Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK752 Satellite in access point mode.

mtbor
Guide

RBK752 Satellite in access point mode.

I recently put my orbi system behind my pfsense router for better QoS and bufferbloat mitigation. The orbi system hates not being in charge and seems to lack flexibility in it's configuration. In order to get it to play nice and accept DHCP leases from the pfsense router, I had to put it in access point mode. When I put it in access point mode, the satellite loses its connection and will not reconnect. It seems as though if the orbi router cannot hand a DHCP lease to the satellite itself, it's not getting a DHCP lease, and it's not connecting.

Sure would be nice if the orbi system had a robust featureset, such as a DHCP forwarding mode.
Message 1 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBK752 Satellite in access point mode.

There is almost certainly a problem, but it is not DHCP handling.

• The Orbi router always accepts a DHCP lease from an upstream router (ISP, pfSense, whatever).
    When in router mode, the Orbi router assigns the IP it gained from DHCP to the WAN port and then creates a LAN IP subnet that does not conflict with the IP that it received.  It then uses DHCP to assign IPs to devices on the LAN subnet.  Devices on the LAN are 'hidden' behind Network Address Translation (NAT) and cannot be addressed directly from upstream.
  • When in Access Point (AP) mode, the router simply passed DHCP requests and assignments through.  It makes a DHCP request to get an IP for itself which is assigned to the WAN port and its own LAN port.  It is up to every device on the LAN to make DHCP requests and whatever assignments are made by the upstream router are returned through the Orbi to the devices.

How is the satellite connected to the Orbi router? (WiFi backhaul or 'wired'?)

Message 2 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

I would agree as well, there is problem in DHCP. Most likely on the host router. I don't have this particular brand of router however have tested NG routers, CAX80, R and RAX series and with my Orbi systems in AP mode, all RBS get connected and get a DHCP IP address from the host router. There is not DCHP forwarding needed on Orbi systems in AP mode. 

I also prefer to use a static IP address on the RBR while in AP mode that is outside of the host routers default DHCP IP address pool. So when i have my 750 series online, the RBR is set for 192.168.1.75. My one RBS750, wired or wireless gets connected with a Dynamic IP address from the host router that's being used at the time. 

Message 3 of 11
mtbor
Guide

I'm using wireless backhaul.
Message 4 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@mtbor wrote:
I'm using wireless backhaul.

Thanks.  We see all sorts of posts where users have connected both router and satellites to the same switch.

Since satellites are easy to move around, can you try:

• Deleting the satellite from the Attached Devices display.
    (If it is truly not connected, then an option should appear to Delete it.
  • Temporarily relocate the satellite to the same room as the router.
  • On the Orbi web interface, main menu, select Add Orbi Satellite and follow the directions.
  • If the satellite connects, then try moving it to the desired location.

Although not strictly required, many users prefer to reserve a specific IP address for the router and satellites in the primary router DHCP tables.

https://forums.serverbuilds.net/t/guide-static-ip-addresses-in-pfsense-static-dhcp/5779 

Message 5 of 11
mtbor
Guide

I will give this a try when I get home. The satellite is currently sitting 5 feet from the router and was connected before putting it into access point mode. I've reset the orbi twice and got the satellite connected, only to have it drop out when put into access point mode.

I will try again.
Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Wondering if something on your host router is blocking RBS traffic. 

How are you configuring the RBR for AP mode? Dynamic or Static? I recommend a static IP address configuration on the RBR that's out side of the host routers default IP address pool range. So when i have my 750 series online, the RBR is set for 192.168.1.75. My one RBS750, wired or wireless gets connected with a Dynamic IP address from the host router that's being used at the time.

While is same room with the RBR and RBS, 10-15 feet would be recommended distance between them.

Message 7 of 11
mtbor
Guide

This is probably my fault. Most advanced routing devices don't specifically require the use of the internet port on the router, it seems ORBI does. I set both the router and satellite as static in the pfsense DHCP table. I didn't seem to get a change, so I then plugged the cable into the internet port and hit sync on both devices...

The Orbi router lit up magenta thinking it has no internet connection, yet the internet is fine. The satellite lit up blue indicating a good link.

The router is no longer accessible via web interface or through the Orbi app.

I remain disappointed overall in the lack of flexibility, but I am happy the system is functioning.

Hopefully this set up doesn't negatively impact devices on the network from communicating with one another.
Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Something on your host router is blocking something then. When the RBR is in AP mode, it's web page will be accessible from the IP address you set up for a static IP address or the one given to the RBR if you set Dynamic mode on the RBR. Been like this since the begining and I've never had any problems accessing the RBRs web page using a web browser or Orbi app in AP mode. 

What do you mean by internet port? Mean connecting to the RBRs yellow port from the host router? https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point

Message 9 of 11
mtbor
Guide

It is the yellow port that I'm speaking of.

The issue with the web login was temporary, it's decided to work.
Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Kewl. Yes, thats the only port you need between the host router and the RBR in AP mode. All the other LAN ports can be used for other ethernet connected devices along with a ethernet connected RBS. 

Sounds like its finally working. 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7