Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR750 Guest Network visible while guest network is disabled

DennisMaxx
Apprentice

RBR750 Guest Network visible while guest network is disabled

Hi,

I have an issue I can't solve. I use Orbi RBR750 + 2 Satellites (RBS750). All devices have V4.6.3.16_20.51 installed.

Once in a while my Devices are loosing WiFi Connection. When this happens, I can see "netguer Guest" in the available WiFi Networks despite I have turned off Guest Network.

Sometimes this happens 5 times in 60 minutes, sometimes only once a day. During online communication it is very dissappointing to lose connection and reconnect. 

Another Problem: Some devices are 1 meter away from the Satellite but still connects to the Router which is one level / floor below. It helps to restart the device to connect to the satellite but after a few hour, it reconnects to the Router. 

In addition I can recognize the blue LEDs on the Satellites multiple times a day...

Settings: 2.4G & 5G available, WMM enabled, 20/40 MHz Coexistence enabled, Router Mode, VLAN off.

Is there any help? What can I do? 

What I did so far: Reset to factory settings, repositioned the Satellites, nothing changed.

Message 1 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR750 Guest Network visible while guest network is disabled

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

You might try this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6/New-RBR750-RBS750-Firmware-Version-4-6-3-16-Released/m-...

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 2 of 42
DennisMaxx
Apprentice

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, after factory reset I started from new (configured WiFi Name, Password and so on). I'm from Germany, my ISP is "Deutsche Telekom" and the modem is "Fritz!Box 7490 with latest OS.

Our home is about 85 square meters, RBR (1st floor) and RBS1 (2nd floor) are in a distance of 3,5 meters in a straight line but through a concrete ceiling. RBS2 (0th floor) is about 7 meters away through wooden stairway.

Channels are configured in: 2,4G is on channel 1, 5G is on channel 36. After weeks of testing this was the most stable variant.

WiFi neighbours are there, I can find 5 other Networks in 2.4G area, but nothing in 5G.

My problem is not the performance, when it is working, everything is fine. My problem is, that it keeps kicking out my iPhones and iPads and Laptops (HP Elitebook as well as MacBook). Yesterday I renamed "Netgear_Guest" to something different (new name: TestWiFi), because it could be, that some other neighbour uses this. But now when my iPhone gets kicked out I can see Guest-Network "TestWifi", so it has to be my Orbi which is sending out "Guest Network" for a short time although it is set to OFF.

Message 3 of 42
DennisMaxx
Apprentice

Another thing I saw today: RBS resets itself. White light is blinking, then after a while, blue solid light is visible. Why is it doing that??

Keep losing my connection.

Message 4 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 5 of 42
DennisMaxx
Apprentice

Oh wow...I will not be so stupid to beta test a new firmware from netgear again. I will wait until more people tested this new firmware. 

And when my problems can't be solved, I will sell all my netgear stuff and buy something else.

Message 6 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

👍 

Also I don't see many people posting problems as you are seeing so you may want to try it as you seem to be the only one posting about it currently. 

Message 7 of 42
DennisMaxx
Apprentice

So I have tried newest firmware. RBS is still showing "white LED blinking" and then turning to solid blue LED. Now I positioned my monitor next to the Orbi RBS to see when this happens, and it happens 4..5 times during 9h of working in my office.

So new firmware did not help regarding to this problem.
Message 8 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you manually install FW on the RBS first then RBR using a wired PC and web browser and then factory reset the system and setup from scratch? 

@DennisMaxx wrote:
So I have tried newest firmware. RBS is still showing "white LED blinking" and then turning to solid blue LED. Now I positioned my monitor next to the Orbi RBS to see when this happens, and it happens 4..5 times during 9h of working in my office.

So new firmware did not help regarding to this problem.

Message 9 of 42
DennisMaxx
Apprentice

Installed via Netgear Orbi Interface. After that, saved backup file and did a factory reset of the whole system. Later, uploaded saved backup to have same settings as before
Message 10 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

This time, manually install FW file on the RBS first then RBR using a wired PC and web browser and then factory reset the system and setup from scratch and do not apply a saved backup from file. 

Message 11 of 42
DennisMaxx
Apprentice

So, I needed some time for other things but I am back.

The Issue that my iPhone gets kicked out is still there. Can not fix this. I reinstalled FW manually as you told and powerd off the devices for several minutes after this. And startet new configuration of WiFi Network and so on but STILL have this problem. This really f.... me up. How can i go back to FW version 3.x ?

Message 12 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you go on and fully enable GN then turn around and disable it? 

Does the GN SSID disappear when you turn OFF the RBR and RBS? 

Message 13 of 42
DennisMaxx
Apprentice

Sorry did not see your answer. Sure I tried this (turning GN ON and connect to it, then turn it OFF). I can see GN still every time when I have a drop out and the blue light on RBS is visible. 

I asked in another thread for beta firmware...maybe this will help.

Message 14 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to contact NG support or a forum moderator and see if they can get you the FW that one user mentioned, If thats what they really got. I notice they haven't posted since they first mentioned that so not sure how credible that is since we don't see anything else. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/RBK750-Beta-Firmware-4-6-6-11/td-p/2...

Something else to try, do a full manual re-load of the FW file on the RBS and RBR. After the units are back to ready, use the ERASE function on the RBR and Press the reset button on the RBS for 15 seconds then release. When you see the front LED on the RBS start to blink WHITE, turn it OFF. Walk thru the setup wizard on the RBR and set it up fully. Once it's setup, take the RBS near or to same room as the RBR and  turn ON the RBS and when the front LED slowly blinks WHITE, press the sync button on the RBS and on the RBR and let the RBS re-sync fully. I'd give a full 5 minutes. The front LED on the RBS should turn BLUE then turn OFF. Check the RBRs web page for RBS status and also log into the RBS web page as well. Once the front LED is OFF, turn the RBS off and place in remote location. 

Message 15 of 42
DennisMaxx
Apprentice

Hi furry,

I could install 4.6.7.5. exaclty after your suggestion (even waited for 20min). I still have these dropouts where my devices want to reconnect and loosing WiFi Signal. Exact in this moment I can see "Netgear_GUEST" WiFi. (In older Firmware I gave it a different name, but because I started from scratch, it is the default name).

Any thoughts?

Message 16 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes load the newer FW using the suggestion method in my last post. 

Message 17 of 42
DennisMaxx
Apprentice

This was no question, I already did update last week and do have again same dropouts & see Guest Network despite I have switched it off
Message 18 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

If you turn OFF the RBS, is the Guest Network still seen?

Did you power OFF the RBS and RBR for 1 minute or more after the FW was loaded? 

Has a full on factory reset and setup from scratch been performed on the RBS and RBR? 

Message 19 of 42
DennisMaxx
Apprentice

Did not try do take RBS off because then I can not work, have to try on weekend

I did full factory reset and power off for 20min and yes, started from scratch!
Message 20 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

What broswer did you use to load the FW files? 

Did you send the FW files to the RBS using the RBR web page or the RBSs web page? 

Message 21 of 42
DennisMaxx
Apprentice

Browser was Safari on my MacBook.
When I selected RBS and "upload" it redirected me to RBS site, had to relogin there and than started uplaod.
Message 22 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. That should work. 

Next time, you might try using FireFox browser to send the FW file. 

Do you have Guest Network Broadcast disabled on the RBR prior to the FW update? 

Are you pressing the sync buttons on the RBS and RBR when resyncing wirelessly after a reset? 

Message 23 of 42
DennisMaxx
Apprentice

Yes, GN was disabled before FW Update. As you said earlier, I switched GN ON and gave GN different name and switch off again. But no change in behavior

I did not press SYNC Button because my RBS (2x) find RBR without pressing. What is different when pressing SYNC button?

Message 24 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

And if you power OFF the orbi system, the guest network SSID name disappears right? 

So to confirm with just the RBR alone, and RBS turned OFF, you don't see the guest network SSID being broadcast? 

Pressing the button may force a new configuration from the RBR to the RBS. 

You might Reset the RBS then when the front LED starts to blink, turn them OFF. Then look at the RBRs web page and select Remove/Disconnect button next to each RBS on the RBRs web page. Do a full reboot of the RBR, then power ON the RBS one at a time. I recommend take both RBS to the same room as the RBR. Power ON one RBS and when the front LED startes to slowly, press the sync button on the RBS then RBR and let the RBS re-sync. Wait until the BLUE LED turns off. Connect to the RBSs web page and verify the status and that you see the SSID name listed and Security mode is set to WPA2. If you don't see these items, means the RBS is not syncing right. Something maybe wrong with the RBS. 

If you get the RBS to fully sync, check the broadcast SSID for the guest network being listed at this point. If you don't see it after 5-10 minutes, power on next RBS and do same process. 

Message 25 of 42
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 41 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7