Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR750 and 2 RBS750, nightmares, almost non-usable

RabieL
Aspirant

RBR750 and 2 RBS750, nightmares, almost non-usable

I purchased 2 RBK752 kits, but currently working with 1 Router and 2 Satellites. 

From day 1 when I first configured it I started to see issues as my iphone had hard time connecting to it - it keeps trying and doesn't get an IP. after some time it gets one.

I thought it will be just bootstrap issues, but after 4 months of use I still tackle issues every day.

Sometimes my devices loose WIFI connections although the satellite near them seems OK - not flashing and in the web interface it shows 2 satellites are up-running - but one satellite had 0 devices connected while it's surrounded by 10s of devices trying to connect.

Sometimes even the wired devices loose connection and cannot get IP.

Also worth mentioning that after a reboot of the router or the satellites it take hours, even days, to get all the devices to get connected.

I will describe the setup I have, but I'm sure you wanna know more stuff, just let know what is missing and how to get it and I post it.

I'm using RBR750 as a Router, 2 RBS750 connected wired with it, one from same kit, one from other kit. both get synced with the router

Connected to the router is my Modem/Router (DSL-G256DG), which cannot be configured as Modem only or bridge, so currently it's configured as a router as well with one client - the RBR750. (I know this is called double NAT, but configuring it well worked for me with the previous mesh system, so I guess also with Orbi it should work).

I have about 40-50 devices, most are IoT, few TVs, smartphones and few laptops.

I updated the RBR and RBS with latest FW: 

V7.2.6.21_5.0.20

but I still face these issues.

appreciate your help.

Message 1 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A STP is recommended. 

What model iPhone and what version of iOS is on this phone?
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR📡 and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wired or wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

Does this happen with the RBS turned OFF? 
Does this happen with both wireless and wired devices? 
What channel configurations are currently set on the router?  

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Be sure to disable any MAC Address randomizers on phones and pads while at home:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/NETGEAR-Mobile-Applications-and-Apple-Devices-FAQ/td-p/222...

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Smart Parental Controls or Circle, Traffic Meter.

Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 2 of 22
RabieL
Aspirant

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? Dlink DSL-G256DG
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A STP is recommended.  using cat6

What model iPhone and what version of iOS is on this phone? iphone 11 pro , IOS 17
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? I have 3 floors, each is about 1700 Sq feet, I have the router in the middle floor, and two cables connects the 2 satellites in the other floors.
What is the distance between the router and  satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR

and RBS️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wired or wirelessly connected. I would say wired 10m (it's different floors, but air-distance may be 4-5 meters.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌

Does this happen with the RBS turned OFF? I didn't check.
Does this happen with both wireless and wired devices? yes
What channel configurations are currently set on the router? 

2.4 GHz ChannelAuto (2)

2.4 GHz Wireless mode:Up to 573.5 Mbps

5 GHz Channel36 + 40 + 44 + 48(P)

5 GHz Wireless mode:Up to 1201 Mbps

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? not so close.

Be sure to disable any MAC Address randomizers on phones and pads while at home: I did this for my phone but it didn't help him much.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/NETGEAR-Mobile-Applications-and-Apple-Devices-FAQ/td-p/222...

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Smart Parental Controls or Circle, Traffic Meter. all is off I guess

Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings I will try

Message 3 of 22
CrimpOn
Guru

@RabieL wrote:

Connected to the router is my Modem/Router (DSL-G256DG), which cannot be configured as Modem only or bridge, so currently it's configured as a router as well with one client - the RBR750

When I search for DSL-G256DG, I wind up on this D-Link page:

https://support.dlink.com/resource/PRODUCTS/DSL-2740B/REVA/DSL-2740B_DATASHEET_1.00_EN.PDF 

Is this the router?

Message 4 of 22
RabieL
Aspirant

I tried this:

Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes

Didn't help much, now my devices are trying to connect without success.

From the Iphone I can see that it keeps loosing it's IP (gets 169.... instead of 192.168...).. and only after many retries - several minutes or more, it succeed to get it's real IP, but then it looses it again...

Message 5 of 22
RabieL
Aspirant

No, I think it's customized one for the ISP, here I found some English information about it.

https://mypc2020.co.il/Catalog.asp?Page=NewShowProd.asp&PRodID=1981676

Message 6 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop
Try option #2 first...

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.

Turn OFF the RBS and just test with the RBR alone for now. 

So the RBS are ethernet connected to the RBR? If so, how are they connected, is there a LAN switch or patch panel in between the RBR and RBS? Brand and model of switch if one is in use please.

Message 7 of 22
RabieL
Aspirant

Hi,

I already configured #2, but it doesn't help.

before Orbi I also had a mesh system connected to this Modem-Router and I had no issues.

I have disabled its WIFI, and configured DMZ.

Message 8 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Turn OFF the RBS and just test with the RBR alone for now. 

So the RBS are ethernet connected to the RBR? If so, how are they connected, is there a LAN switch or patch panel in between the RBR and RBS? Brand and model of switch if one is in use please.

Message 9 of 22
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for finding the reference.

You might consider the nuclear option of doing a Factory Reset.

https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings 

Use exactly the same WiFi credentials so that WiFi devices will not have to be configured again in order to connect.

It does not appear that Netgear supports Hebrew on this model (on any model?)  What language is used for entries? (SSID, passwords, etc.)

As you are aware, a Double NAT can make specific applications difficult to set up, but should have nothing to do with devices connecting to the Orbi LAN and receiving IP assignments.  When my Orbi is power cycled, everything is back on line within minutes. Never "hours" or "days".

Message 10 of 22
RabieL
Aspirant

Hi,

I set 2.4G channel to 11 (I see it using 11P+7S)

I set 5G channel to 48 (I see it using 36+40+44+48P)

and I still facing the issue.

regarding power off the RBS and use only RBR I can check it only tomorrow - as I need to change a floor.

Message 11 of 22
RabieL
Aspirant

All configurations are in English - so no worries 🙂

I'm familiar with the double NAT configuration but as you said my issues seems different.

regarding factory reset, I tried few times during the week of the first installation and it didn't help.

Message 12 of 22
RabieL
Aspirant

regarding the RBS-RBR connection, I do have at least one LAN switch in-between, it's tp-link TL-SG105E. I'm not sure if there is another one in the way but I can check that tomorrow as well.

Message 13 of 22
RabieL
Aspirant

I guess I have 2 switches between the RBR and RBS, one TP-link TL-SG105E and one POE switch Hik DS-3E0105P-E/M

Message 14 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Let try with the RBR alone for now. 

Then can you disconnect one RBS from the ethernet connection and let it wirelessly sync to the RBR? 

Message 15 of 22
RabieL
Aspirant

Tried with RBR only, same issue, took my iphone half an hour to get a stable connection.
Message 16 of 22
RabieL
Aspirant

Tried with RBR only, same issue, took my iphone half an hour to get a stable connection.

Regarding the channel selection, as I replied previously, I did select the channels manually, and I posted the status after reboot (I don't know if any other option is available for choosing the channels).

Any next steps to resolve the issue ? 

Should I attach some logs or anything helpful to identify the problem ?

Thanks

Message 17 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

What iPhone model do you have?

What iOS is loaded on the iPhone? 

Do other iPhones or pads exhibit this problem? 

I ran my 750 series last month for a bit. I have a iPhone 12 Pro Max with iOS 16.5 loaded on it. Saw no issues with it connecting. I also have WIFI Private IP Address disabled while I'm at home. 

Manual channels 1 and 40 on mine and 40Mhz channel width only as well. 

Message 18 of 22
RabieL
Aspirant

What iPhone model do you have? IPhone 11 pro

What iOS is loaded on the iPhone? 17.1.2

Do other iPhones or pads exhibit this problem? yes, and other devices not only Apple, my Lenovo laptop, my LG TV and others. 

I just checked if the solution worked on my IPhone and it didn't.

I'm sure this is not a common problem with all setups, as I see this series has high rating. But seems I have a problem in my setup/configuration so I need your help to identify it.

Message 19 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Might give this a try. 

Bring the RBS to same or near by the RBR. Allow them to wirelessly sync. 
I would download the v7 FW files for the RBS and RBR to you local PC desktop. 
Have this PC ethernet connected. 

Using a MS Edge or Opera web browser, Log into each RBS web page and send the RBS FW file there to each. As the RBS get the FW update, go head and update the RBR using the RBR file using same process. 

Allow the RBS and RBR to process the file. Once the system is back up and running and RBS are synced, power OFF the RBS then RBR for 1 minute then back ON. 

After the system is back online and RBS are connected. Turn OFF the RBS for now. 

I'd make sure any mac address randomizers are disabled on phones and pads. 

Set manual channel 1 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and channel 40 or 48 on 5Ghz on the RBR. 

Don't enable any Armor or Traffic Meter features. 

Don't connect any LAN switches to the RBR. 

Run with the RBR along and test to see if the devices are still not connecting right or problem is still present. 

Message 20 of 22
RabieL
Aspirant

I already have the v7 FW loaded on them. Do you think I need to re-burn it or maybe it’s better to factory reset them while on the v7 firmware and set them again one by one?
Message 21 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, that's what I'm suggesting. Re-load FW files on to the RBS and RBR. After power cycle, up to you to FR reset and setup from scratch. I would. 

Wondering if something on the RBR is mis-behaving or going bad. But lets try all troubleshooting first. 

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7