Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR750 speeds - Is this expected?

jumpyg123
Tutor

RBR750 speeds - Is this expected?

Hello, 

I'm testing speeds around the house with my Pixel 7 phone using the Ookla Speedtest app. 

Anyway, I was wondering if these speeds are good, and if upgrading to a newer model Orbi would produce better results. 

I have Xfinity 800Mbps service, upload speeds seem to hover around 22-23 Mbps under all conditions, so I'm focusing on download speeds. 

Orbi app: 940Mbps

Next to router (2nd floor): 750

Bedroom (2nd floor, two rooms away): 501

Next to satellite 1 (1st floor): 549

Office (1st floor, two rooms away from sat 1): 564

Next to satellite 2 (basement): 492

Do those speeds seem to make sense? I'm not sure how much of a decrease I should expect being near a satellite vs. the main router. 

Both satellites are connected wirelessly. The basement satellite is next to a TV that I have connected via ethernet to the main router. Does it make more sense to connect the satellite to that ethernet cable and then connect the TV to the satellite via an additional ethernet cable? 

Thanks, appreciate any insight! 

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Those are pretty solid speeds. 

You might be able to get a little faster but I don't think your investment would be worth it because it'd cost quite a bit. 

Plus you really don't need faster speeds. Even streaming 4k only needs 25-40mbps. So if you're hitting upwards of 500mbps anywhere in your house, your speeds are plenty fast to do anything you need. You might see a benefit if you're doing a lot of massive file uploads but otherwise, its not the bottleneck in performance. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Those are pretty solid speeds. 

You might be able to get a little faster but I don't think your investment would be worth it because it'd cost quite a bit. 

Plus you really don't need faster speeds. Even streaming 4k only needs 25-40mbps. So if you're hitting upwards of 500mbps anywhere in your house, your speeds are plenty fast to do anything you need. You might see a benefit if you're doing a lot of massive file uploads but otherwise, its not the bottleneck in performance. 

Message 2 of 7
jumpyg123
Tutor

Thanks, that's helpful!

Another question: I notice big speed differences depending on the device (all using Speedtest's app and the same test server). At the same spot in my office, my HP work laptop gets 282Mbps down, my Lenovo personal laptop gets 403Mbps and my Pixel 7 phone gets 536Mbps. Both laptops have Wifi 6, I checked the drivers. Is that normal?  

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

Each device maker is going to have certain efficiencies. Its why actual throughput tends to be 55-65% of link speed. 

Plus each one could be different antenna setups. A device with only a 1x1 antenna will have half the speed of a 2x2 device. 

Plus you'll see a significant speed different from 2.4ghz to 5ghz. 

Plus obstructions in the wall/interference/etc. 

Message 4 of 7
Phyber
Luminary

Those are similar to what I have with Xfinity (940/25) measured with the RBR750 app and SpeedTest on my iPhone and iPad.

Both of my upstairs satellites are hard wired to the router downstairs and I get in the 700-800's with both satellites. The iPhone and iPad (including the M1 MacBook Pro) are WiFi 6 capable.

One of the satellites that I have upstairs is connected to a gigabit switch that I use to hardwired the upstairs home theater system. The satellites are hardwired with solid copper core CAT-6 cabling (non-CCA/CCS).

Message 5 of 7
jumpyg123
Tutor

Thanks, Phyber. I checked and I have Cat5 ethernet cable, but I ran it myself, so I could replace it with Cat6 and connect both satellites with ethernet. That sounds like it should boost my Wifi performance quite a bit. I like it! 

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

How my RBS are connected. Wire will always have better performance then wireless. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7