Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK853 With Ethernet Backhaul Satellites Drop Out

ElCapo
Luminary

RBK853 With Ethernet Backhaul Satellites Drop Out

Hello

I have just replaced my RBK53 with RBK853 and am having issues with my satellites.

My setup is as follows:

Router connected to VirginMedia for Internet

2x Satellites directly connected to Router via Ethernet cable (no switches in between, but there are some switches then onward connected to the ORBI devices

All devices running V4.6.3.16_2.0.51

When it first boots up it all appears connected, the satellites show as wired connections to the router and everything looks and seems to work OK. 

Then, at apparently random times, devices will drop from the network (usually the satellites it would seem and lose internet connetivity.  The rest of the house will remain OK.  Ethernet connected devices will remain OK.  Those devices connected wirelessly to the main router appear OK.

On some occassions I will log onto the satellites and see no devices connected to one or other of them.  Which in a house with multiple wireless devices (circa 20-30 at any one time) that appears to be very improbable.

When searching on forums it seems "similar" things to this have happened to other people although I have never really been clear on what has resolved it for them. i.e. different solutions appear for some of them, like disabling AX, running new cables etc..

Any thoughts or advice would be welcome.  This is so frustrating having spent a lot of money on the kit I expected it to be an immediate improvement on my RBK53 set up, not a step backwards.

Message 1 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK853 With Ethernet Backhaul Satellites Drop Out

Was the RBS first wirelessly synced to the RBR first? 

What is the CAT# cable being used? CAT6 is recommended. 

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Message 2 of 42
ElCapo
Luminary

Hi

On the first question, I actually added them as wireless first accidently.  My intention was to do it through Ethernet at the start, however, i realised after I set up that one end was unplugged!!!  So I connected via ethernet after initial set up.

The cat cable is CAT6.

Distance is a little hard to measure as the crow flies, but I would say as staight line they are just under 30ft, obviously with walls, stairs etc in the way 🙂

Thanks

Andy

Message 3 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible distance could be a factor, I would try moving the RBS out a bit farther if possible, or turn down the power output on the RBR from 100% to 50% and see if anything appears on th RBS.

Message 4 of 42
ElCapo
Luminary

Hi

Just thought i would respond back in here with a few follow on questions.  I am making some progress in sorting this and will come back with findings shortly.

However, one thing i have tried is a complete factory reset of my RBR850.  After going through the rebuild process (without any satellites added at this stage, I will do that one by one later)... I completed the build and straight away the RBR850 stated it had a satellite offline called "Lounge" and also within attached devices it had 94 devices "offline".  How can it remember this if I have factory reset the ORBI?  Where is it getting this information from?

Cheers

Andy

Message 5 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

How did you reset the RBR? Button press for 15 seconds then release or the ERASE fuction under Admin/Backup? 

Were you using the Orbi app or RBRs web page for the set up? 

Did you have the RBS Turned OFF or fully unplugged when you reset and setup the RBR? 

No lingering data should be seen on the RBRs web page after a reset.  

Message 6 of 42
ElCapo
Luminary

Hi Flurry

Some answers below:

How did you reset the RBR? Button press for 15 seconds then release or the ERASE fuction under Admin/Backup? 

i used the reset button on the back until it flashed orange.  I admit, i did not do it for 15 seconds... probably more like 5-10.

Orbi App

Did you have the RBS Turned OFF or fully unplugged when you reset and setup the RBR? 

Fully unplugged

Message 7 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

@ElCapo wrote:

Hi Flurry

There are some days it seems to be a flurry. Smiley Wink

Some answers below:

i used the reset button on the back until it flashed orange.  I admit, i did not do it for 15 seconds... probably more like 5-10.

I find using the ERASE function works best. 15 seconds though on the button press. 

Orbi App

I recommned using the RBRs web page with a PC or laptop to setup from scratch. Possible lingering items could be seen in Orbi app. 

Fully unplugged

Message 8 of 42
ElCapo
Luminary

Hi Furry 🙂  Not sure what was going on there 🙂  Funny thing is.. i have always read it Flurry for all the years you have been helping me out!

I have not seen the ERASE function.  I had a quick check and can see that.  How would you apply the same to a Satellite?  Or can you only use the reset button on them?  Also, if i wait for 15 seconds, am i expecting any different reaction from the device other than the flashing yellow light?  to let me know it has happened.

I am continuing with testing of the network, adding devices bit by bit... at the moment sticking without satellites... I want to see if the dropping issue occurs when just the RBR is connected.

Thanks as ever for your support

Message 9 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya the forums and such can be a flurry for sure. LOL

Erase is only on the RBR. I wish they had it on the RBS. Smiley Frustrated 15 sec press on the RBS for them. 

Great troubleshooting process, test with out the RBS. Let us know is same thing happens.

Something to concider upgrading FW at some point if you still have problems:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBK852-4-6-3-16-broken-Solved/m-p/2174967/highlight/true#...

I used this for a full 12 days with no issues. 

Message 10 of 42
ElCapo
Luminary

Hi

Time to report back with some findings.  I have to say i am extremely frustrated and borderline ready to bail and try another router type.

So, my initial test was to run with just a router which appeared to be relatively stable, albeit parts of the house had dodgy signal and did appear to drop connection, as you would expect at the edge of a signal.  I cant be 100% sure that this was not the same problem as below, but given all devices close operated OK, I dont this this was a reoccurence of the problem.

I then added a satellite with a wireless backhaul connection to the router.  This raises my first key question here.  To add a satellite, I dont seem to need to go through the online webpage of "adding a satellite".  Once i powered the satellite up, the router just see's it and syncs it up.  (is this working as expected, or should I be following the add satellite process?)  This set up appeared to run quite stable and we did not notice any drops in connection.  I only ran the test for 12 hours or so, but usually we would see the issue in this timeframe.

This morning i then connected the same sateliite with an ethernet cable to make ethernet backhaul.  Immediately we saw the satellite have syncing issues.  If i kept on refreshing the ORBI web portal on my laptop, i would randomly see the "out of sync" on the backhaul status section, and it fluctuated from Good to out of sync.  Devices would connect and then drop.  Yet if i moved within range of the main router, the connection would be stable and have no issues.  I tried this with two different ethernet cables connecting the two ORBIs and found the same experience.  (I should note during this phase of testing I had removed ALL connected switches on my network, meaning no phyiscal devices were connected.  In addition I had turned off the vast majority of wireless devices in the house)

Next I tried a fresh reboot of both the router and satellite, keeping the Ethernet connected.  In this instance I brought the Router fully up and running before powering up the satellite.  Once it all connected it appeared to be far more stable, running for a few hours without issues rather than the few minutes we had previously.  However, albeit far less regularly, eventually the issue resurrected and devices dropped from the satellite and struggled to re-connect.

I decided to go for one more brand new build.  Factoring resetting everything, i built the router from scratch with no satellites, and then connected the satellite using the Ethernet cable from the start (incidentally I changed the satellite to the second one I have that has been powered off to date, just to rule out a hardware issue on the first satellite).  Again, i appeared to be stable for several hours and then this evening, 3 or 4 devices started to drop connection in the same way as previously and struggled to re-connect for a few minutes.  When looking at the browser i was unable to see the "out of sync" message on the backhaul, but i did see the devices connecting predominantly to the router rather than the satellite during the troublesome phase.

However, ten minutes later or so, things settled down and were stable again.  (as they are now as i write this message).

So, i really am at a loss here as to what the problem is and what to try next.  

(there is one other point I want to note in case it rings a bell with someone, but my wireless connections on my iphones "sometimes" show a Privacy Warning and a message about encrypted DNS.  Then, the same device will not show that message without me having made any changes.  Probably irrelevant, but it is something else I have noticed).

Anyway, sorry for the long message, any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

Message 11 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

@ElCapo wrote:

Hi

Time to report back with some findings.  I have to say i am extremely frustrated and borderline ready to bail and try another router type.

So, my initial test was to run with just a router which appeared to be relatively stable, albeit parts of the house had dodgy signal and did appear to drop connection, as you would expect at the edge of a signal.  I cant be 100% sure that this was not the same problem as below, but given all devices close operated OK, I dont this this was a reoccurence of the problem.

So the RBR alone is good up to this point. 

I then added a satellite with a wireless backhaul connection to the router.  This raises my first key question here.  To add a satellite, I dont seem to need to go through the online webpage of "adding a satellite".  Once i powered the satellite up, the router just see's it and syncs it up.  (is this working as expected, or should I be following the add satellite process?)  This set up appeared to run quite stable and we did not notice any drops in connection.  I only ran the test for 12 hours or so, but usually we would see the issue in this timeframe.

So the RBR and 1 RBS is good up to this point.

This morning i then connected the same sateliite with an ethernet cable to make ethernet backhaul.  Immediately we saw the satellite have syncing issues.  If i kept on refreshing the ORBI web portal on my laptop, i would randomly see the "out of sync" on the backhaul status section, and it fluctuated from Good to out of sync.  Devices would connect and then drop.  Yet if i moved within range of the main router, the connection would be stable and have no issues.  I tried this with two different ethernet cables connecting the two ORBIs and found the same experience.  (I should note during this phase of testing I had removed ALL connected switches on my network, meaning no phyiscal devices were connected.  In addition I had turned off the vast majority of wireless devices in the house)

The ethernet connection problems would indicate the following: Bad cable, RBS not directly connected to the back of the RBR. A LAN switch in between the RBR and RBS causing problems. Possible faulty RBS LAN ports, Swap LAN ports on the RBS. Possible bad RBS... 

Next I tried a fresh reboot of both the router and satellite, keeping the Ethernet connected.  In this instance I brought the Router fully up and running before powering up the satellite.  Once it all connected it appeared to be far more stable, running for a few hours without issues rather than the few minutes we had previously.  However, albeit far less regularly, eventually the issue resurrected and devices dropped from the satellite and struggled to re-connect.

I decided to go for one more brand new build.  Factoring resetting everything, i built the router from scratch with no satellites, and then connected the satellite using the Ethernet cable from the start (incidentally I changed the satellite to the second one I have that has been powered off to date, just to rule out a hardware issue on the first satellite).  Again, i appeared to be stable for several hours and then this evening, 3 or 4 devices started to drop connection in the same way as previously and struggled to re-connect for a few minutes.  When looking at the browser i was unable to see the "out of sync" message on the backhaul, but i did see the devices connecting predominantly to the router rather than the satellite during the troublesome phase.

I'd troubleshoot the ethernet connected RBS, Try swapping LAN cables (CAT6 recommended), LAN ports and remove any LAN switches if possible. Seen odd things with LAN switches. 

What brand and model Switches are you using if you have one? 

There any LAN patch panels or wall jacks in use? 

I just ran my two RBS ethernet connected to the RBR thru a few lan switches for 12 days, and no issues. I don't think this is a FW issue.

However, ten minutes later or so, things settled down and were stable again.  (as they are now as i write this message).

So, i really am at a loss here as to what the problem is and what to try next.  

(there is one other point I want to note in case it rings a bell with someone, but my wireless connections on my iphones "sometimes" show a Privacy Warning and a message about encrypted DNS.  Then, the same device will not show that message without me having made any changes.  Probably irrelevant, but it is something else I have noticed).

Apple has introduced a Private Address feature in new iOS. Something that mostly enabled by default on there devices. When this feature is disabled, this will how a Privacy Warning on the device. Something to be not too worried about as this only changes the MAC address to something different when it's enabled. Something thats not needed while at home however you might enable it while traveling. 

Message 12 of 42
ElCapo
Luminary

Hi Furry, thanks for response.

I did try it with two different cables and two different satellite boxes.  So i dont think it can be considered a phyisical problem.

Also, i have no LAN switces "in between", they are direct cables, however, once everyting is connected I have switches connected to other ports on my Router / Satellite(s) that extend around the house.  

As mentioned above, i have seen this issue with pretty much everything turned off in my house, no switches, no sky, no sonos etc...

I am going to try a pure wireless connection for a while and see what happens.

Do you think it is worth me trying this new firmware?  When reading the links to the other forums, many of their issues appear similar to mine.

Message 13 of 42
ElCapo
Luminary

Just thought I would put in a quick update following todays test and also the recent finding.. which may or may not be relevant.

I decided to upgrade to V4.6.6.11_2.1.4T1 and also performed a complete rebuild of the set-up with factory resets etc..

i decided to go with Ethernet connections with the new firmware first.

I have built with both satellites live at the same time.

I noticed that as the satelittes first started to sync up they portrayed the following message when logging directly onto the Satellite portal screen:

"Move your Orbi Satellite closer to your Orbi network to improve connection."  Given this is an Ethernet connection, this is a really strange message to get.

After a few moments, this changed to the better message which is:

"Your WIFI Orbi Satellite connection is up and running "

This remained up and good for approx 6 hours and I had no issues and I checked the satellites regularly to see if the message was the same (it was).  Then, randomly I noticed my laptop had dropped connection to the satellite and was connected back onto the router instead with a slightly weaker connection.  I immediately logged into satellite portal, and sure enough the message had changed back to:

"Move your Orbi Satellite closer to your Orbi network to improve connection." 

Then, literally as I sit here now and type this message, I noticed my signal on the laptop drop completely.  My phone drops and swtiches to 4G and the satellite wifi is effectively gone.  Wait a few moments and it is back and running again, however the satellites now both record that need to move closer to my network!  which as I say, makes no sense.

Firmware does not fix the issue is the bottom line here.

Message 14 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

@ElCapo wrote:

Just thought I would put in a quick update following todays test and also the recent finding.. which may or may not be relevant.

I decided to upgrade to V4.6.6.11_2.1.4T1 and also performed a complete rebuild of the set-up with factory resets etc..

i decided to go with Ethernet connections with the new firmware first.

It's recommended when setting up the RBS to the RBR, wirelessly synce them to the RBR first to ensure they sync fully. 

I have built with both satellites live at the same time.

Never do this. Sync RBS one at a time. 

I noticed that as the satelittes first started to sync up they portrayed the following message when logging directly onto the Satellite portal screen:

"Move your Orbi Satellite closer to your Orbi network to improve connection."  Given this is an Ethernet connection, this is a really strange message to get.

After a few moments, this changed to the better message which is:

"Your WIFI Orbi Satellite connection is up and running "

This remained up and good for approx 6 hours and I had no issues and I checked the satellites regularly to see if the message was the same (it was).  Then, randomly I noticed my laptop had dropped connection to the satellite and was connected back onto the router instead with a slightly weaker connection.  I immediately logged into satellite portal, and sure enough the message had changed back to:

"Move your Orbi Satellite closer to your Orbi network to improve connection." 

Then, literally as I sit here now and type this message, I noticed my signal on the laptop drop completely.  My phone drops and swtiches to 4G and the satellite wifi is effectively gone.  Wait a few moments and it is back and running again, however the satellites now both record that need to move closer to my network!  which as I say, makes no sense. This is telling you that the RBS are can't connect via ethernet and are auto changing to wireless and are too far apart to get a wireless connection to the RBR. 

Firmware does not fix the issue is the bottom line here. This would indicate a physical problem. LAN cable or switch or possible bad RBS. Since using last v4 FW version I had my RBS ethernet connected for 12 days with no issues. So I don't feel this issue your seeing is FW related.

When you have the LAN switches online, are the RBS connected to them at all? 

What brand and model are these LAN switches? 

Message 15 of 42
ElCapo
Luminary

Hi Furry

I just dont see how that is the issue.  I know it would indicate that the devices have dropped ethernet backhaul, but there is nothing to suggest on any portal that this is the case.  For example:

- the main portal continues to display "Wired" as connection type

- secondly, on each of the two satellite portals the two connection "signals" in the diagram between the Router and the Satellite are greyed out.  When you connnect wirelessly the 5Ghz is showing as blue coloured.

Over the past couple of weeks I have tried setting up direct to ethernet, and in wireless mode first then convert to ethernet.  The outcome is the same.

When i said that i did both satellites at the same time, i just meant i tested with them both (as opposed to just one).  When i went through the actual process of onboarding them, I did them individually.

So, coming to the final point in your mail.  You may well be right and perhaps this has nothing to do with the firmware (although I have seen other comments from people with ethernet connected issues).  However, if we look at my LAN Switch situation it is as follows.  Whenever I test Ethernet Backhaul I have direct ethernet cables from from the RBR to the RBS's.  From the main RBR router there is a connection to a switch, this switch then feeds several other switches (none of these touch the RBS though).  Then I have one switch that connects from one of my RBS LAN ports to feed sky box and tv in one room.

The switches are ALL netgear, and they are all 100/1000mbs however the models vary including:

GS308

GS308P

GS205

GS205-100UKS

GS208-100UKS

GS608

GS605

Those last two are particularly old, but that are all unmanaged switches.  Perhaps I should consider replacing some of the older ones.

I have now configured my set up without the Ethernet Backhaul (wireless only) and with NO LAN connections into either of the two RBS routers.

It has been OK so far.  But then my previous set up worked fine for about 6 hours.

Will report back findings.

Cheers

Andy

Message 16 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok Thanks for confirming the setup process and configuration. 

IM curious if you turned OFF 1 RBS and left one ON wireless then connected it wired to the RBR if the RBS would still exhibit this issue..

What CAT# cables are you using between the RBR and RBS? CAT6 is recommended. Good Quality. 

You have swapped out LAN cables to test as well?

So with no Switches in the mix at all, RBS still fail when ethernet directly connected to the RBR is the correct? 

I wanted to narrow down troubleshooting as far as possible before suggesting something you might check into:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/RBK-8-Series-Only-Unofficial-v4-6-6-...

Maybe worth trying...

Message 17 of 42
ElCapo
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Ok Thanks for confirming the setup process and configuration. 

IM curious if you turned OFF 1 RBS and left one ON wireless then connected it wired to the RBR if the RBS would still exhibit this issue..

That is a scenario I have tested and encountered the issue.   I have done so much testing the last couple of weeks.

What CAT# cables are you using between the RBR and RBS? CAT6 is recommended. Good Quality. 

You have swapped out LAN cables to test as well?

I am using CAT6 cable, and yes i tested two different types.

So with no Switches in the mix at all, RBS still fail when ethernet directly connected to the RBR is the correct? 

It's so difficult to find the time to test in complete isolation as i have a family of people wanting internet.  However, for a period yesterday, I definitely tested a single RBR and single RBS set up with NOTHING else connected and we encountered the issue.

I wanted to narrow down troubleshooting as far as possible before suggesting something you might check into:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/RBK-8-Series-Only-Unofficial-v4-6-6-...

Maybe worth trying...

That is the software I installed this morning.

My main problem I have now is that I am back to work tomorrow.  So i need to go back to something reliable (ish) which is my old RBK50 setup.

Message 18 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

So after updating to v11 and factory reset set everything, the problem still happens? 

If so, I recommend you contact NG support and let them know about this. You may have faulty RBS that need to be replaced. Ask about RMA options.

Message 19 of 42
ElCapo
Luminary

Hi Furry, 

Yes, still continues to happen after new firmware and full ERASE / reset.

The other weird thing is that I tried it with both satelittes individually and both had the same problem. Can't believe both are faulty, unless the error is actually with the RBR.

I am still within warranty with the supplier, so I may try a straight forward replace with them as the first step.

Its a mystery.......

Message 20 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya I was thinking maybe the RBR could be at fault thinking about it. Just seemed that wireless the RBS worked but ethernet didn't.

If you have an opportunity to return and get another, i'd go that route for sure while you can. 

Message 21 of 42
ElCapo
Luminary

Yep, going to give that a go next.  Still within the time period to return so i will be no worse off.

Will report back in a few days 🙂

Message 22 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 23 of 42
ElCapo
Luminary

Hi Furry

I did have one further question for you if you dont mind.

Would yoube able to jot down the exact process you follow to reset the RBR/RBS.  In particular, the process to add a Satellite wirelessly and then convert to Ethernet Backhaul.

Since our discussions earlier in the chat, I have been using the ERASE button on the gui to restart the RBR, then holding the reset on the Satellites for 15-20 seconds.  No doubt following this process clearer resets the RBR better as it no longer "remembers" previously connected satellites.

However, when it comes to adding a satellite wirelessly, i dont know whether to do this as part of the initial set up phase or after the RBR is up and running.  Recently I have been skipping during the initial set up and adding subsequently.

The probem i find is that following the portal instructions when clicking "add satellite" never seems to work.  For starters the RBS NEVER goes to a "solid white" as it states it should in the instructions, then when i press the "sync" button on the RBS and click the sync on the portal this just whirs away for a few minutes then states it does not complete.

I find that the RBS eventually adds itself anyway, or with a reboot of the main router, it then picks it up OK.

Just wondered what your process is as I would like to do the set up in the exact same way that you do.

Thanks

Andy

Message 24 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

A 15 second press on the RBS then release should work. When they start to pulsate white, I would turn them OFF. 

Then use the ERASE on the RBR and set it up from scratch. 

Once it's fully set up, bring the RBS near or in same room as the RBR. Turn one RBS ON and when the front LED starts to pulsate white, Press the sync button on the RBS then on the RBR. 

The front LED should eventually turn BLUE. Give it time, say a good 5 minutes. While the RBS is syncing you can have the RBRs web page open on the connected devices page and refresh the page. The RBS should appear here and show GOOD 5G status. 

Once the RBS front LED turns OFF, you can turn it OFF and do same thing for next RBS. 

I recommend setting a IP address reservation for each RBS on the RBRs web page. Under Advanced tab/Setup/Lan Setup.

Once both RBS have been wirelessly synced, you can put them back in there remote locations. 

Power On and let them come to ready and should auto sync to the RBR. 
Once RBS front LED has turned BLUE, you can leave it or connect the RBS one at a time to a ethernet connection. 

Message 25 of 42
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 41 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7