Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK753S partial wired connection

iddoav
Aspirant

RBK753S partial wired connection

I need to cover a pretty wide area with the mesh system and have a couple of questions

1. Wired vs wireless?

I looked at the available configurations of wire vs wireless here:

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

However, I'm interested in connected one mesh point wirelessly and then connect a different mesh point to it over a wire. 

Attached a picture to the question. 

Is that supported?

2. How many mesh points does the system support? (does that include the outdoor  https://www.netgear.com/orbi/rbs50y.aspx)

3. can you use the router as a "regular" mesh point to connect a few systems together?

Thank you!

Message 1 of 5
Chuck_M
Mentor

Re: RBK753S partial wired connection

Yes, that works just fine.  In older terminology, that is a daisy chain configuration.

The first satellite will need to be within the RF footprint of the router.  How far will you wire the second satellite from the first?

How far will the first satellite be from the router?

Not sure about what you mean by the last question.  The router can connect multiple satellites -- but not additional routers (in router mode that is)

Message 2 of 5
iddoav
Aspirant

dsThank you! 

Super helpful. 

Yes, that works just fine.  In older terminology, that is a daisy chain configuration.

Perfect Thank you!

The first satellite will need to be within the RF footprint of the router.  How far will you wire the second satellite from the first?

Around 50ft

ON a second floor more or less the same connection

Not sure about what you mean by the last question.  The router can connect multiple satellites -- but not additional routers (in router mode that is)

By the last question I mean: My current mesh system required 8 mesh points. I assume the new one will require more than 2 mesh points (i.e. sattelite) as well. I am looking at: https://www.netgear.com/orbi/rbk753.aspx. I don't know if you can even buy a mesh point by itself, I *think* I need to buy a new system with a router and 2 mesh points. It sounds like from you answer like a router can operate like as mesh point (sattelite mode?). 

If so - how many sattelites can a single router support?

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 4 of 5
Chuck_M
Mentor

@iddoav wrote:

dsThank you! 

Super helpful. 

Perfect Thank you!

Around 50ft

ON a second floor more or less the same connection

By the last question I mean: My current mesh system required 8 mesh points. I assume the new one will require more than 2 mesh points (i.e. sattelite) as well. I am looking at: https://www.netgear.com/orbi/rbk753.aspx. I don't know if you can even buy a mesh point by itself, I *think* I need to buy a new system with a router and 2 mesh points. It sounds like from you answer like a router can operate like as mesh point (sattelite mode?). 

If so - how many sattelites can a single router support?

I think you need to set up a system with a router and satellite or two and then make an assessment of if you have any gaps.  The AX6000 components are very strong and carry a long way -- probably a lot further than you would suspect.  No point in over engineering a network.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7