Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR750 and RBS350 Ethernet

seewoop
Aspirant

RBR750 and RBS350 Ethernet

Hello, I'm noticing that my satellites do not show they're connected to ethernet anymore. I originally swapped the cords out from 5e to Cat6, thinking that was the initial problem. I did switch back to 5e to see if the issue comes back up. But it wasn't. The whole story is:

My router: RBR750

2x Satellites: RBS350

In my Orbi app, my router shows it has an ethernet connection. (perfect!)

My satellite 1 is in the garage and is synced via wifi. (also perfect!)

Satellite 2 is in my bedroom which is the furthest from everyone and is a dead zone so I have it connected via ethernet (currently back on 5e but was on Cat6). 

My internet speed should be around or a little above 300 mbps. Ethernet and wifi straight to the modem and router is great!

Lately, I've had issues with Satellite 2 randomly disconnecting. It is supposed to be hardwired but Orbi app and local admin via my local IP portal say it's connected/synced via wifi/wireless.

I believe this started occurring after the firmware update: v4.6.14.13

I assumed it was one of the satellites that was going out so I brought Satellite 1 to my room, it's still the same thing; connection through wifi instead of ethernet. 

What am I doing wrong?

Message 1 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR750 and RBS350 Ethernet

The attached network diagram shows the satellite as "not connected". (Notice the slash mark through the WiFi symbol.

I am much more confident in the Orbi web interface Attached Devices information about Orbi satellites.

Are you able to access the web interface and see what it reports about the two satellites?

(using a laptop or tablet.  phone screens are too small to be practical with the web interface.)

It would help to know more about the Ethernet connecting the router to satellite.  Is it:

• In house wiring that has been terminated in RJ45 plugs/jacks, plus perhaps a patch panel and/or drop cables on one or both ends?
  • Or, a purchased Ethernet cable that was snaked through the house (perhaps through an attic) and is connected directly to the router and satellite?  (no home terminations. no wall jacks. no patch panels or switches)

My next step would be to connect a computer in place of that wired satellite and verify that it gets a good connection to the router.  (Alas, now that fewer people purchase desktop computers and laptops no longer are equipped with Ethernet ports, this has become somewhat impractical for many users.  I purchased some Ethernet to USB adapters so that I can connect such laptops, tablets, and Chromebooks directly to Ethernet.  Under $20 on Amazon.  Not something that a "non-nerd" would find much use for.)

The second step would be to temporarily relocate that wired satellite to the same room as the router and connect it with an Ethernet cable.  Not only should Attached Devices depict it as 'wired', but the Advanced Tab home page Show Statistics box should show the LAN port as connected 1000M/Full.

Message 2 of 7
seewoop
Aspirant

OH yes, ignore the satellite that is disconnected. I swapped it with #1 to see if it was the satellite hardware issue. it's the same for either one. I just haven't reconnected satellite 2 back yet.

Satellite one is in place of satellite 2

Message 3 of 7
seewoop
Aspirant

1) In-house wiring connected to a panel in the basement. built-in modem to the home so an ethernet connection is available throughout the house. 

2) the ethernet cable is purchased third party and connected from house port to satellite then another cord from satellite to my multi-dock. 
--- without the satellite, ethernet connects just fine to my computer fromt he wall. 

3) my MSI stealth still has an ethernet port so it works directly and with the dock. (Stone Pro Tb4)

4) relocation currently has a direction connection to the ethernet port so relocating is kinda of out of the picture. on wifi it's fine, so location isn't the issue. but there's a specific reason why i want it to be wired. 

Yes, my LAN is connected to 1000M/FULL

Message 4 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for explaining why one satellite shows as disconnected.

The point of relocating a satellite to be next to the router and connecting them with a short Ethernet cable is to verify that the satellite will indeed switch from WiFi to 'wired' backhaul.  If it does not, then the issue  must be with the router-satellite connection, not with the in-house wiring.  If the satellite does switch to 'wired' connection when next to the router, then something about the in-house wiring is preventing the switch.

In understand now that the mention of using both Cat5e and Cat6 cables was in reference to the cable between the wall outlet and the satellite.  Thanks.

Message 5 of 7
seewoop
Aspirant

Ok so this morning I woke up and it's showing wired now. After a week of trying to figure things out, I guess it finally resolved itself. I'm going to switch to cat6 but right now 5e fixed it.
Message 6 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Cat5e and Cat6 are both capable of gigabit Ethernet up to 90 meters.  Inside a typical house, there is practical difference.  For an Ethernet patch cable of 8-10ft both perform identically.  Investing in higher rated (and more costly) cables cannot do any harm, but is not necessary unless there is considerable distance to consider.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7