Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK852 Roaming

jmcvey90
Tutor

RBK852 Roaming

I'm noticing that certain clients hang on to a weaker signal instead of handing off when the client is moved. For example, I have the router upstairs and a satellite downstairs. My laptop will be associated with the satellite while downstairs, but if I bring my laptop upstairs, it does not handoff back to the router upstairs. It hangs onto the downstairs satellite with a much weaker link rate. Toggling wifi seems to get it to pick the stronger signal but this is not ideal.

Is there a way to tweak how roaming between the router and satellite is handled?

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK852 Roaming

It's up to devices to pick and choose which single there connected too. Even though the signal maybe low, they may hold on to that single until the devices is either rebooted or the wifi adapter is turned off for 5 seconds then back on then it would pick up the stronger signal. 

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Message 2 of 4
jmcvey90
Tutor

Hmm, I thought I had enough distance between them (especially since they're on different levels) but I'll try to space the satellite a bit further away and see how that works out.

Thanks for your help!

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

The distance can be farther than 30 feet as well. Kind of depends on your building layout. 

Good Luck. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7