Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBKE963 6E range is terrible

ArunGupta
Apprentice

RBKE963 6E range is terrible

Got the RBKE963 yesterday. I enabled the 6GHz only wireless network and assigned it a separate SSID. My Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra connected to this network. But I noticed that it kept dropping the connection frequently. It would switch to 5G with a message that the connection quality was poor and connection will be attempted when the quality improves. This was surprising as I was sitting only like 10 feet away from the satellite with one drywall in between. This is an internal drywall with no insulation in it. On testing, I found that unless I am really close to the router or satellite, the 6E network signal strength drops off quickly, even with one drywall in between. The Alienware PC with Killer WiFi with AX support, does not even see the 6E network, let alone connect to it.

Is this expected? If yes, then what about Netgear's claim about 9000 sq. ft. coverage? I have only 1200 sq. ft. on one floor and there is one router and one satellite and I am not getting 6E signal.

Thanks,

Arun

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended.

Disable the separate 6Ghz network. Be aware that there is already a 6Ghz radio on the main WLAN running. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

For that size of home you only need the RBR. Maybe 1 RBS and you would need to turn down the power on the RBR from 100% to 25%. 
Too Much Wifi: https://youtu.be/UR0viMLISz4

Message 2 of 6
ArunGupta
Apprentice

V6.0.3.85_3.1.15

No update is available. 

The 6GHz network is the 6E radio. The 2.4/5/6 is the standard WiFi 6 radio. When my phone is connected to the 6E radio, it clearly shows 6E against the WiFi signal indicator and accessing remote camera is lot snappy. When it is connected to the 2.4/5/6 GHz radio, it just shows 6 against WiFi signal indicator and remote camera access is sluggish. So, why would I want to disable 6E radio? The the entire router is useless if 6E needs to be disabled.

I am using the router in AP mode. The speed at the LAN cable connected to the router is 800-900 Mbps in either direction, so that is not the issue.

The question is about the WiFi radio signal strength. Cable type/modem type will absolutely not make a difference in WiFi radio signal strength, they will impact speed. The sq ft of house is 2500. But I need the signal outside the house also for WiFi cameras. The router and satellites are almost 30 feet away from each other, being in different corners of the house.

Maybe this router is not all that it is hyped to be. I was using RAX120 which was working fine but had few blind spots and I was using the Netgear tri-band extender EX8000. The combo worked well. Maybe need to return this router if 6E radio cannot go beyond 10 feet through one drywall.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Understand that there is 2.4/5/6Ghz on the Main WLAN, then there is a separate stand alone 6Ghz only radio. 

That that size of home only the RBR and 1 RBS would be needed.

Seems like the Orbi is too much. 

Message 4 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@ArunGupta wrote:

Got the RBKE963 yesterday. I enabled the 6GHz only wireless network and assigned it a separate SSID. My Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra connected to this network. But I noticed that it kept dropping the connection frequently. It would switch to 5G with a message that the connection quality was poor and connection will be attempted when the quality improves. This was surprising as I was sitting only like 10 feet away from the satellite with one drywall in between. This is an internal drywall with no insulation in it. On testing, I found that unless I am really close to the router or satellite, the 6E network signal strength drops off quickly, even with one drywall in between. The Alienware PC with Killer WiFi with AX support, does not even see the 6E network, let alone connect to it.

There appear to be two separate issues in this post.

It is not surprising that the Alienware PC with KillerAX support does not see the 6E network, because the AX in that product refers to 802.11ax in the 2.4G and 5G WiFi bands.   If I am mistaken, please provide a link to the Alienware specs showing WiFi6E support.

This 960 product line seems to offer "something for everybody".  The primary WiFi network (SSID) appears on all three bands (2.4G, 5G, and 6G)  Devices will exchange capabilities with the WiFi system and settle on what seems to provide the "best fit."  The product also provides the ability to enable a separate WiFi SSID that will accept only 6E connections. See page 62 of the user manual: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBKE963/RBRE960_RBSE960_UM_EN.pdf   It is not entirely clear (to me) why Netgear offers this feature.... but they do.

It is a well known issue that 6GHz WiFi signals do not carry as far as 5G signals, which do not carry as far as 2.4G signals.  This is especially the case when any sort of object lies between the WiFi access point and the device.  18 months ago Tom's Hardware described this phenomenon:

https://www.tomshardware.com/features/wi-fi-6-and-6e-explained 

Searches on the topic of WiFi coverage by frequency turn up all sorts of opinions. This blog, for example, agrees that a 6G signal will not remain usable as far as a 5G signal, but seems to conclude "Meh" in terms of practical impact.

10ft. certainly sounds disappointing.

Message 5 of 6
ArunGupta
Apprentice

You are correct. The Killer WiFi card does not support 6E. My Samsung phone does. That is what I am using to test the range of 6E and it is plain horrible. Not worth the $$$. 

Thanks...

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7