Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBKE960 - wired backhaul over 10Gbe port

jmduraes
Aspirant

RBKE960 - wired backhaul over 10Gbe port

Hello all,

I have an RBKE963 (960, 3 pieces) system, with one router (RBRE960) and two satellites (RBSE960). I have a 2Gbps fibre connection to the home.

The router is configured as an Access Point only, and connected to my main 2.5Gbe switch over its 10Gbe port. All works well here, and I get very close to the 2.5Gbps max (LAN test speed) and 2Gbps (Internet speedtest.net).

I have one of my satellites connected directly to my router, both over their 2.5Gbe ports. Wired ethernet backhaul works fine here. 

The other satellite is connected to my main switch (the same as the router) over its 2.5Gbe port. I cannot get wired ethernet backhaul to work on this one. Wireless backhaul (if I disconnect the ethernet cable) works fine.

My immediate reaction is that the router doesn't seem to send backhaul over its 10Gbe port, even though it is configured as an AP only. Would this be a correct assumption, or does anyone out there have a similar setup with wired backhaul working as above?

Thanks,

Joao

Message 1 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBKE960 - wired backhaul over 10Gbe port

@jmduraes wrote:

My immediate reaction is that the router doesn't seem to send backhaul over its 10Gbe port, even though it is configured as an AP only. Would this be a correct assumption, or does anyone out there have a similar setup with wired backhaul working as above?

You are correct.  Orbi routers expect satellites to appear on their LAN ports, not the Internet (WAN) port.  Mode (router vs. access point) is not significant.

Message 2 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 3 of 9
Mikey94025
Hero

@jmduraes wrote:

The other satellite is connected to my main switch (the same as the router) over its 2.5Gbe port. I cannot get wired ethernet backhaul to work on this one. Wireless backhaul (if I disconnect the ethernet cable) works fine.

What kind of switch is it?  Managed switches cause problems with wired backhaul, so we usually recommend certain unmanaged switches for the Orbi router+satellites connectivity.

Message 4 of 9
jmduraes
Aspirant

Thank you. It sounds like a missed opportunity to me, as this would give us 2x >1Gbe ports to play with.

I wonder if this would be something that Netgear could change with a software modification, and would consider it for such cases.

You see, I have my main switch some 20m away from the router on a different floor, so using that ethernet backhaul is a must for me. The other satellite (the one currently on the 2.5Gbe port) is behind two thick brick walls, so also needed.

This might force me to put a smaller 2.5Gbps switch next to the router just for backhauling (what a waste) and the perhaps introduce another variable: backhauling over daisy-chained switches, which may be another problem.

More testing to do.

Cheers.
Message 5 of 9
jmduraes
Aspirant

It's an unmanaged switch.
Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

The 10Gb port is only for the WAN side. Any changes to 10Gb would be a HW change. Still not a lot of users with 10Gb needs on the LAN side and that speed supporting hardware is still moderately expensive for Switches and ethernet adapter cards. Also to really take advantage of 10Gb, devices like PCs and laptops, NAS need fast CPUs and boards to deal with that much data at that speed. Why some 2.5Gb ethernet cards have large heat sinks on them. The faster the speed, that hotter things get. Many factors contribute to 10Gb speeds. 

Overall the 9 series works well for back haul on 2.5 and 1Gb. You just need to ensure that your using matching speed and supporting switches if you want 2.5Gb speeds across the board. CAT6 lan cable at minimum for interconnecting Orbi devices. 

Message 7 of 9
vonSparks
Aspirant

I have a similar configuration where the RBKE960 as a bridge to my LAN.  I purchased a TrendNet TEG-S350 2.5G hub.  I ran a connection from the Router's 10gig port to the HUB.  I then connected each of the 2.5G connections from each of the satellites to the hub.  This effectively created a dedicated "back haul 2.5g backbone."  I didn't understand why they didnt add two 2.5 gig ports to the back of the router......so this was my work around. 

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@jmduraes wrote:
Thank you. It sounds like a missed opportunity to me, as this would give us 2x >1Gbe ports to play with.

I wonder if this would be something that Netgear could change with a software modification, and would consider it for such cases.

You see, I have my main switch some 20m away from the router on a different floor, so using that ethernet backhaul is a must for me. The other satellite (the one currently on the 2.5Gbe port) is behind two thick brick walls, so also needed.

This might force me to put a smaller 2.5Gbps switch next to the router just for backhauling (what a waste) and the perhaps introduce another variable: backhauling over daisy-chained switches, which may be another problem.

More testing to do.

Cheers.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7