Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK750 no way to disable SSID broadcast. Option was removed from latest firmware update.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

RBK750 no way to disable SSID broadcast. Option was removed from latest firmware update.

RBK750 no way to disable SSID broadcast.

After a few days on the phone with several tech-support agents, it was finally determined that this option was removed from the latest firmware. There is absolutely no way to disable SSID broadcast now. I am extremely disappointed as I bought the system to specifically to disable SSID broadcasting. Well some people believe it’s not a good thing, I have used this feature for years and according to my logs,  have not even had anyone tried entry to the network.

please bring it back.

Message 1 of 6
Mikey94025
Hero

Re: RBK750 no way to disable SSID broadcast. Option was removed from latest firmware update.

@Retired_Member wrote:

I have used this feature for years and according to my logs,  have not even had anyone tried entry to the network.

It is likely that your use of proper Wi-Fi security protocols, like WPA2, is what is protecting your home wireless network, not that your SSID was hidden.  If want to test this theory, set your network to Open and see how long it takes to get used...

Security by obscurity is not security at all, and hiding your SSID offers vanishingly little protection from attackers.  MAC address filtering is another useless security measure.  Offering the Disabling SSID feature can lead too many uninformed customers to believe that they are secure, which they are not, so they then neglect to use WPA2, etc.  Better to point customers at proper security controls.

Message 2 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK750 no way to disable SSID broadcast. Option was removed from latest firmware update.

Orbi AX systems have never been able to disable any SSID broadcast since they first came out. Only the Orbi AC models were able to do that and not sure if they even support that any more. 

@Retired_Member wrote:

RBK750 no way to disable SSID broadcast.

After a few days on the phone with several tech-support agents, it was finally determined that this option was removed from the latest firmware. There is absolutely no way to disable SSID broadcast now. I am extremely disappointed as I bought the system to specifically to disable SSID broadcasting. Well some people believe it’s not a good thing, I have used this feature for years and according to my logs,  have not even had anyone tried entry to the network.

please bring it back.

Message 3 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Well they lied to me because I called before I bought the system and they specifically said that it did so I guess is that what I’m expected to see with further tech-support thank you for your reply appreciate it. 

I have a issue I have a slow iOS devices such as my iPad and phone anyone know about that

Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

How are you testing with the devices? Be sure they are connected to the RBR before doing any speed tests. Turn OFF the wifi radio on the devices for 5 seconds then back ON while near the RBR. Then speed test. 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

What are your current CTS values Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try enabling SIP ALG on the RBR. Under Advanced Tab/Setup/WAN Setup

Message 5 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thank you I will try all those.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7