Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK853 with separate wireless backhaul

cv123
Guide

RBK853 with separate wireless backhaul

I have the RBK853. My setup is RBR at front of the house to RBS#1 at the back of the house. RBS1 connects to  RBS2 in a detached workshop 100ft away. The internet has been working but the Orbi web interface shows poor signal from RBS1 to RBS2. Would a dedicated wireless bridge help?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK853 with separate wireless backhaul

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

@cv123 wrote:

It was pretty simple. I did have to sequentially reboot the satellites

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 13

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

100 feet is kind of a stretch. 

Might look into this:

https://www.netgear.com/business/products/wireless/wireless-airbridge/wbc502.aspx

Message 2 of 13
cv123
Guide

I saw that but its out of stock everwhere. I really wanted to know if the scenario I prooposed would work or will the orbi try to use the wifi?

Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

100 feet isn't to far if you can run a CAT6A lan cable out to that location. 

Message 4 of 13
plemans
Guru

@cv123 wrote:

I saw that but its out of stock everwhere. I really wanted to know if the scenario I prooposed would work or will the orbi try to use the wifi?

Like @FURRYe38 says, a hardwired connection would be best. But 100ft isn't that far for a point to point system. They make other versions than netgear that are cheaper and should cover that far. 

Message 5 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@cv123 wrote:

Yes, any number of customers have been successful using a WiFi bridge to extend Orbi systems to outbuildings.  Because each end of the link is an ethernet jack, the Orbi has no idea that it is not actually an ethernet cable.

I agree with @plemans that there are any number of brands that function as well as Netgear and are dramatically less costly (and possibly in stock!)  People report success with the Ubiquiti line of WiFi bridge products, such as NanoStation M5.

Search Amazon for "wifi point to point bridge".  There are a dozen under $100 for the entire link (from brands no one has ever heard of).  I would read the comments carefully.  I am really partial to TP-Link products.

The benefit of installing an ethernet cable is that it provides the highest possible connection rate (which may not be necessary). The drawback of ethernet cable is the installation process. Trenching, burying conduit, pulling cable, penetrating walls on both ends and connecting to the Orbi units, which may not be right next to the outside wall.

WiFi bridge units are rated in terms of kilometers and usually have ample power to penetrate the buildings on both ends of the link (unless there are metal walls, which kill WiFi signals).   Ubiquiti  even sells a window mount for their products: https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Nanostation-Window-Wall-Mount/dp/B004EBLR4Y/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3NGLEU8E... (I did not find a window mount from TP-Link.)

Message 6 of 13
cv123
Guide

I appreciate all the replies!

I went with this which I think will do the job. https://smile.amazon.com/EnGenius-Plug-n-Play-Long-Range-ENH500v3-KIT/dp/B083JRFQ24/ref=sr_1_2?crid=...

Message 7 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

Please report how things go (and any 'helpful hints' discovered).  This  topic comes up more often than one would imagine and your results will be useful to know.

Message 8 of 13
plemans
Guru

Seems like a solid choice in point to point systems. Should cover that range without any issues. Hope it works well and like @CrimpOn says, let us know how it goes!

Message 9 of 13
cv123
Guide

As a follow up. Everything worked great. The satellite on my shop shows wired connection to the 2nd satellite.

Message 10 of 13
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear its up and running well!

Any issues with setup or was it pretty simple? 

Message 11 of 13
cv123
Guide

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

@cv123 wrote:

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7