Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR750 Sends Logs Constantly

mike528
Aspirant

RBR750 Sends Logs Constantly

Starting a few months back, my Orbi sends logs 5-10 times per days with only 11 lines of DHCP and UPnP events. I've tried different intervals and even turning it off from sending yesterday and received 6 emails.  I am on firmware 4.6.8.2.

Any ideas on how to get this to stop or at least pay attention to the settings I've selected.

Thanks

Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR750 Sends Logs Constantly

What all do you have connected device wise? 

Do you have all the logging options selected? Items that the RBR will track?

So disabling the email logging option is still seeing logs being sent? 

Might try v.5 FW:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR750-RBS750-Firmware-Version-4...

I'm on it now...I have email logs enabled and set for daily at 6AM, I do get additional logs in between, about 3-4. 

Message 2 of 9
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

@mike528 

When logs are E-Mailed off schedule (ie. multiple times during the day when set for once a day mailing) that means the logs are filling up and the system is E-Mailing and clearing (or supposed to be clearing).

There are a couple of issues we have identified with router logs and have brought those issues up to Netgear Engineers.   These issues include:

E-Mailed Logs only containing a few lines (anywhere from 1 - 27).

Logs not properly clearing (resulting in multiple occurrences of logs being mailed)

Duplicated entries (or blocks of entries) in the logs - goes back to not clearing properly.

This is the first report of someone disabling the mailing of the logs - but they continue to be mailed.   After you disabled mailing of the logs and hit apply - did you reboot the router?   Not saying it will help, but it may.  I've seen instances where an actual reboot is required for a change to totally take effect.

Unfortunately, we are in a Catch-22.  We asked users who were experiencing rebotos to enable E-Mailing of logs, because we are seeing that enabling E-Mailing of router logs stops many of the reboots.  But then the logs are not correct which point to issues with logs.

Message 3 of 9
mike528
Aspirant

I have about 20+ devices connected, PCs, phones, tablets, smart TVs, home automation devices,etc.

I currently have the second logs according to this schedule set to None. Include in Log is checked with everything other than Attempted access to allowed sites. 

Thanks

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you Disable the email logging fully by unchecking the Check box next to Enable Email Logging? 

Message 5 of 9
mike528
Aspirant

And so it continues ... but now I experience internet connection drops, a couple of times per day, most times it comes back. And now my logs have gotten much longer. mostly filled with the DHCP message for IPs assigned to the satellites! And I still get them emailed to me 5-15 times per day, regardless of the setting in the router.

This is repeated in the logs with the datetime stamps every 30 - 45 secs.

[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.13)] to MAC address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:53, Friday, Sep 09,2022 09:46:46

[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.13)] to MAC address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:53, Friday, Sep 09,2022 09:46:18

[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.16)] to MAC address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:D3, Friday, Sep 09,2022 09:45:57

[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.16)] to MAC address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:D3, Friday, Sep 09,2022 09:45:00

I upgraded the firmware last weekend. I am at the point where this Orbi goes on e-bay and I get something other than NetGear. It's very frustrating, and I work from home so this constant interruption costs me $$$.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Factory reset and setup from scratch on the RBR. Turn OFF the RBS for this. Set up and get the RBR up and running and this time don't enable email logging. Email logging is not needed to prevent mysterious reboots. That was fixed back on v.9.9 we believe. I've not seen any mysterious reboots since then and I'm on v.11 now. 

Message 7 of 9
mike528
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 

Am I correct in understanding that as long as I use the same name and WiFi passwords I won't have to reconfigure all of my connected devices? 

Also, after factory resetting, I assume it will go back to the original firmware, did you update before adding satelites back? And do the satelites need any sort of factory reset as well?

Thanks for your help.

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

@mike528 wrote:

@FURRYe38 

Am I correct in understanding that as long as I use the same name and WiFi passwords I won't have to reconfigure all of my connected devices? Yes. 

Also, after factory resetting, I assume it will go back to the original firmware, did you update before adding satellites back? No. FW version remains the same.

And do the satellites need any sort of factory reset as well? No, just the RBR.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7