Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR750/RBS750 - satellites won't connect to mesh network

jcl28211
Tutor

RBR750/RBS750 - satellites won't connect to mesh network

I have two RBS 750 satellites working with a RBR 750 router.  The network was working flawlessly for the past two years until a few weeks ago when the satellites stopped working.  Using the Orbi App, in the network map, I see the two satellites but they are red with a solid red line to the router.  When I click on the satellites the dot is magenta and the details pages says it's offline, and lists the hardware type, version, serial number, MAC address and IP address (if hardwired to router via ethernet cable).  It does not provide the firmware version - this is blank.  The Router is working on firmware version V4.6.5.14. 

If I log onto orbilogin.com and look at the advanced, administration, attached devices page both satellites appear but don't show an IP Address and connection type & connected orbi is blank.  Reading many posts, I'm assuming a firmware mismatch has occurred and an update is needed.  If I try to do a firmware update through the app it indicated my firmware is up to date.  If I try to do a firmware update through orbilogin.com it says "No New Firmware Available" and doesn't show my satellites on the online update page.  If I click on the Manual Update page it does not show my satellites to click and conduct a manual update.  I can only try to do a manual firmware update to the router.  Reading through other community posts, I've done multiple complete power off cycles of Orbi system, rebooted the system through the app and rebooted the system via pin button on back of hardware plus tried to sync the satellites using the button on the back of the hardware.  After doing this the satellites LED ring turns solid blue before going blank, which I understand as the satellites are connected to the router.

Prior to these events, No settings have manually changed either in the app or on orbilogin.com.  I'm guessing the firmwares are off between the router and satellites.  I've read to update the satellites first and then the router.  As described above, I can't figure out what firmware the satellites are operating under nor how to update them. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions

Re: RBR750/RBS750 - satellites won't connect to mesh network

Download latest firmware for your devices from netgear.com/support If you have the RBS750 and RBR750, those are the links. Unzip both files:
https://www.netgear.com/support/product/rbr750.aspx#download

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/rbs750.aspx#download

Important Notes:

• To do the process below, you need to be connected via ethernet between your computer and the router, do not do this over Wi-Fi,
  • Update satellites firmware first, and then your router last.

Here is what I did to resolve it:

1. Unplug everything (power and ethernet), plug ethernet between your computer and the router, then power back to the router only. Let the router start entirely,
  2. Reset the router by pushing the 'reset' button with a pin at the back of the router for 15 seconds; wait for the router to start completely (solid white or not light at all),
  3. Once the router has started, set up the router so that you can access it via the admin interface (this is normal configuration via web admin or mobile app),
  4. Update the satellites firmware:
    1. Plug ethernet cable from one satellite to the router, and plug power to the satellite; wait for the satellite to start completely (solid blue),
    2. Push 'reset' on the satellite to reset the device and wait for solid blue light,
    3. Once solid blue is visible, go on router admin via web interface and go to 'Attached Devices'. You should see a "netgear" device via 'wired' in the list under "Connected Devices". Note the IP address and open it in a new tab,

4. Login using your the credentials you used in step 3. If those don't work, try the default admin/password ("password" is the actual password) which worked for me; from there you should see the firmware version,
    5. If the version is not the same as the one downloaded earlier, go to 'Firmware Upgrade', then 'Browse' and select the .cfk file from the RBS-750 (pick RBS, not RBR), and let it do its jobs; the satellite will eventually reboot, it takes a little while,
  5. Unplug ethernet and power from your satellite and repeat step 4.1 to 4.5 with every other satellites you have.
  6. Once done, it is time to upgrade the router firmware:
    1. Disconnect all satellites from the router, unplug power from satellites; your computer is still connected to router via ethernet,
    2. In the router admin interface, go to "Advanced" tab > Administration > Firmware Update > "Manual Update" tab,
    3. Click "Browse" and select the .chk from the RBR-750 folder (not RBS), click "Upload" and let it do its job, until the router restart and shows no light (or solid white).
  7. Plug power back to satellites (no ethernet); they should automatically sync with the router (show solid blue light). It take a little while.
  8. Once both satellites show a solid blue, go to the router admin interface > "Attached Devices"; you should now see both routers in the "Connected Satellites" section (not in the "Connected Devices" section anymore).

And that, should resolve the issue of satellites not connecting to your router. The whole process takes a little while, especially when you reset/reboot devices as they take a few minutes to be ready. Any questions, please feel free to ask in this thread. I will try my best to help.

A bit of background: this issue has been caused by Netgear themselves. They pushed an update to either satellites or router without pushing the update to the other device, as such devices were using different firmware versions and were not able to properly sync. To me the issue started around May 25th.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies

It has been a month and a half that I am experiencing the exact same issue. Suddenly satellites stopped working entirely. Not devices can connect them anymore. Looking into the app I can also seem them but the icon is red and it shows no devices connected. On the web admin interface, the satellite appears but under "Backhaul Status" it says "Disconnected" in red. I am not able to do anything with it. 

Router Firmware is V4.6.5.14_2.0.54.

I have called support multiple times and so far they failed to address the issue. On the first call, they mentioned it was a known issue that would be automatically resolved in a few weeks. I still have an open case with support.

I am curious to get an idea at how many customers are impacted by this issue. I will post any solution I find if I successfully get it resolved. I would appreciate if you do the same.

Similar issues: 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/RBS750-not-connecting-to-RBR750/m-p/...

Message 2 of 8

Issue was resolved by manually updating firmware to most recent on all devices, starting with the two routers. Once all devices are on the same firmware, everything works as expected.

Hope this helps resolve your issue.

Message 3 of 8
jcl28211
Tutor

How did you update the Satellites if they are not recognized by orbilogin.com? 

This morning 1 satellite is showing up as green on the app, but the backhaul status is "out of sync", no devices are connected and the firmware version is still blank.  I want to update the firmware for the satellites first and then the router (as I've seen this is recommended order), but I haven't seen instructions on how to achieve if the satellite does not show up in the firmware update section of orbilogin.com (#3 from the instructions below).  I've downloaded the zip files for RBS & RBR 750 but don't know to execute the firmware update from this point.  Any suggestions would be helpful.  Thanks.

To manually update the firmware on your Orbi satellite:  

1. Download the firmware for your Orbi satellite from the NETGEAR Download Center and save it to your desktop.
  2. Click the Manual Update tab.
    The Firmware Update page displays.
  3. Select the check box next to your satellite's model name.
  4. Click the Update button.
    The Orbi satellite Firmware Update window opens.
  5. If the browser asks you for the admin password, enter the same password you entered for the Orbi router.
  6. Click the BROWSE button, then locate and select the file that ends in .img  or .chk on your desktop.
  7. Click the UPLOAD button to upload the firmware file.
    It takes a few minutes to complete the process.
  8. After your Orbi satellite finishes updating, select Status and make sure that the firmware version on the Status page matches the firmware version on the NETGEAR Support page.
    The firmware on your Orbi satellite is updated.
Message 4 of 8

Give me a moment, I'll post details on how to proceed later in the day.

Message 5 of 8

Download latest firmware for your devices from netgear.com/support If you have the RBS750 and RBR750, those are the links. Unzip both files:
https://www.netgear.com/support/product/rbr750.aspx#download

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/rbs750.aspx#download

Important Notes:

• To do the process below, you need to be connected via ethernet between your computer and the router, do not do this over Wi-Fi,
  • Update satellites firmware first, and then your router last.

Here is what I did to resolve it:

1. Unplug everything (power and ethernet), plug ethernet between your computer and the router, then power back to the router only. Let the router start entirely,
  2. Reset the router by pushing the 'reset' button with a pin at the back of the router for 15 seconds; wait for the router to start completely (solid white or not light at all),
  3. Once the router has started, set up the router so that you can access it via the admin interface (this is normal configuration via web admin or mobile app),
  4. Update the satellites firmware:
    1. Plug ethernet cable from one satellite to the router, and plug power to the satellite; wait for the satellite to start completely (solid blue),
    2. Push 'reset' on the satellite to reset the device and wait for solid blue light,
    3. Once solid blue is visible, go on router admin via web interface and go to 'Attached Devices'. You should see a "netgear" device via 'wired' in the list under "Connected Devices". Note the IP address and open it in a new tab,

4. Login using your the credentials you used in step 3. If those don't work, try the default admin/password ("password" is the actual password) which worked for me; from there you should see the firmware version,
    5. If the version is not the same as the one downloaded earlier, go to 'Firmware Upgrade', then 'Browse' and select the .cfk file from the RBS-750 (pick RBS, not RBR), and let it do its jobs; the satellite will eventually reboot, it takes a little while,
  5. Unplug ethernet and power from your satellite and repeat step 4.1 to 4.5 with every other satellites you have.
  6. Once done, it is time to upgrade the router firmware:
    1. Disconnect all satellites from the router, unplug power from satellites; your computer is still connected to router via ethernet,
    2. In the router admin interface, go to "Advanced" tab > Administration > Firmware Update > "Manual Update" tab,
    3. Click "Browse" and select the .chk from the RBR-750 folder (not RBS), click "Upload" and let it do its job, until the router restart and shows no light (or solid white).
  7. Plug power back to satellites (no ethernet); they should automatically sync with the router (show solid blue light). It take a little while.
  8. Once both satellites show a solid blue, go to the router admin interface > "Attached Devices"; you should now see both routers in the "Connected Satellites" section (not in the "Connected Devices" section anymore).

And that, should resolve the issue of satellites not connecting to your router. The whole process takes a little while, especially when you reset/reboot devices as they take a few minutes to be ready. Any questions, please feel free to ask in this thread. I will try my best to help.

A bit of background: this issue has been caused by Netgear themselves. They pushed an update to either satellites or router without pushing the update to the other device, as such devices were using different firmware versions and were not able to properly sync. To me the issue started around May 25th.

Message 6 of 8
jcl28211
Tutor

Thanks.  I got to step 4.3, but the admin page doesn't show the satellite as wired with an IP address and it looks the same as before.  I was able to see an IP address on the app however and used it to access the satellite via a web browser as you suggested.  As expected, the satellites had an updated firmware.  I was able to work through the process as described and now everything is up and working again.  Thanks for the help and hopefully others will find this helpful if they find themselves in a similar situation. 

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7