Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR750 Trying to create two SSIDs - segmenting the 2G from the 5G

DazedConfused
Aspirant

RBR750 Trying to create two SSIDs - segmenting the 2G from the 5G

I'm reason for attempting to segement the two signals is I'm attenpting to connect to a Amazon Blink Synch module. There seems to be a problem with the synch module when the SSID is dual signal, 2.4 and 5Ghz. So...

I've read all kinds of articles and videos stating you can segment the Orbi AP creating two SSIDs done using Telnet, just to find out that the RBR750 doesn't allow you to turn Telnet on. 

Anyone ever attempt it and if so how, Blink or Telnet utilizing the RBR750?

Message 1 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR750 Trying to create two SSIDs - segmenting the 2G from the 5G

The blink module setup instructions are similar to most Internet of things (IoT) devices.

https://support.blinkforhome.com/en_US/xt2-and-xt/how-to-set-up-blink 

When powered up and 'blinking blue', the module creates a very simple WiFi access point with an SSID of "BLINK0####".

Section II, Step 6, says to "Join" this WiFi.  Does this step work?

Step 7 is where the Sync module will display a list of 2.4G WiFi access points.  The Orbi broadcasts a 2.4G WiFi signal which the sync module should be able to recognize.  (It does not matter that the Orbi also creates a 5G WiFi signal because the Blink module has no 5G WiFi radio and cannot detect anything on the 5G frequency.)  Does the Orbi WiFi SSID appear?

If the Orbi WiFi does not appear, I would try moving the sync module into the same room with the Orbi router and try there.

Message 2 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Separation of SSID or Telnet is not supported on Orbi AX systems.

@DazedConfused wrote:

I'm reason for attempting to segement the two signals is I'm attenpting to connect to a Amazon Blink Synch module. There seems to be a problem with the synch module when the SSID is dual signal, 2.4 and 5Ghz. So...

I've read all kinds of articles and videos stating you can segment the Orbi AP creating two SSIDs done using Telnet, just to find out that the RBR750 doesn't allow you to turn Telnet on. 

Anyone ever attempt it and if so how, Blink or Telnet utilizing the RBR750?

Message 3 of 15
DazedConfused
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. Followed the instructions and yes the SSID is visable. At the blue blinking light of the Blink Synch module, my phone connects to its SSID, then attempts to connect to the Blink Servers. After a few seconds the red light illuminates on the Synch module and failure message appears on my phone. I've done this numberous times mostly sitting not more than a few feet from the AP. 

I did get it synch with the servers once by using another phone as a hot spot in hopes that once it got its firmware update that it may corect things. 

Wiresharked the tranmissions and I can see the DHCP request from the Blink module is satisified with an IP followed by an ARP to the gateway address and nothing after that. I can ping the gateway while on the same network so that's not the issue. I've read and heard from other network professionals that some of the devices have difficulty with dual band APs and even the Blink KB suggest turning off the 5G on the AP. Unfortantly the Orbi RBR750 doesn't provide the flexibility to disable, segment or create additional SSIDs.

I have been kind of happy with the Orbi but my old AP, a Meraki, offered much more flexibility. 

Message 4 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

If your looking for that ability, you might check out Orbi Pro SXK systems. Orbi Home systems have never supported those features. 

Message 5 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

How bizarre.  I must not be reading the instructions correctly.

Step 6: Connect to BLINK-####.  This works?

Step 7: Select WiFi network. This works?

Step 8. Enter WiFi password. This works?

Step 9: Add Sync Module. Tap "Done" and this is where it fails?

Does the Orbi Attached Devices show the Blink sync module as connected with an IP address?

By any chance could this Orbi be set to "not allow new devices to connect" (Security menu under Access Control)?

Message 6 of 15
DazedConfused
Aspirant

Access control is grey out on the Orbi. The Orbi is in AP mode not Router Mode, access control is turned off. The Orbi is wired to an Arrius Cable Modem.

I never do see the MAC of the Blink in the Orbi connection table but the transaction happens fast for the GUI to update. 

Is there a log file for attempts or any reporting like that in the Orbi?

Thanks for the ideas and questions.

Message 7 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 8 of 15
DazedConfused
Aspirant

I do see the Blink in the MAC and IP in the Arrius Cable Modem offline table. So it made a connection somewhere along the way.

Message 9 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

@DazedConfused wrote:

Is there a log file for attempts or any reporting like that in the Orbi?

My original Orbi (pre-AX) has a log file that includes DHCP assignments, but my Orbi is in router mode, not AP mode.

One of the items that can be logged on my Orbi is "wireless access", which I have checked, but I do not see log messages that seem to mention "wireless access" and the Help information on the log screen does not describe what it might mean.

Maybe the ISP router keeps a log?

This is a real puzzle.

• The blink sync module has obviously connected to the Orbi WiFi and received an IP address from the ISP modem.
    This would indicate 'success' all the way to clicking "Done" in Step 9.
  • But then the sync module has decided to turn red and become unresponsive.

This doesn't look like the Orbi WiFi is the problem, but I have no idea what is.  Maybe it's a dud?

(When people have 'issues' with connecting IoT devices to Orbi, I often buy anything under $25 and see what happens.  One Blink camera with sync module comes in at $50 and my house is already full of cameras.)

Message 10 of 15
DazedConfused
Aspirant

Cable Modem - 

Model:TG862G
Hardware Revision:5

Orbi RBR750
Frm Rev - V4.6.5.14_2.0.54
Message 11 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

Would it be useful to discuss the decision to put the RBR750 into Access Point mode?

There are specific situations where having "two routers" (the dreaded Double-NAT) causes problems. Internet searches turn up examples of things that Double NAT interferes, OpenVPN into the LAN, forwarding ports to LAN servers or security cameras, certain internet games.  In those cases, either the ISP device has to be put into "bridge" or "passthru" mode and the Orbi can be left in router mode. Or, the Orbi can be placed in the ISP router DMZ and left in router mode. Or, the Orbi can be put in AP  mde.

It is my position that thousands of customers are so technically challenged that they simply plug in their new WiFi system, turn it on, and use it, often with the WiFi credentials printed on the label.  They are not aware of anything wrong.  Those who are a bit more advanced install the Orbi app and 'configure' their WiFi system's SSID/password.  The Orbi app does not provide a mechanism to put the Orbi into AP mode. (or access any other 'advanced' features)  My point is not that Double NAT is desirable, only that it seems not to be a serious issue for many customers.

I see all sorts of posts on the forum regarding the 750 model and AP mode.  Perhaps it is just idle curiosity, but maybe it would be interesting to see if the blink sync module will connect correctly to the Orbi in router mode.

Of course, if the AP decision was because of those specific issues, and the other options are not applicable.

(If I can't solve the problem, at least I can muddy the water.)

Message 12 of 15
DazedConfused
Aspirant

I was thinking it was a dud a well, until the phone hot spot test and that worked. I hate inconsistency!! 

Most of the stuff I've been reading suggests segmenting the 5G from the 2.4 and that's where we started this party.

I need Telnet capabilities to the Orbi and it looks like debug.htm there is no Telnet to my Orbi. AUGH!!!

Message 13 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

@DazedConfused wrote:

I need Telnet capabilities to the Orbi and it looks like debug.htm there is no Telnet to my Orbi. AUGH!!!

Oh, it's worse than that.  Netgear removed telnet from the original Orbi debug options with the latest firmware release.

There is a Python script that can enable telnet from the network. I use it all the time on my RBR50 and RBS50.

Alas, I cannot make the Python script work with the RBS40V satellite.  I have asked people to try the script on the AX Orbi and they report failure.

How about this: Power off the Orbi system.  Go into the Arris and enable WiFi with the same credentials as the Orbi (SSID/password).

Connect the blink module to the Arris WiFi and get it set up.

Then disable the Arris WiFi and turn on the Orbi.

Worth a try?

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What mode is the ISP modem working in? 

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT

@DazedConfused wrote:

Cable Modem - 

Model:TG862G
Hardware Revision:5

Orbi RBR750
Frm Rev - V4.6.5.14_2.0.54

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos