Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK353 - satelite keeps dropping wifi connection

Koma07
Aspirant

RBK353 - satelite keeps dropping wifi connection

Hi 

I've been trying to resolve this issue for the last few months but to no avail. So trying my luck here.

I have the Orbi RBK 353 setup (1 router + 2 satellites; firmware:V4.4.1.29_3.10.80) linked to a router by my Swiss ISP (Sunrise Connect Box 3). The ISP router is in router modus (with Wifi turned off) and the Orbi network is setup in AP mode. I'm currently only using 1 satellite because the area I'm looking to cover isn't that big but the problem persists even when I switch the satellites. 

The Orbi router has excellent connection to the internet at all times which I know since I have my PC connected via LAN but also when I work with my laptop in close proximity to the Orbi Router, the connection has excellent speed and will not drop. 

However, the satelite will randomly lose its connection at least once every hour. Sometimes more often. It will start pulsing white, then after a while beocmes solid blue and then the led will turn off. I have tried placing the satellite closer or further away from the router but it doesn't seem to make a difference. We just moved to a new apartment and I had the exact same issue in the last apartment. 

Any guidance or ideas how to solve this would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Koma07
Aspirant

Hi @FURRYe38  - thanks for taking a look at my problem. I think in the meantime I figured out what the issue was and it had to do with what you highlighted in your feedback as well: "...depending upon building materials...".

I had initially setup the satellite(s) in different locations following the "more than 30 feet from the RBK" rule. However, in both cases the RBK was placed in my home office which was next to the bathroom. So when I used an app to check the wifi connectivity of the router in various places of the appartment, it became clear that the different pipes in the bathroom seemed to signficantly impact the connectivity as the speed would drop from 300-400 Mbit/s to 10-25Mbit/s in any rooms which are behind the bathroom (i.e. essentially the majority of our apartment).

I've since started using both satellites and placed them in a way that allows them to work better around the bathroom and the wifi speed has significantly improved in all the remaining rooms and the satellites have been running without dropping their connection to the RBK for more than a week. 

Coincidentally, my last apartment had a very similar and narrow layout where my home office and the rest of the apartment were pretty much separated by the main bathroom which must have resulted in a similar outcome. At least in the new apartment, it was much easier to find good placements for the satellites to work around that issue.

Thanks again for the input.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@Koma07 wrote:

However, the satelite will randomly lose its connection at least once every hour. Sometimes more often. It will start pulsing white, then after a while beocmes solid blue and then the led will turn off.

According to the User Manual, page 11, this is how the satellite LED is supposed to behave:

CrimpOn_0-1691250906709.png

Could the electric plug be loose, causing the satellite to reboot?

Does the Orbi web interface or the Orbi app show devices connected to the satellite?

Message 2 of 6
Koma07
Aspirant

Thanks for taking a look, CrimpOn.

Correct. That‘s how the satellite should behave when it‘s initially connected to the router. But can‘t imagine it‘s supposed to be rebooting randomly throughout the day (hence the pulsing white LED)?

I‘ve switched satellites, chargers and electric plugs so I don’t think it’s related to the electricity. My guess is it‘s must be something between the router and the satellite.
Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR📡 and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

Message 4 of 6
Koma07
Aspirant

Hi @FURRYe38  - thanks for taking a look at my problem. I think in the meantime I figured out what the issue was and it had to do with what you highlighted in your feedback as well: "...depending upon building materials...".

I had initially setup the satellite(s) in different locations following the "more than 30 feet from the RBK" rule. However, in both cases the RBK was placed in my home office which was next to the bathroom. So when I used an app to check the wifi connectivity of the router in various places of the appartment, it became clear that the different pipes in the bathroom seemed to signficantly impact the connectivity as the speed would drop from 300-400 Mbit/s to 10-25Mbit/s in any rooms which are behind the bathroom (i.e. essentially the majority of our apartment).

I've since started using both satellites and placed them in a way that allows them to work better around the bathroom and the wifi speed has significantly improved in all the remaining rooms and the satellites have been running without dropping their connection to the RBK for more than a week. 

Coincidentally, my last apartment had a very similar and narrow layout where my home office and the rest of the apartment were pretty much separated by the main bathroom which must have resulted in a similar outcome. At least in the new apartment, it was much easier to find good placements for the satellites to work around that issue.

Thanks again for the input.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Looks like you figured it out. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7