Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK753S Router Configuration Settings

JoshHen
Guide

RBK753S Router Configuration Settings

Hello Community,

I need help with the following settings on a new RBK753S.

Where do you set the DHCP lease time?
How do you change the admin username?
How do you disable SSID Broadcast on a specific channel? I need this capability for IOT devices?

Thanks for your help!

Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Admin in the default name and log in for Orbi systems. Can't be changed to something different.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 15

All Replies
ekhalil
Master

@JoshHen wrote:

There is no parameter for this. You need to use command line to set the wan_lease. The default WAN lease time is 1 hour.

root@RBR850:/# nvram get wan_lease

@JoshHen wrote:

How do you change the admin username?

Use the web GUI >> ADVANCED >> Administration >> Set Password

@JoshHen wrote:

How do you disable SSID Broadcast on a specific channel? I need this capability for IOT devices?

Unfortunately this is not possible in Orbi AX. This funtionality was available in previous firmwares but was removed. The functionality is availble in the Orbi AC though.

Message 2 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

And you would enable Telnet where? 

@ekhalil wrote:

@JoshHen wrote:

There is no parameter for this. You need to use command line to set the wan_lease. The default WAN lease time is 1 hour.

root@RBR850:/# nvram get wan_lease

Message 3 of 15
JoshHen
Guide

ekhalil

Thank you for the speedy response.

I didn't see the option to change the admin username when I went through the webgui, only the password. Also, can I install a old version of the firmware?

Message 4 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Admin in the default name and log in for Orbi systems. Can't be changed to something different.

Message 5 of 15
ekhalil
Master

@JoshHen wrote:

I didn't see the option to change the admin username when I went through the webgui, only the password. .....

yes, admin is the default user name. Can only be changed using command line access, which -unfortunately- was removed in recent firmware update. I still have command line access since I never did factory reset since the time this was removed in the firmware. 😄

root@RBR850:/# nvram get nvram show | grep admin

http_username=admin

@JoshHen wrote:
.... Also, can I install a old version of the firmware?

Yes you can. Go to the download page https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK753S.aspx#download and choose the firmware that you want. I'm not sure which firmware removed the SSID broadcast disable possibility though.

Message 6 of 15
JoshHen
Guide

Thank you ekhalil,

I installed the oldest firmware from the link you provided but once the router and 2 satelites completed the updates there was not option to disable ssid broadcast. I do see the Enable Telnet option which i didn't see when I was running a newer version of the firmware (I used http://ipadress/debug.htm). Also, in general, the gui on the RBK753S lacks a number of advanced config options I was able to use with the RBR50. The more I use it, the more I notice.

Thanks again for the info on changing the default admin username.

Message 7 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Items like Beamforming, MIMO, FastRoaming, Daisy Chain are automatic now on Orbi AX thus why it's not a menu item like on Orbi AC models.

Orbi AX has never had options to disable either SSID broadcast. We have asked about that however have not seen any changes since Orbi AX came to market. Probably won't. 

Message 8 of 15
JoshHen
Guide

Thanks Furrye38.

What about enabling/disabling the ability for guests to see other devices on the network? I don't see that option. It would be nice to have a secondary advanced option where you can change settings to your liking.

Message 9 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya not seen on Orbi AX. I would contact NG support and ask about this to see if this is something by design on Orbi AX. Others have posted that Guest Network allows access to LAN side resource when we believe it shouldn't be. 

Message 10 of 15
JoshHen
Guide

Thank you FURRYe38,

I've had this router for a few days and I like it but I need more adanced settings in advanced settings. I think I'm going to return it and stick with my old router. If Netgear allows more advanced settings in the future I'll revisit.

Message 11 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, kinda doubtful NG will any any advanced settings. They seem to be tuning the UI and FW for more automatic operation, less user configurations. 

Good Luck. 

Message 12 of 15
JoshHen
Guide

Thanks FURRYe38,

Yeah, hopefully someone will come up with a custom frimware like they did with the RBR50.

Message 13 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

They'll need get an Orbi AX system to do any development. Not sure if Voxel will be getting on. He seems busy with his current projects. Smiley Embarassed

Message 14 of 15
richgustafson
Aspirant

At some point, if Netgear doesn't enable basic security capabilities like disabling guest access to the LAN and disabling SSID broadcast, they are going to lose customers.

I get they need to have the defaults set to enable ease of setup for the basic users, but not having typical security capabilities is just crazy.

I keep my kids on the Guest network specifically because then if they do something stupid, I only have 1 device to fix.

Looks like I am going to have to find a new equipment provider.  I have been an Orbi fan for some time, but I need to be able to make the changes that secure my household.

This is highly disappointing, given the proliferation of IOT devices and cyber attacks.  Makes it impossible for NG to stay competitive in the market...especially since they are a high cost provider.  To cut corners on security controls is nuts, IMO.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7