Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR 850 connection delay / high latency at ~60 second intervals

razzaba
Aspirant

RBR 850 connection delay / high latency at ~60 second intervals

I have an RBR 850 with two satellites, latest firmware v4.6.14.3.  I have fiber internet with 1GB symmetrical. Speedtest to the router comes back at ~940 up and down, and o my MacBook at 580 down, 340 up.  Ping of 16ms.

I've been experiencing odd behavior during video calls, whether Google Meet, Zoom, or another web-based video platform I use.  I regularly receive "network unstable" or similar messages, and am experiencing video/audio issues. 

When I view the Troubleshooting area in Google Meet, I can see Connection Delay spikes to anywhere from 500ms to 1500ms almost every minute, on the minute (but not exactly every minute.... looking at it now, I see a spike at 9:44:01, 9:45:01, 9:47:01, and 9:48:01, but not 9:46:01.

This happened with an older 2017 MacBook Pro that I replaced at the end of the year, with a 2023 MacBook Pro (M3 Pro), and it is still happening here.  I have reset the router and the modem (Arris NVG599 that is in passthru mode, the wifi radios are disabled) to no avail.

I've tried both with my Macbook hardwired into the satellite (which is using wireless backhaul) and using traditional wireless - no difference in performance.  Where my office is located, I unfortunately cannot hardwire a connection to anything other than the satellite, and cannot use wired backhaul from satellite to router.

Anyone seen this type of performance issue, and curious what you've done to resolve?

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR 850 connection delay / high latency at ~60 second intervals

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A STP is recommended.

Does this happen with wired and wireless connections? 

What other devices are connected? 

Try turning OFF all other wired and wireless devices including the RBS and test with just the mac book and the application to see if issues are still seen.

What channel configurations are currently set on the router? 

Is Armor, Smart Parent Controls or Traffic Meter enabled? 

Your not on latest FW:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WIFI-6-AX-AND-Wi-Fi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-...

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR📡 and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wired or wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

Message 2 of 7
razzaba
Aspirant

Thank you for the info.  I did not realize there was an updated firmware, as "no new firmware available" displays in the web console.  Will test this out first.

For the remaining:

- Cat6 is wired from modem to router, and from satellite to Macbook.

- I have not tested wired directly to router, but can test this. It's not really in a location conducive to my work video calls, but can test.

-Channels 44 for 5Ghz (have also tried 48, no difference in performance) and Auto for 2.4.

-50+ other devices including 2 phones, 2 other laptops, 4 tablets, smart TVs, PS5, fire sticks, echo devices, 4 cameras, variety of IOT devices....

-No Armor, Parent Controls, or Traffic Meter

-4500 sqft house, roughly. router on main level, satellite 1 in walkout (partially above grade) basement, satellite 2 on 2nd floor.

-router and satellite 1, roughly 20 feet. router and satellite 2, roughly 30 feet.

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

"router and satellite 1, roughly 20 feet"

Would be too close between these two. 30 feet to start in distances. 

Message 4 of 7
razzaba
Aspirant

Have updated firmware to latest, as mentioned above.

Hardwired into router directly, still experiencing latency spikes at exactly 60 second intervals.

In the pic attached, the large spikes you see are literally every minute, at 18 seconds past.  This is from Google Meet troubleshooting stats.

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What brand and model devices are you using to test this? 

Happens with a different device to compare? 

Does wired ethernet do same thing? 

Test with all wireless and other devices and RBS turned OFF as well. Just the RBR and one test device.

Message 6 of 7
razzaba
Aspirant

Have tried two different MacBooks, same experience.  One is a MBP 2017 with i7, the other is a MBP 2023 with an M3 Pro.  Same thing with both laptops.  

-Macbook hardwired to satellite (wireless backhaul)... Macbook hardwired to router (with satellites ON)... Macbook hardwired to router (with satellites OFF)... Macbook connected to Orbi wirelessly... all provide the same exact results with 60-second interval latency spikes.

-Macbook hardwired directly to Modem... NO latency spike at all, perfect experience.

Issue seems to be squarely with the Orbi router/configuration.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7