changed back to disabled. However it has stayed unchecked.

It does make you wonder about the security of the system where it can be so easily changed within a web browser.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7