Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR750 / RBS750 AP MODE NOT ACHIEVING STABLE WIRELESS BACKHAUL

zrdcorp
Tutor

RBR750 / RBS750 AP MODE NOT ACHIEVING STABLE WIRELESS BACKHAUL

I searched for a solution for this to no avail.

I have tried all firmwares 4.6.3.7 and above.

If i switch to AP mode they never get a stable wireless BACKHAUL.

I have tried varying distances from router from 10 feet to 100 ft.

Anybody has a solution?

Message 1 of 28
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR750 / RBS750 AP MODE NOT ACHIEVING STABLE WIRELESS BACKHAUL

As a general rule, the closer a satellite is to the router, the better the backhaul connection will be.

In practical terms, it makes no sense to locate WiFi access points very close together, because the total coverage area will be not much greater than the router itself.

What Netgear recommends is moving the satellites to locations that provide coverage to the part of the building where coverage is needed.

There are suggestions that "somewhere around 30ft" is a good place to start.  If the ring light is blue, indicating a Good signal, then they can be a bit farther apart.  If it is amber, that is too far.  Of course, satellites need electrical power, so if 30ft happens to be in the middle of a room, that is impractical.

If not totally impossible, 100ft is very unlikely to work.

The 750 product appears to have 'quirks' that I am unfamiliar with.  Also in general, once the router and satellites have established a good backhaul connection, changing the router to access point (AP) mode should not have any effect on the backhaul.

That appears to be the issue.  Not the actual distance.

Message 2 of 28
zrdcorp
Tutor

I this a robot replying?

Distance is not the issue. I have tried 10 ft, 20 ft, 30, ft, 40 ft, 50 ft, 60 ft, 70 ft, 80 ft, 90 ft, 100ft.

Once it pairs and connects wirelessly correctly, if I switch to AP mode, it stops working.

AP mode is not working for a wireless backhaul.

I monitor the connection via pings, and it seems there is a bug within ORBI wireless backhaul that disconnect itself every 20 or 30 seconds.

The old RBR50 and RBS50 worked perfect on same locations.

But again, locations are not the issue.

How do  I get a replacement for something that actually works?

Message 3 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you using Dynamic or static IP address configuration on the RBR in AP mode? 

Did you first turn OFF the RBS, then configure AP mode, wait for the RBR to connect using it's WAN port to the host router, then after the RBR is FULLY online, turn ON one RBS at a time? 

My 7 series working in AP Mode with the RBS wireslessly connected. 

Message 4 of 28
zrdcorp
Tutor

Of course the setup is done correctly.

--Are you using Dynamic or static IP address configuration on the RBR in AP mode?

Either way did not make a difference.

--Did you first turn OFF the RBS, then configure AP mode, wait for the RBR to connect using it's WAN port to the host router, then after the RBR is FULLY online, turn ON one RBS at a time? 

Yes. Of course. But aso tried different order and does not make a difference.

--My 7 series working in AP Mode with the RBS wireslessly connected. 

Yours would be the only one. You should be happy.

All the reports read on the different forums, is that after V4 firmware AP mode works only on wired Backhaul.

I heve monitored the traffic and on V4 after the backhaul is wirelessly established, the router and satellite break the connection every dozens of seconds.

I am a Network professional.

If I downgrade to firmware V3.2.18.1_1.4.14 (Netgear intends for this to be disabled, but it is possible like mentioned elsewhere) the AP mode works wirelessly correctly.

You should post, that current firmware V4 does not work for AP mode wirelessly. Also, netgear must remove firmware V4 and not make the automatic update until a working firmware is released.

Message 5 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you syncing the RBS while is same room as the RBR or at the remote location. I usually sync my RBS while in same room first to make sure it syncs fully. 

Be sure the RBS is using same version of FW as well.

Does the RBS appear on the host routers connected devices list at all with an IP address? 

What is the brand and model of the host router? 

My one RBS syncs fine with using manual channel 11 and 48 on the RBR. CTS set to 64, however you can try 2347. Power on the RBR set for 25%. https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/Firmware-v4-Breaks-AP-mode-on-the-OR...

There are others with working 7 series in AP mode. 

Well you can downgrade back to v3 if you want though downgrading is not officially supported:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBK750-Series-Firmware-Update-v4-6-3-7/m-p/2131307/highligh...

NG is already aware of problems on v4 FW. It's up to them to get it fixed. Nothing else we can do here in the forums after all troubleshooting has been exhausted. Otherwise, users need to contact NG support and let them know about the problems there having. 

Users are in the forums are user experienced helping out other users is all.

Message 6 of 28
zrdcorp
Tutor

--Are you syncing the RBS while is same room as the RBR or at the remote location.
It makes no difference. Not even a single satellite syncs stable on V4 AP mode.
--Be sure the RBS is using same version of FW as well.
Yes of course. As said in the OP, tried all published versions of V4 FW.
--Does the RBS appear on the host routers connected devices list at all with an IP address?
Yes of course. You can ping it ans see how the wireless connection breaks.
--What is the brand and model of the host router?
Tried several. Made no difference. Netgear RB50,
and mikrotik.
--There are others with working 7 series in AP mode.
Doubt it is with V4 FW and wireless backhaul. Have not read a single instance. They reverted to Router mode or downgraded the FW or used wired backhaul.
The first satellite shows as good on attached devices for a few seconds, then the wireless backhaul disconnects and reconnects and disconnects.

Message 7 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

I'd contact NG support and let them know what your seeing then. 

Message 8 of 28
zrdcorp
Tutor

NG must remove the V4 firmware from production until they have a version that works with AP mode as well as Router mode. At least from the autoupdate.
The v3 fw is working very stable so far, although the coverage is reduced compared to the older RBR50 series.
Also, the reduced number of ethernet ports (4 to only 2) and the removal of USB ports and hidden ssid makes the RBR750 a downgrade from the RBR50 series.
Message 9 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Make sure when you downgrade, that the system doesn't auto update. The system will update if it's not blocked. 

Some you'll need to contact NG support about. 

Message 10 of 28
Rudolphy
Apprentice

Just for info: My RBR50 also runs in AP-mode with 3 RBSs at latest firmware. No issues so far. Furry is not the only one 🙂

But my RBSs do a resync a few times a day, but internet connection is stable while this process. This behavior only exists with firmware 4.xxx

Message 11 of 28
zrdcorp
Tutor

--"But my RBSs do a resync a few times a day..."

lol...

I rest my case. I do not know of a single instance of V4 firmware working correctly and stable in AP mode wirelessly.

I am guessing you probably had to do a special ip range setup for the DHCP or jumped through a few hoops...??

A product must simply worked as advertised, with no compliations or special to follow instructions.

RBR750 simply DOES NOT WORK IN AP MODE on V4 firmware.

But further on my point, it is IRRESPONSIBLE AND NOT PROFESSIONAL to make the product automatically update to a point of no return to a firmware full of bugs.

AP mode is just not the only bug.

Makes you wonder how or who tested the V4 firmware for them....

Message 12 of 28
Rudolphy
Apprentice

You do not have to laugh 🙂 The crazy thing is that my devices, which are connected to the respective satellite during the resynch, do not lose the connection to the satellite and also have an internet connection throughout. I have had this recorded by several programs for 24 hours. So a very strange behavior of the firmware 4.XXX

Message 13 of 28
zrdcorp
Tutor

Yeah. Laughing at Netgear is probably not the right response.

They should be sued, force to recall V4 firmware or all RBR750s, and replace them with something that works.

You are just describing another bug of V4 firmware and how it does not work correctly.

I have my setup identical on V3 and V4. In v4 it does not work, and in V3 it works.

That means my setup is wrong?

No.

That means V4 firmware is wrong.

Have you tried your setup on V3? 

Message 14 of 28
Rudolphy
Apprentice

@zrdcorp

Sorry, had understood you so that you laugh at me!

Yes, I wanted to list another error of V4, although I can live with my settings with V4.
Under V3 everything ran smoothly, there was also no constant resync

Message 15 of 28
zrdcorp
Tutor

The correct thing to do is have a sticky on  THIS FORUM, that helps users to downgrade to V3.

It is far easier to downgrade to V3 than to try and live with the V4 bugs and problems.

Message 16 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Just curious, do ALL your RBS resync all at the same time or randomly? 
I only have 1 RBS and haven't seen this with mine. Would be interesting to know if you turn OFF all but 1 RBS, still happens? 
Your system been fully factory reset and setup from scratch? 

@Rudolphy wrote:

Just for info: My RBR50 also runs in AP-mode with 3 RBSs at latest firmware. No issues so far. Furry is not the only one 🙂

But my RBSs do a resync a few times a day, but internet connection is stable while this process. This behavior only exists with firmware 4.xxx

Message 17 of 28
claudiut
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 As you probably read here most of us having satellite disconnect issues it's always random, one of the satellites at a time. Also, what's the point in turning OFF all but 1 satellite?? I need all the satellites for coverage otherwise the system is useless!

If you're trying to troubleshoot the issue, please feel free to buy an additional RBS and help NG troubleshoot the issue. It seems you like them so much anyway.

Another point here: stop asking people to reset their system and reconfigure everything. When you pay this much on a system it should just at a push of a button. What you and NG are doing in equivalent of a car manufacturer asking me to reset a car's system in order to try to make it work properly. Instead you should ask your friends/colleagues at NG to work harder and come up with a firmware that actually works!

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Just curious, do ALL your RBS resync all at the same time or randomly? 
I only have 1 RBS and haven't seen this with mine. Would be interesting to know if you turn OFF all but 1 RBS, still happens? 
Your system been fully factory reset and setup from scratch? 

@Rudolphy wrote:

Message 18 of 28
claudiut
Apprentice

@CrimpOn Appreciate you trying to help, but I was on the phone with one of your NG colleagues and he actually told me that 30ft is probably too far regardless of whether the ring light is blue. In my case the router is on one floor and the satellites on the 2nd floor of the house. He literally told me this is mostly the cause of a poor speed on the satellites and frequent device disconnections as the signal can't penetrate through the ceiling/floor. This is crazy as most of the houses here in North America are standard wood frame and drywall and that's pretty friendly for wifi signal.

Moreover, everything is far more stable with firmware 3.x with satellites in exactly same position. And yes, I've done reset and reconfigure manually after the firmware upgrade/downgrade. So, I can't understand why Netgear is not acknowledging the issues with v4.x firmware and release a fix once and for all!!! This is crazy **bleep**, pardon my French.

@CrimpOn wrote:

As a general rule, the closer a satellite is to the router, the better the backhaul connection will be.

In practical terms, it makes no sense to locate WiFi access points very close together, because the total coverage area will be not much greater than the router itself.

What Netgear recommends is moving the satellites to locations that provide coverage to the part of the building where coverage is needed.

There are suggestions that "somewhere around 30ft" is a good place to start.  If the ring light is blue, indicating a Good signal, then they can be a bit farther apart.  If it is amber, that is too far.  Of course, satellites need electrical power, so if 30ft happens to be in the middle of a room, that is impractical.

If not totally impossible, 100ft is very unlikely to work.

The 750 product appears to have 'quirks' that I am unfamiliar with.  Also in general, once the router and satellites have established a good backhaul connection, changing the router to access point (AP) mode should not have any effect on the backhaul.

That appears to be the issue.  Not the actual distance.

Message 19 of 28
CrimpOn
Guru

@claudiut wrote:

@CrimpOn Appreciate you trying to help, but I was on the phone with one of your NG colleagues and he actually told me that 30ft is probably too far regardless of whether the ring light is blue.

Interesting.  Really wish I was able to speak to Netgear employees.  Would love to hear this guy explain how "Good" is really "not Good".  That seems to be logically inconsistent. "Oh, sure.  Our product says the backhaul connection is 'good', but you can't believe what our engineers programmed the device to report.  It's probably 'not good'."   So, how does he propose to know when the backhaul link is actually "good"?  Even though Netgear labels some of us as "SuperUsers", we are actually just ordinary customers who came to this forum to solve problems with our Netgear equipment and have the time to help others. 

In the older Orbi product that I own, there are a couple of ways to display the signal strength and transmit/receive rates between router and satellite.  (using telnet - which the AX series does not support, and using an Excel spreadsheet to make SOAP calls to the router)

My three satellites that are all under 30' from the router report the following:

RBS50 RSSI -68 Transmit/Receive rate 975/975

RBS40V RSSI -64 Transmit/Receive rate 866/866

RBS40V RSSI -62 Transmit/Receive rate 866/866

I feel compelled to point out that these values change by the minute.  What was -64 five minutes ago, might be -63 right now.  The changes are minor.  -64 does not suddenly become -80 or -40.

I also agree that the firmware for the AX product line does not give a positive impression of Netgear engineering.

Message 20 of 28
zrdcorp
Tutor

I sincerely hope Netgear did not mean 30 ft from the router.

That means the system would not cover the advertised 9000 square feet...

Message 21 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

30 feet is a good starting point for distances between the RBR and RBS depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. RBS can be placed farther out...
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

Message 22 of 28
zrdcorp
Tutor

Is not....Simple math. Then it is NOT a 9000 square feet system....

Message 23 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

To 9000sq ft, you need more than 1 RBS. 

Message 24 of 28
CrimpOn
Guru

@zrdcorp wrote:

Is not....Simple math. Then it is NOT a 9000 square feet system....

I have been looking for the source of the 9,000 sq. ft.

The RBK752 product data sheet claims 5,000 sq. ft.

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/orbi/RBK752.pdf 

The RBK753 product data sheet claims 7,500 sq. ft.

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/orbi/RBK753.pdf 

Realizing that there is a footnote in tiny type explaining that this is all marketing hype and "your results may be different ( i.e. be much less).

Also, when access points are placed against walls, as is often the case, much of the coverage are is wasted outside.

Although academically interesting, a discussion about 'distance' and coverage does not appear to have anything to do with the primary issue.  A simple change from router mode to access point mode causes satellites to disconnect.  Whatever the distance is, they were connected and working. Now they are not.  That is unacceptable, leaving the customer with only three options: (a)  give up on AP mode and live with the system in router mode until (maybe) there is a firmware update that works, (b) manually install the previous firmware that worked and block Netgear from updating the firmware, or (c) return the product and buy something else.

Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7