Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBKE963 has slow ethernet performance

stig911t
Aspirant

RBKE963 has slow ethernet performance

Got 2 gig fiber installed and getting 2.3 gig up and down on the frontier provided Sagecom device. I plugged the orbi in using the same cables and only get 1.7 (at most) usually 1.2 down and 2.3 up. Are there any settings or something I’m missing to help the download speeds? I don’t think cabling is the issue as I’m using the same cables on the Sagecom. I also don’t have any other devices connected to the orbi, just the one computer on ethernet for testing.

The orbi seems to start the download at 1.8-2 gigs but throttles down by the end.
Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Are you using the 2.5Gb LAN port on the back of the RBR to test speeds with a wired PC connected and using Ooklas installable speed test app on the PC? 

Is the PC supporting of having a 2.5G or higher ethernet adapter? 

What wireless devices do you have? 

CAT# lan cable are you using? CAT6A STP cable is recommended. 

Message 2 of 13
stig911t
Aspirant

It has the latest firmware. The ONT is FRX523.
I’m using cat6a for both cables. I’m using the web version. Works for the frontier router.
It’s pretty apples to apples. Literally one device hooked up to 2.5gig port for each test and I just swap cables out.
Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Try using the 2.5Gb LAN port on the back of the RBR to test speeds with a wired PC connected and using Ooklas installable speed test app on the PC...

Is there a built in router on the ONT? if so, This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop
https://kb.netgear.com/000061277/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-Orbi-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-...

Message 4 of 13
stig911t
Aspirant

Reading some of the forums it seems that users don’t have access to this ONT or I haven’t searched hard enough yet.
Message 5 of 13
Mikey94025
Hero

Is there a model number for the Frontier router or is that the same as your FRX523?  If the device upstream of the Orbi is a router, then adding the Orbi in Router Mode will duplicate the routing functionality (Double NAT) and produce inefficiency that can account for your speed difference.

If the device upstream of the Orbi allows multiple LAN devices to be connected then it is doing routing.  You can alternatively run the Orbi in Access Point (AP) mode.  Alternatively, find a way to put the upstream router into "bridge mode" and let the Orbi do the routing in Router Mode.

If the device upstream of the Orbi is not a router and only one LAN device can be connected to it, then I don't know what could be the problem.  I don't know what the max bandwidth supported by the Orbi RBKE963 is -- It can certainly support 1Gbps (with unnecessary stuff kept off like the speed test, Armor, access controls, traffic meter) but I don't recall reading here of people doing 2Gpbs.

Message 6 of 13
stig911t
Aspirant

The router is a Sagecomm fast 5920.

FRX523 is the ONT and I don’t think I can gain access to it. There are some threads on Reddit suggesting the FRX523 puts out a wifi signal but others were disputing that or saying that is only for the techs to use to diagnose/troubleshoot. The router has all the dhcp settings and everything enabled so if the ONT to Orbi is double nat I’d assume the ONT to Sagecomm would be too.

I thought about connecting the orbi in ap mode but haven’t done it yet. There is a 2.5gb ethernet port on it right beside the 10gig wan so I’d assume it can do it. The other oddball thing is I’ve seen the orbi be able to hit the same upload speed. So in my mind at least it is like there is a limitation or something is not configured right on the downstream end.

Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Need to see if you can remove the sagecom router and connect the RBR directly to the ONT. If the sagecom is in the middle of the ONT and the RBR, this will be a factor in this problem. 

Message 8 of 13
stig911t
Aspirant

I have already done this. I think the orbi just can’t do it or is faulty. I’ve went ONT to Sagecomm and ONT to Orbi with the same cables. Sagecomm can pull 2.3. Orbi is about 1.7.
Message 9 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

And this is with a factory reset and setup from scratch with out Access Controls, Armor, SPC and Traffic Meter disabled? 

If so, I would contact NG support and advise them of this. I guess ask them if you can get an RMA on a 2nd RBR and test. 

I'd have them help you collect Debug logs as well after you've ran the speed test between the RBR and ONT. They might be able to get something from those logs.

Message 10 of 13
stig911t
Aspirant

I didn’t factory reset it. It’s straight out of the box. All those features are turned off/were never on.

The port seems to be capable of delivering those speeds. I put it in AP mode hardwired to their router and saw the same speeds I see from their router alone 2.3 up/down
Message 11 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

I would contact NG support and advise them of this. I guess ask them if you can get an RMA on a 2nd RBR and test. 

I'd have them help you collect Debug logs as well after you've ran the speed test between the RBR and ONT. They might be able to get something from those logs.

Message 12 of 13
stig911t
Aspirant

Yea. I put in a ticket. Waiting on a response
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements