Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR750 403 Access denied after upgrade to 4.6.3.7 firmware

adolgov
Tutor

RBR750 403 Access denied after upgrade to 4.6.3.7 firmware

I'm getting a proxy error from the router, and am unable to access its configuration page after firmware update from 3.x version to 4.6.3.7.

I factory reset the router, and then I'm able to connect again; however, when I re-configure it (restore settings), the proxy error comes back.

-------

Access denied
The administrator of this proxy has not configured it to service requests from your host.

Generated by tinyproxy version 1.11.0-rc1.

-------

I've tracked it down to the following:

I configure my router to be 192.169.0.1, rather than the default 192.168.1.1, and this configuration has worked well before (using 3.x firmware) and is necessary due to the topology of my various networks.

Anyhow, the new firmware is unable to handle this setting, even though the 3.x firmware worked fine.

Furthermore, the web application is not allowing me to downgrade to the older firmware because the "Yes" button that is required to answer the "are you sure you want to install older firmware" is missing from the UI.

Any hints on how to get around this error or an easy way to get past the "missing Yes button" part of manually downgrading.

Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What browser are you using? 

Bye restoring the configuration, are you manually inputting settings or restoring from a backup file? 

If you disconnect the RBR from the ISP modem, can you log into the RBRs web page and select the ERASE function from Advanced tab/Admin/Backup using a wired PC and web browser? Try MS Edge or Firefox or Opera. After the RBR resets, log into the RBRs web page at 192.168.1.1 and walk thru the setup wizard...

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 2 of 12
adolgov
Tutor

I tried Brave, Chrome, and Edge browsers, all with the same effect.

I've isolated the change to what I stated: i.e. I can make the error happen simply by taking the initial default configuration (after walk-through setup) and trying to change the router ip address to 192.169.x.x rather than 192.168.1.1.

The issue happens regardless of whether or not the router is connected to the cable modem.

Modem is Netgear CM1000.

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to keep 192.168.1.1 for now if this doesn't cause a problem. 

I recommend you contact NG support and let them know what your seeing when you try changing the IP address from .1.1 to something different. 

@Blanca_O @Christian_R 

Message 4 of 12
adolgov
Tutor

Unfortunately, this is not a solution for me because I need this specific network numbering topology. Since this worked in previous firmware versions, how do I revert to an older version of firmware? When I try via the web UI, there is no "Yes" button to confirm the "version you're installing is older than the current version" question.

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

No downgrading isn't supported. Contact NG support and let them know whats happening. 

Message 6 of 12
adolgov
Tutor

Yikes! What a mess.

Thanks for your help. I guess my best bet is to try to take the set back to Costco and hope that their generous return policy will allow me to get a replacement set that still has the old, working firmware.

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya you can try that. 

Ya, NG knows of the v4 problems. 

Message 8 of 12
raven_au
Virtuoso

@adolgov wrote:

Yikes! What a mess.

Thanks for your help. I guess my best bet is to try to take the set back to Costco and hope that their generous return policy will allow me to get a replacement set that still has the old, working firmware.

Why do you need to use a publically routable IP address range for your router?

Is this block of IP addresses actually assigned to you?

Perhaps it working before was a bug since you really should use private IP address range within your home.

Why can't you use the private IP address range 192.168.0.x in your home?

Although that could well be a problem too since, as you describe, using an alternate address range has become a problem.

Nevertheless the address range you were using isn't one you should be using.

Message 9 of 12
GreatDrivr
Tutor

Got an RBK852 & having the exact same issue on Firmware 4.6.3.9.

I understand, this may not be the correct forum, but my initial point is that this issue is not limited to a single model or one exact firmware version.

Second point... THANK YOU, raven_au, for mentioning the Public/Private IP thing. I've been chasing my tail trying to figure out a fix for my 192.100.17.x IP range causing the same issue since my last firmware update. And since that range worked flawlessly in former firmware versions & on more than 8 other router brands & models for over 10 years, it didn't occur to me that my chosen IP range was the cause.

Fortunately, I didn't have to suffer through Netgear's absolutely HORRIFIC, sad excuse for technical support... I thank my luck stars again for that, alone!!

NETGEAR - Please, please document this new limitation within your firmware release notes!!

Had it been declared there, it would have been a huge favor to all of us... And we wouldn't have wasted so much time chasing it down. Whether the behavior was previously allowed via a "bug" or not is irrelevant. It's quite clearly a functional change implimented via firmware versions. Thus, should be documented as such.

Thanks,
Message 10 of 12
titaniumrx8
Apprentice

easy way to get past the "missing Yes button" part of manually downgrading.

In another thread it's been suggested that the "Yes" button can be found by examining the page HTML. Haven't tried it myself.
Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Try this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBK750-Series-Firmware-Update-v4-6-3-7/m-p/2130838/highligh...

@GreatDrivr wrote:
Got an RBK852 & having the exact same issue on Firmware 4.6.3.9.

I understand, this may not be the correct forum, but my initial point is that this issue is not limited to a single model or one exact firmware version.

Second point... THANK YOU, raven_au, for mentioning the Public/Private IP thing. I've been chasing my tail trying to figure out a fix for my 192.100.17.x IP range causing the same issue since my last firmware update. And since that range worked flawlessly in former firmware versions & on more than 8 other router brands & models for over 10 years, it didn't occur to me that my chosen IP range was the cause.

Fortunately, I didn't have to suffer through Netgear's absolutely HORRIFIC, sad excuse for technical support... I thank my luck stars again for that, alone!!

NETGEAR - Please, please document this new limitation within your firmware release notes!!

Had it been declared there, it would have been a huge favor to all of us... And we wouldn't have wasted so much time chasing it down. Whether the behavior was previously allowed via a "bug" or not is irrelevant. It's quite clearly a functional change implimented via firmware versions. Thus, should be documented as such.

Thanks,

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series